Notices

addicted?

Old 04-13-2005, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

addicted?

Hi all.. I have been reading quite a bit on this site and have a question. I read that many feel once they start drinking they feel they cannot stop "one leads to many". When I drink, I get to the point that I will and want to stop because I do not want to get drunk and feel bad the next day (for work or whatever) or to watch something on TV etc.. How do you define that? Is that a addiction or a habit or what? Has anyone else experienced this? Additionally, I will only allow myself to smoke if I am having a drink, therefore I am not sure which is the addiction. Thanks..
Old 04-13-2005, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It varies so much from person to person I guess. Some people are 'binge' drinkers, and even though they drink just a few times a week or less, they drink a phenomenal amount in a given time. Others are more chronic daily drinkers. l drank consistently every day after work, and the amount just gradually increased over a long period of time. I didn't start to drink on an almost daily basis until in my 30's, and was functional, but later on became less functional, which led to guilt. A shrink I was seeing for post-divorce problems suggested that I might have a problem with alcohol. I denied it at the time, but looking back honestly, I knew I had a problem years before...maybe even the first sip I ever took--I liked it that much.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Well

I drank for many years socially. Slowly and without any specific reason...I was drinking more and it began to impact on my life.

Depression drove me into recovery. My standard of living looked great. Inside I was empty and dark.

Are you addicted? Heck I dont know. Why not have a medical assessment to settle your mind?

Why are you concerned if alcohol is not a problem?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for responding. Sara- How long did you drink on a daily basis before you quit? Was it actually every day? Did you get drunk or just have a couple and stop?

Carol- I feel its a problem because I enjoy it (well beer at least, I don't like any other type of alcohol). I just don't like it to affect my life in a negative way (interrupt work or exercise). I especially am addicted to smoking while drinking. If I am out of cigerettes I will not drink. Looks pretty simple and stupid when I read what I write. Thanks for the help Bren
Old 04-13-2005, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Unhappy

Hi Bren..

I am sorry if I sounded dismissive. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain.

If you are concerened about drinking..then it is a problem for you.

Have you considered not drinking? What does it add to your life?

Millions do not smoke or drink beer. I hope you will join them.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Bren, If you think that you have drinking problum that is up to you to decide.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Brenda1- I very much relate - I did not drink every day , never in the am , nor did I seek my next drink. some days I could drink two or three glasses of wine and be fine ... a week later I could have two and say " I'm fine , I'll have three -and not be able to stop. I am now in AA and attending out - patient therapy for substance abuse.
This all crept up on me. In my twenty days of treatment , I have found a common thread - if you are questioning your habits , there is something to examine. See your regular MD and be HONEST . I was not, and waisted a lot of time.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
pav

You have found this place and you're actively posting. You already know you have a problem, feel you have a problem, somewhere deep inside...