Notices

To: bls

Old 05-16-2002, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

To: bls

Hi,

Me again! Maybe this will help. Of all places it is in The Big Book, page 43.

"Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power."

If we use another mind altering substance, coke, "Mary Wanna" whatever, don't you think it blocks our Higher Power. I know if the volume is too high I can't hear anything.

Love, Pickle
Old 05-16-2002, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Pickle-
God has provided a wonderful defense against drinking/using- the human brain! We can inhibit anything we want to, always! It is sometimes innate knowledge on how to do this, others need education to spot the "Beast" which inhabits us all. I do not know of any religion which teaches that God provides miracles on demand...I always read in scripture that God EXPECTS us to abstain from drunken states and other antisocial behaviour.
Food for thought,
Quitter
Old 05-17-2002, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow quitter, that's a cool statement:

"God has provided a wonderful defense against drinking/using- the human brain!"

I spent 8 years thinking I was my own worst enemy, and now the past 2 or 3 years using my own abilty for rational thinking. I used to think that I had no-self control and that my best thinking got me into trouble. I found out it was my worst thinking that got me into trouble. I found out that I had no practice at self-control. I was very used to giving into urges. God gave me the ability to think rationally. I learned the process to do just that from a variety of sources, mainly from SMART Recovery.

Loco
Old 05-18-2002, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for you eloquent statement Rick D. I've met many people like you over the years. Its so scary to think that I actually used to believe simple-minded people like you.

Thankfully, many of the people I met in AA were genuinely open-minded. I believe in people before programs. I think its much more important that individuals trying to quit an addiction find what works for them. I think its wrong to promote any method as being right for everyone. I might have died had I continued thinking AA was the only way to get sober. SMART isn't for everyone, neither is AA or RR.

Locoverde

[This message has been edited by Locoverde (edited May 18, 2002).]