Notices

Cunning and baffeling found me

Old 05-16-2002, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bls
Paused

Post Cunning and baffeling found me

I used to go to meetings everyday but now I am getting back into my old frame of mind thinking I can do it on my own.. . . .I am having a problem turning EVERYTHING over in exchange for sobriety. On the other hand I am tired of drinking and the all of the trouble it brings with it. In meetings they say to "keep coming back" even if you are still drinking. I have been the newcomer in their first 30 days for the last 3 months!
Old 05-16-2002, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

I have been around this thing called recovery for a few 24 hours.

I found when I don't invest myself in my program, negative things begin to happen. In those times, I have lost faith, hope, and even the capacity to love myself or anyone else for that matter. The gains I had made began to slip away.

I didn't attend to my readings, my prayers, my meditations, my fellowship with others. I bagan to slough off.

My attitude began to deteriorate, my recovery was threatened, and by continuing that pattern of noninvestiment I lost. I relapsed.

What I had gained was taken away. I alone was responsible for the relapse. I could not blame anyone else or the program.

I didn't slip from my recovery, I gave it away.

For me, its important to stick with the plan and the program. Whatever plan or program you're working

DenF

Old 05-16-2002, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
PappaB

Bls ..... Please, don't despair when both sides of sober don't cut it! For me the drunken side got worse but the sober times got better and longer.The choice became too simple for even me to ignore. Hang in there, there is really only one way to go!

------------------
easy to wound hard to kill

Old 05-16-2002, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi,

How can you drink in Las Vegas?I lived there seven years and drank it dry! What a hell hole to get sober in. (Just my opinion.)

Oh, my dear, I don't know what is going on in AA any more, but I was so involved I didn't have time to drink. If I wasn't out on an H & I panel, I was sharing at The Hut in Westminster. Most nights I didn't eat dinner until 10:00 P.M. and that was usually with a dozen recovering drunks. Get some sobriety and go and share your story with others. Even with just thirty days (JUST!!!!!)you can go out on a panel, but not share.

I didn't dare drink! Some of those old timers would rag on me until I got the message.

Do you have a sponser? If you do, get another one. This one isn't working. If I can get sober you can. One day I am going to open a window and yell...."GET INVOLVED!"

Love ya, Darlin'

Pickle
Old 05-16-2002, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pickle!
You're back! How is your husband? We missed you!

Love,
Smoke
Old 05-16-2002, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi,

My husband is doing great. Can't keep a good man down. Big, big gallstone...it should have been me, after all the beer I have drunk. Biopsy, no cancer. He amazes me. Surgery on May 8 and back to work tonight....he is 74 going on 16. God answers prayer and keeps us sober....if we let him.

Love, Pickle
Old 05-17-2002, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BLS, I think change takes time and work. For me, quitting drinking was a huge, life-changing endeavor. I think whenever people try to change there are usually lapses. I found that I learned from times when I wanted to give into urges. I looked at my ambivalence, or the fact that I wanted to drink while at the same time I wanted to quit drinking.

I looked what I thought were the benefits of drinking and what I thought were the costs of quitting. Its funny but now those reasons have turned around. A lot of what I thought I'd be missing if I quit drinking I now get sober. And a lot of what I thought I wouldn't like about sobriety, I now dislike about drinking.

If you don't like the idea of attending meetings every day, there are options like Rational Recovery and SMART Recovery. In the end though, I really think you get back whatever effort you make at changing yourself.

Loco