Notices

New here... Here's my story

Old 03-28-2005, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here... Here's my story

Hello all,

I'm a new member here, and I beleive I need some help kicking the habit of drinking.

I have always been a average drinker until a few years ago when I had a cocaine addiction, but that was kicked. I have been clean of that for 2 1/2 years now. Unfortunatly i feel that alchohol has been a crutch after that, and it has gone from drinking occasionally to drinking every night for the past 2 years.
It's not like I drink all day or anything, I work 12 hours a day. When I get home I will have 3-4 beers or a few rum/vodka and coke's... But I see the effect it is having on my in life and at work. I am being less productive, lazy, unpleasant.. I see that because I'm paid to see that in others.

I want to quit cold turkey, I dont think there is any other way for me. I have tried slowing down and having just 1 or 2 drinks a night, and after the first drink i end up losing the battle and drinking more.

Any advise/suggestions?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Hey ChoppedXL! Welcome to SoberRecovery.

Cold turkey quits are doable, as long as you're aware of the possible dangers.
Our bodies can react in mild or extreme ways when we take the juice away.
Here's a good link to read up on withdrawal...
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withd.../aa000125a.htm

Same story here basically. Ended a three year affair with cocaine in '90 and started drinking a few beers after work Friday nights.
Well, you know eh...

Glad you're here.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Chopped.Welcome to SoberRecovery.Have you tried AA yet?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender
Hey Chopped.Welcome to SoberRecovery.Have you tried AA yet?
No, I havent tried AA Yet. I really think i can kick it on my own without the need to go to meetings. I stopped cocaine cold turkey (except for the drinking) and I also quit smoking cold turkey (smoke free for 2 years as well).

The side effects of quitting those 2 were harsh, but not intolerable. I have never tried to quit drinking so i dont know if its any worse...

All my biker friends tell me to find Bill W. (I assume they mean the movie)
Old 03-28-2005, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Chopped; Glad that you are here and acknowledging help. Just a thought, but how long have you been using alcohol? Longer than the cocaine? Longer than the cigarettes? It may require some assistance once your last substance is removed. I have to agree with others, that it would be wise to consider AA or even NA.
All the best to you

My thoughts and prayers go out to you
Diana
Old 03-28-2005, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChoppedXL
No, I havent tried AA Yet. I really think i can kick it on my own without the need to go to meetings. I stopped cocaine cold turkey (except for the drinking) and I also quit smoking cold turkey (smoke free for 2 years as well).

The side effects of quitting those 2 were harsh, but not intolerable. I have never tried to quit drinking so i dont know if its any worse...

All my biker friends tell me to find Bill W. (I assume they mean the movie)
I tried to quit on my own many times.Sooner or later I was drinking again.Alcoholics Anonymous was the way for me.SMART Recovery is another good program with a different aproach than AA.I assume your friends are trying to tell you to get to an AA meeting.Thats how I found Bill W.My name is Bill W is a good movie every Alcoholic should check out.Its about Bill Wilson one of the founders of AA.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try Reading The AA Big Book On Line !

I also Tried Myself but kept loosong the battle.

Try This http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm

Keep Comming Back !

Keegasdad
Old 03-28-2005, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Co-founders of Alcoholics Anonymous. Dr. Bob is on the left and Bill W. is on the right.

When someone suggests finding Bill W., I believe what they are sharing with you is to find "Alcoholics Anonymous", where Bill W. and Dr. Bob's spirit can be found throughout.... in the passing on of the message of Hope

Old 03-28-2005, 06:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I found myself in your boat not too long ago - questioning whether or not I was actually and alcoholic, or if I just drank alot. I attended my first AA meeting with the idea to look for what will make me different from these folks? I am way too smart and self-reliant to be an alcoholic, "Those people" must be too weak to handle their own lives" Well, it wasn't long before the lightbulb went on. I can't tell you what you might find there, but I would think that just stopping by a meeting sure couldn't hurt, right?
Old 03-28-2005, 06:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi there Chopped

Welcome to SR - good for you for kicking those 2 addictions - awesome! Alcohol is a tough one - what I personally like about AA is that it looks at my addictio holistically and helps me to live a better life - while making amazing new friends and support system along the way. Check out the thread the secret ingredient of AA on the AA board - to me it sums up so nicely why AA is such a beautiful program - and you get to quit drinking BEFORE it escalates out of control as a pleasant side effect!!! Stopping drinking is not just about stopping drinking...good luck and keep posting!
Cathy31
x
Old 03-28-2005, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Chopped and welcome!
Glad you found your way here! Keep an open mind, find something that works for you if you open to it as most of us couldn't do it alone. There are many options for a means of support. If your determined to go it alone we'll still be here!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Chopped.You can meet plenty of other sober bikers also in AA http://www.alliancemc.com/
Old 03-28-2005, 08:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender
Hey Chopped.You can meet plenty of other sober bikers also in AA http://www.alliancemc.com/
Wow, thanks for all the replies, guys... todays my first night sober, I want to see if I have some will power to stop before trying AA. I am not 24 and Have been drinking since I was 16, but not heavily. It really became 3+ drinks every night about 2 years ago.

Time2Surrender - Wow.. your MC looks like a fun hangout... I bought my 04 XL last year and been riding since, thru snow/rain/hail, etc.. been riding about 3 years now.

I have always been a solo rider tho, the wife doesnt like bikes and I never had the oppertunity to go on a group run, or any of that... looks fun tho
Old 03-28-2005, 09:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 03-28-2005, 09:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dan

The trickiest part's going to be your own thoughts.
It's in that place, between your ears, that the decision to drink is made.
I used to blame any and everything for the fact that I ended up drinking after deciding not to. About a couple thousand times...

So quitting on your own is most certainly doable. I've seen it here, and in the live world, so to speak.
Just pay close attention to the signals your body is going to send you.
It will react to the absence of alcohol. And that's when our minds start the funny stuff.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Old 03-28-2005, 09:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dan

Nice ink man...
Old 03-28-2005, 09:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Nice ink man...
Thanks, that too was an old addiction
Old 03-28-2005, 09:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah,nice tats dude,I have a few of my own.Come over too the Mens Room here at SR and check out our "Dream Machines" thread.We post bikes in there all the time.Also come check at "Hot Rodders in Recovery" at the link below.We could use some bikers in there.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

First day down -

Wasnt too bad, considering my dog threw up in my bed, and when I went upstairs to go to the other bedroom he shat on the floor up there... My wife had a 104 degree fever and refuses to go to the doctor (I made her mother take her today)...

SHe said I was kind of easy to fly off the handle, but not as bad as i usually am. I took some vitamin C yesterday and this morning, and ate alot of fruit, and drank water, and that vitamin water stuff. I dont feel bad at all, or any withdrawrals so far.

I dont think it will stay like this, but I can hope.