Notices

Reduced tolerence to drink after quitting?

Old 03-31-2005, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reduced tolerence to drink after quitting?

I've been drinking since I was 14/15...now I'm 21 and I've just stopped (6 weeks ago)...well I haven't 'stopped' but I went through detox.
The weird thing now, though, is that I have very little tolerance for drinking. I've done all kinds of drugs and had various addictions to them...and found the same thing...however I never expected it to happen with alcohol. Of course, I know it's a drug too...but I never really heard about the 'dangers' of drinking heavily after detox.
Before I was drinking a litre of vodka or more a day...I was actually quite functional on a litre and had to make it up another half litre before i felt as drunk as normal people. Now, I'm onto whiskey. I used to drink it before but vodka was my thing because it was cheaper. I can't stand vodka now as just the smell makes me nauseous but whiskey tastes lovely.
But I can only drink half a bottle of whiskey before I'm properly off my face and staggering around. I know the stuff I'm drinking is a little stronger than my normal vodka (40% instead of 37.5%)...but it doesn't explain just how blind drunk I'm getting on such a small amount.
Also, I'm getting much SICKER! I have almost constant diarrhoea and vomit much more than i used to...really forcefully too...enough to bring up blood from my ulcers.
I just generally feel worse than I did before detox.
now, I know you're all gonna say 'well don't drink then' but you know how 'easy' that is :/
Old 03-31-2005, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

Well, don't drink then.
That was easy to say.lol

I quit drinking at 23
Use to throw de 12 pack on the counter as a freshman in HS.

Some old farts in AA be tell'in I ain't alki, but drugie.
Must have been my long hair, or the way I dress.lol
there were very minmal young people in my AA group at the time.
I belive I was the yougest with a 10-20 years age different when
I firt came in into AA
I really wanted to beliving in taht. Not being an akli...holy scmoly

kaggers, clubs, bars and whatever else for beer drinking or whatever
the norm is.
Good lord...you know how times you gotta **** to catch a buzz
when drinking beer.

I graduated .lol
My favorite was Souther Comfort. Bottles of that stuff in my car,
in my desk at work.
I graduataed from that.
151 Barcarrdi straight....I hate ****'in all the time just get that feeling.

Oki doki,
I relapes 6 months ago.
Got drunk at first only on two wine coolers
Had six packs of wine coolers in the frigg after a while.
But I drank a bottle of Malibu every night, the white bottle.lol
Didn't even catch a buzz after a week or could never get into that zone again.
But I woke up physically sicker and sicker everyday, my body ached,
I had night sweats. And had it desire of wanting to hit bottle when I
first got up. I started asking people where I could score dope.
The damn store clerk putting the bottle in a bag and ringing it up
before I say anything brought back old memories.

This is after being clean and sober for 11 years.
That's my experiment, It didn't work, all it did was made me sicker
than a dog.

incurable and progressive.

We don't have to drink ya know. It's not like it's a requirement to live.
Beside alcohol is a depressent...I'm a happy go luckie kind of guy.

Pouring depressents into my system to try to feel better or okay.
You know....that dosen't make any sense.
I know I'm not stupid.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Red face

Hi Nutz n' Richey~~~
Thanx for the "sharin'"!!! I am 100%...not drinkin' today!! Lunachic
Old 03-31-2005, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richey
Before I was drinking a litre of vodka or more a day...I was actually quite functional on a litre and had to make it up another half litre before i felt as drunk as normal people.
Normal people dont get drunk.Alcoholics do.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender
Normal people dont get drunk.Alcoholics do.
Lol, you haven't been to my town then! That makes 80% of people under 25 here alcoholics.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

It was hard, real hard to stop at a young age.
Everybody I knew was drinking , partying or any type of social evens
drinking was involved. But of course if you got high it was taboo
or it was the wrong way to go about catching a buzz.lol

All of my friends, associates are alki or used drugs of some sort.
Hell even my parents drink like it was the norm or a way of life.
Work hard, party hard...let out steam.
No, we didn't live in a trailer park.

But hEEELLLL...no.
When I woke up and smell the roses and tried to do something
about my life or my problem or I couldn't live like that anymore.
The stigma or taboo crap again....oH my god, I'm an alcholic like
I'm a dreg of society or sum'in.

comments like
WTF...dude, you don't drink or party anymore...you gone off your rockers?
Pressure, pressure, pressure.

Yeah it wasn't easy to stop and stay stopped.
It wasn't easy to lived that way I lived either.
There has to be more to life than just working,getting wacked and tring
to fit in or doing the normal things that normal people do.
NormaLLY I used to get drunk..today I'm an alcoholic.lol

As time went on , life changed.
some people changed , some people didn't.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm normal or act normal.
I'm been changing the way I belive, think or act for the past 13 years.
It's much differnent today..There's peace,happiness,fun and love in my life
today and I didn't have to get drunk or high to get into that zone.
BTW..no hangovers.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I Don't Know

Originally Posted by Richey
I've been drinking since I was 14/15...now I'm 21 and I've just stopped (6 weeks ago)...well I haven't 'stopped' but I went through detox.
The weird thing now, though, is that I have very little tolerance for drinking. I've done all kinds of drugs and had various addictions to them...and found the same thing...however I never expected it to happen with alcohol. Of course, I know it's a drug too...but I never really heard about the 'dangers' of drinking heavily after detox.
Before I was drinking a litre of vodka or more a day...I was actually quite functional on a litre and had to make it up another half litre before i felt as drunk as normal people. Now, I'm onto whiskey. I used to drink it before but vodka was my thing because it was cheaper. I can't stand vodka now as just the smell makes me nauseous but whiskey tastes lovely.
But I can only drink half a bottle of whiskey before I'm properly off my face and staggering around. I know the stuff I'm drinking is a little stronger than my normal vodka (40% instead of 37.5%)...but it doesn't explain just how blind drunk I'm getting on such a small amount.
Also, I'm getting much SICKER! I have almost constant diarrhoea and vomit much more than i used to...really forcefully too...enough to bring up blood from my ulcers.
I just generally feel worse than I did before detox.
now, I know you're all gonna say 'well don't drink then' but you know how 'easy' that is :/

I spent many years playing with those chemistry sets A half of bottle :bravo you go guy. I could barely get a shot down while puking out my nose just to stop the shakes. Get blind drunk? It must still be working for you, keep doing the experiments for us and we will save you a seat , you posted here and I hope it was because you somewhere inside do want help...let us know when your ready we will be here for you.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Reduced tolerance?When I first started drinking at age 17,I could drink a fifth,and half a case of beer in an evening,when I quit 23 years later a pony of wine would have the same effect.My last drunk consisted of about 6 beers,plus my car was towed away,after spending the night in front of the bar I was in,in a no parking zone.Since I sobered up,my car hasn't been towed,I havn't lost my wallet,I havn't been rolled or beat up,and I havn't puked on my shoes in 32 years.I think I have made a lot of progress.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You always have decreased tolerance when your liver is somewhat returned to normal after abstinence. When you drink heavilly or chronically, your liver becomes enlarged, yellow and greasy....literally becomes filled with fat. When you stop drinking, your liver shinks down to normal size and starts metabolizing alcohol like a non-drinker. So you drink less; that is like a normal person.

If you continue to drink, with time, your liver will become shrunken, scarred, and about 1/3 the normal size...literally, it becomes a scar. Your tolerance will decrease, you'll have bleeding problems (blood clotting factors are made in the liver, so you'll bleed), you'll develop abnormal fluid collections because the proteins made by the liver to maintain fluid balance will be decreased, you'll become ill more frequently due to decreased immune function (immunoglobulins produced by the liver), you'll develop megaloblastic anemia, and worsening ulcers, just to mention a few effects of cirrhosis.

Who would drink, if they knew of these long-term effects of alcoholism? I did. It took a sort of 'rock bottom event' for me to quit. The event for me was KNOWING I had no control...I tried to stop, and started shaking like a mad person. I had never had blackouts, hangovers, nausea...anything. I was a chronic nightly drinker that progressed from nightly wine to nightly vodka, but remained functional. When I tried to quit, the only treatment for my shakes and dry heaves was alcohol. I went into treatment. And I told myself that I'd always remember withdrawal. But I've relapsed a few times since then, in spite of this negative experience, and in spite of all of my knowledge about the ill effects of alcohol. I love the effects of alcohol. Humans pursue pleasure; thats the way we're made. Alcoholics pursue pleasure until pleasure becomes pain or death.

I can't tell you how many stories I heard in treatment or in AA meetings about people who had stopped for years, and before long, they were right back where they started and worse. I don't want to find that out. At least, once you've become aware of some of the stories of alcoholics, it tends to scare you, and at least for me, my relapses have been short and few because of fear.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Richey

One possible reason is that Whiskey contains much more cogeners then vodka. cogeners are added toxins in alcohol which gives it its color and flavor. Basically, the darker the booze, the more cogeners. Vodka has next to none. Whiskey is loaded with them. Alcohol content is only one measure of how drunk a certain type of booze will get you.

So, if you must continue to drink, switch to another light alcohol, such as white rum. However, stear clear of abusing Gin..although low in cogeners, it is actually made by fermenting juniper berries, which when eaten straight can kill ya.

Hope this helps

Andy
Old 04-05-2005, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Urgh, picturing my liver fatty and swollen just makes me want to gag...seriously...I was about to have lunch but I'm gonna skip it. I'm also probably gonna skip drinking...at least for today.

Congeners...hmmm...i thought they only affected how hungover you felt. That's mainly why i drink vodka when im going on a massive binge.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your posts, as someone new on this journey (3 months), sometimes I have to remind myself why I'm doing this (especially after watching beer commercials on the final 4). Thinkin' about the physical consequences mentioned in these posts really helps motivate me to keep sober. rb