Notices

when does one get over the initial hump.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when does one get over the initial hump.

I whine on and on about why can't I string together more than 3-4 days... when does one start to feel the benefits of being sober? I'm not giving it enough time to feel better, right? I get all nuts about it not working for me.. therefore Im a loser.. blah blah blah.. and we know right where that sends me.

How much sober time before my head starts to clear and booze doesn't seem like the only solution to my life?

-darragh
Old 03-11-2005, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Are you working a recovery program?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been mainly using the tenets of WFS for about 2 years, some of AA. I've gone to a couple meetings of both where I live. I just don't seem to "get it".
Old 03-11-2005, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dar,

You sound a lot like I did, I'd get stuck at 3 days for a long time. And, it depends on you, how soon you start to feel the benefits. I think that after 3 days you'd probably begin to feel physically better, but it depends how much you've been drinking and for how long. One of the first things I noticed was how good food tasted. It was remarkable to me and brought me a bunch of joy! For the emotional part, that could take a lot longer, again depending on you. I had a few messes in my life to clean up before I could begin to feel better about myself emotionally.

Definitely hang in there and give it more time. It will pay off!!

Love, Anna
Old 03-11-2005, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darragh
I whine on and on about why can't I string together more than 3-4 days... when does one start to feel the benefits of being sober? I'm not giving it enough time to feel better, right? I get all nuts about it not working for me.. therefore Im a loser.. blah blah blah.. and we know right where that sends me.

How much sober time before my head starts to clear and booze doesn't seem like the only solution to my life?

-darragh
First is do you really want to stop drinking. Have you made that decision. Is 3 or 4 days all you really want?

You said you get all nuts about it not working for you...therefore your a loser. When you have negative thoughts like that you are going to feel terrible and sabotage yourself. The good news is that thinking problems can be overcome. I'd be tempted to take a look at www.smartrecovery.org. Their approach is related to how we think, which may address your self-sabotage.

Of course, you lead your own recovery.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Darragh, first off, you're not a loser, gosh darn it all what this drinking does to us, how it makes us feel. We're good people, with an illness, that doesn't make us losers, the truth be told I think we are strong people who have been given this to show us just how strong we are...now how's that for an analysis?...Also a warm welcome coming your way, so happy you've found SoberRecovery.

I wish I had answers for you on this...I've only been sober a few weeks, after 30plus years of drinking. Right now the emotional roller coaster is happening with me, but that's ok, I'm sober today. I was stuck in a pattern also, and hard to change, but it can be done, look at the gang here who have lots of precious sober time in....hey ONE day is precious. Do what you have to do to get on track before something bad happens...one day it could be to late, some of us seem to think nothing will happen...yeah right..then we have to face the consequences, which usually are a high price to pay.

Take care of yourself, you will get this you know, you're here reaching out for help, you need to change things is all, start small and keep changing.

Love and understanding......Denise
Old 03-11-2005, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

One starts feeling the benifit of getting sober by working the 12 steps.
It's the easiest, softer way

Getting sober or not using is the begining. It doesn't happen over night.
Graudually the fog will get lifted. Things become clearer, such as
alcohol is a depressent....mmm lets not put stuff into the body to
get depressed, for a change.

Surround yourself by recoverying alcoholics, that's been there,
walked the miles, been in the pit of dispear, but had found a
way out. You don't have to do this alone.
A recoverying alcoholic can help and understand you like no others.

Whine, cry, get mad, scream, go crazy..it's okay.
Just don't keep up no matter what.
Everyday that we don't pick up and drink, we are a success.
It is not the easiet thing in the world to do..otherwise everybody would be
doing it.
Further more we are miracles.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dar

I have been going to 1 or 2 meetings every week since I quit drinking (only 4 weeks), but they really help me. Someone last night received his 10 year medallion and he said he got some good advice early on - "fake it until you make it" and "keep coming back"

I would keep going to meetings. I think that you can usually pick up something helpful from someone in each meeting. Good luck Dar!!
Old 03-11-2005, 05:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

I didn't get it in the beginning either. Don't feel alone. AA seemed very "weird" to me at first. I stuck around long enough for it to start making sense and things got easier, much easier. You have to work at it though. If you want it bad enough it will take some work. To me it's worth it. Life is doable now. Before the slightest things would overwhelm me, sending my off into a tailspin, meaning an endless cycle of drinking. You can get off of the rollercoaster. You just need some guidance to point you into the right direction once you get off. We all do. If not, we just fall back into old habits and behaviors. We do what is familiar. Its hard to break old cycles. It can be done though. Give AA another chance and get a sponsor. If everything goes well, things will begin to make sense.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Darragh!
Gee, quitting, what to expect? Hey we have a thread titled that! Be patient, it takes time learning how to grow up again. You'll get to feeling better and more determined the longer you remain strong and courageous.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whelp the longer you dont drink..

-the smarter you get
-the better your memory gets
-your brain stops shrinking
-your nerves stop being attacked
-all the diseases caused by booze are halted
-testosterone begins returning ( if your a guy )
-bags under your eyes go away
-hair looks better
-you look more attractive
-sleep better

The list is endless, its all better with time.

A program and talking to people can help.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I don't think we ever reach the top of the hump.
I think it is more of learning to walk the side of the hill.
Daily we need to work on our recovery.
Just as when the sports season would start my muscles would hurt for the first few weeks. With practice things became easier. By seasons end if I was told to do a lap... the lap was so easy.
Know it does get easier. Work on things one day at a time.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The first 3 months was toughest, I really started seeing positive changes after that but the first 6 months was a bitch at times. then it just kept getting easier and easier to face my difficulties and become real comfortable with myself. So no matter what I just didn't pick up. I also did a lot of other stuff, to make a long story short I did a lot of stuff that helped me. AA, steps, sponsor, service, diner, hanging with others in recovery etc. Had to do it. So I just hung in and when I felt like I wanted to scream and bail I just hung in. I called my sponsor or went to meetings or stayed around people. Anyway it got so I don't have any desire to go back to drinking or using. I got sick of it. I was watching a show last night on HBO where the people were doing so much dope and crack. for most of my life seeing that would make me jones big time. I just felt sorry for the people in that show. Has no appeal to me at all.
So they say don't give up before the miracle happens and its true.