Notices

Online Shopping - OT

Old 04-12-2005, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Online Shopping - OT

Yesterday I went to a couple of video stores to try to find a few recovery movies. I found that they didn't have much that wasn't fairly new, and if they did it was only in VHS and all I have is a DVD player. I was thinking of looking online, but have never made an online purchase. I have recently aquired a Visa check card, after years of not having a checking account due to the disastrous combination of drinking and gambling while living in Montana. I have no idea how it's done and how to do it safely. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Doorknob
Old 04-12-2005, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Mmmm...
Credit card advice?
Not from me man

Send a PM to Time2Surrender.
He's a movie freak and shops online, as near as I know.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Try netflix.com
Old 04-12-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Hey doorknob, I don't know about shopping online like dan said check with T2S.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Did someone mention my name? I rent all my movies through NetFlix .You can purchase DVD's new and used at Amazon And a safe way to buy on-line is PayPal .Nothing On-line is 100% safe.Just like off-line too.Identity theft is growing fast.I have never had any problems using my credit cards on-line.Its always wise to just carefully read your statements each month.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Have to offer a second for Netflix. 40,000 movies available, you should be able to find something there. If you are looking to buy you might try e-bay too, though be careful, that can become an addiction in itself. Also have to agree Paypal is a great way to go, very safe, my brother helped write the security code!! His old college roommate was one of the co-founders. Both are under 30 and now retired!! Sorry, had to brag a little!!

Peace,

Tyler
Old 04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah,the internet has made a couple people rich.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks! I guess you just go to the sites and follow the instructions. :doh: I always make a mountain out of things I haven't tried. I'll give'er a go!

DK
Old 04-12-2005, 03:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah,go to the PayPal site and it will walk you through the instructions.And you can go to NetFlix and get a free 30 day trial.They will still ask for you payment info.But if you cancel within 30 days you will not be charged.I pay $17.99 month for 3 movies at a time.I average about 20 movies a month.So,thats less than $1 per movie.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

Told ya Time2 was the man for this stuff
Old 04-12-2005, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is also not a bad idea to get a separate credit card with a very low credit limit so that if they get your details they haven't got any big credit amounts to work with.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also if you like obscure/independent movies that Netflix may not have you might try out www.greencine.com
Beware that when you sign up for Netflix you can't cancel anymore online, you have to call their 'representatives'. I won't sign up for them anymore because I was on hold for almost 2 hours waiting to be connected to someone so I could cancel and even then they tried to keep talking me into keeping the service. I just don't like to be hasseled by salespeople, if that doesn't bother you then...go ahead!
Were you looking for general recovery movies? Like looking for recommendations or just places to get them?
Csmcjewl
Old 04-15-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Michael

On-line shopping

I would support what Andy has told you. Get a card with a low credit limit and use it only for purchases on-line. Don't use it for day to day stuff and check the bill carefullly when it comes in. You will see right away if anyone is using your credit illegally. Never ever use a card on-line that pays money out from your savings / checking account.
Happy shopping
Michael
Old 04-15-2005, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Shoot! All I have is a Visa check card. Of course my account would never have more than a couple of hundred bucks in it. I pretty much live check to check. If I get to where I have more, I'll keep it in a savings and keep minimal in the checking. Would Paypal be the best way to go?

Doorknob
Old 04-15-2005, 05:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

You can actually have Netflix deduct directly from your checking account if you want to. Most banks will honor check cards with the same terms as credit cards regarding fraud. You may want to check with your bank, but mine has 0 responsibility for the customer in regards to fraud.

Peace,

Tyler