Notices

Real Alcoholic.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

SON,FATHER,BOYFRIEND,BROTHER,UNCLE,COUSIN,
IRONWORKER,CARPENTER,COOK,SAILOR,
OUTDOORSMAN,ATHELETE,FREIND,ALCOHOLIC,AND MEMBER OF A.A.
{I'M SURE THERE'S MORE,DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ASK!}
............ted
Old 02-09-2005, 01:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

great thread, dan!

Me - I'm a real alcoholic. I got tears in my eyes reading these posts, especially from jlo34 & 2dayzmuse - I could have written either one of their posts. I am a sister, daughter, wife, friend... academically and athletically accomplished... and an alcoholic.

Thanks for the post, Dan, and to everyone else, too.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Fear, booze, crank, ice, pot, acid, coke, mescaline, vicoden, percodan, demerol, codine, nicotine, caffine, nasal sprays, sugar, food, anger/rage, work, selfpity, gossip, drama, lying, martyrdom,...yeah, somehow I think I qualify too.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by 3legacy
Someone I am supposed to be seeking out?
Ahhhh.. for sure!
Old 02-12-2005, 03:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

A real alcoholic, that's me!! A woman with a kind heart and a trusting soul. Wife, mother of 2, Physical Therapist Assistant. A person, who when not drinking cared alot for others. I took care of my mother, who died in my home of brain cancer.
I can't believe how much I changed when I drank. I could never just have one. I mean, what's the point in that. Everyone was just being a party pooper!! I was the party girl until I had to many then I was hateful, picking fights with guys, taking off my clothes, falling down, etc. You all know how that goes. I however, very rarely had a hangover. I use to say that if I got hangovers, maybe I wouldn't drink so much. Maybe I would learn my lesson, but that never happened.
This real alcoholic had to almost die to see the light. Not just once. Even after I had my son, I got drunk and would lock myself in the basement and hook up a rope to hang myself. Now that is sick that I would want to leave my beautiful baby boy. I also drank throughout my pregnancey with my daughter. I didn't think 8 to 13 beers would hurt her. But honestly I didn't care at the time. How could I behave this way??

Well, I behaved that way because I have a disease called alcoholism. I could not stop drinking once I started. I hurt myself and everyone around me. I remember thinking I just wanted the pain to stop. I didn't realize the alcohol was causing alot of the pain. I thought it was the cure!!

Somedays I wish I wasn't an alcoholic. Most days, I'm grateful I am!!

Love to all,
Missy
Old 02-12-2005, 05:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Dan

Oh Missy...
Thanks for sharing that.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You can define the term all you want.

I am an alcoholic for one reason only. Alcohol made my life physically and emotionally "unmanagable"
Old 02-13-2005, 09:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Real Alcoholic?

I could not consistantly predict on any given occasion, with any certainty, what would happen to me once I picked up one drink of alcohol.

For me, thats a real alcoholic, and that made it abundantly clear, that I fit that description, and that I am a real alcoholic.

Its not how much we drink or how often, its what happens to us WHEN we drink.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

wife ,mum,grandma,sister niece ,grandaughter ,friend ,mangeress at work ........alcoholic ( thought id find peace of mind in the bottle turns out it just made me lose my mind!)
Old 02-13-2005, 11:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

((((((((Luluabel & all the other real alcoholics))))))))

What a gift the :tri

Got a bit of the flu :nose but still better than before I found a real sponsor, real Home Group and became a small part of the great whole instead of just the drunk or dry :*******: I used to be. Now a bit cynical at times but I'm trying not to use the -- "progress not perfection" diddy as a mask to avoid continued spirutual growth.

((((((((SR A-Z #'s included))))))))))
Kiss Heart of Spirit In Love & Service,
3 Legacy
Old 02-13-2005, 02:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patsyd1
Real Alcoholic?

I could not consistantly predict on any given occasion, with any certainty, what would happen to me once I picked up one drink of alcohol.

For me, thats a real alcoholic, and that made it abundantly clear, that I fit that description, and that I am a real alcoholic.

Its not how much we drink or how often, its what happens to us WHEN we drink.

Exaclty, we come in all different sizes and shapes, but we have one thing in common, we lose control after that first drink.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Dan

Jay!
Oh it's a great day.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

Hey Jay

WELCOME BACK......ted
Old 02-13-2005, 02:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
just j

How I love running across a thread that sparks my interest, grabs my mind and just touches my heart!!

Thanks Dan and all of you who shared such a wealth of feelings and knowledge. I saw myself in so many of you!!

I have been so many of the people you all described. The party girl cheerleader in high school, the party girl staight A student in college. The life of the party, the one who kept the party going, the mom who drank very expensive wine (a bottle a night for a while) the martini girl at the fancy clubs, the gin and tonic woman at the country club.......the wife who became very hard to live with, the depressed mom who barely could get out of bed some mornings, the impatient friend, the self absorbed perfectionist, the obsessive compulsive unhappy woman. That is the making of an alcoholic in my mind right there in black and white.

The image some hold of what or who an alcoholic is does not have to be true for any one of us. When I hear someone say that so and so is an alkie or "oh, they aren't an alchoholic, they just drink too much". I have to shut my mouth and walk away. I love that I have admitted to myself and God that I have no power over alcohol. Therefore, I choose not to drink. The minute that I question if I fall into the "definition" of what an alcoholic is, is when I begin to "think too much".

It works for me to keep on believing that I am one. It keeps me sober.

As for me.....wife, mother of four, educator, administrator, runner, lover of books, faithful, funny and severely Type A, healing from years of abusing, becoming who God intended me to be.

Thanks for such an awesome thread!

Hugs, J
Old 02-13-2005, 03:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Normal, non-alcoholic people don't plan their "next drunk". They don't justify their drinking. They don't drink excessively / repeatedly, expecting different results. They don't pray for death by "planning" a sure combo of booze and drugs to put them over-the-top.
I wish I could drink like "normal" people because then I could drink everyday.

For me, that kind of thinking makes me an alcoholic.

Mom, daughter, sister, friend, woman, child, college graduate, teacher, employee, alcoholic, ME.

I pray to God that I never forget that I am a REAL alcoholic.

Thanks for the thread, Dan.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm 62 years old. When I took my first drink at age 18, I drank a whole bunch, to fast, got drunk, went home and threw up all over the bed, embarrassed myself in front of my folks, was sick and hung over all the next day....blah, blah, blah. The next time I drank I drank a whole bunch, to fast,.....etc., etc., Like Patsy, I could never guarantee my actions after that first drink. I got sober at age 34. Since then, I haven't thrown up, and have never had another hangover. Plus, I've had no alcohol related incidents. Funny how that works..... :tongue3: I figure if I'm not an alcoholic, at the very least, I'm better off than I was. If I am an alcoholic, I'm in the right place. Furthermore, I don't give a damn who knows I'm an alcoholic as long as I don't forget it!
Old 02-16-2005, 02:47 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

What's in a "title" anyway??

Ya know, come to think of it, some things just can't be nailed down. I can look at a mountain and know it's a mountain because it fits that discriptioin. I can look at a cloud and know it's a could because I know what a cloud looks like. Hell, I don't know what an alcoholic looks like and I sure can't count on one discription to be the one that fits an alcoholic.

Really....who the hell cares what a "real alcoholic" is anyway?? It's just a title someone happend to come up with to replace the other title of "town drunk" or "gutter bum." Am I a "real alcoholic??" I DON'T CARE if I'm a real alcoholic or not!! Maybe I'm not! All I know is I have some of the many traits which are assigned to an "alcoholic" by someone who professes to know what an alcoholic really is.

Bottom line is, like Father Martin said once. If alcohol is a problem, then alcohol "is" the problem. If when I try to stop drinking I find that I can't, I need help. I'm an alcoholic because that's what I believe I am and I'm willing at least for today, to take the proper "steps" to arrest the condition.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:17 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Or the plant manager who's stress level compels him to have a bottle in his desk for emergencies?
One word in that line defines what a "real" alcoholic is...compels. If you drink (drank) not because you wanted to but because you are/were compelled to, you are one.

BubbaBob
Old 02-16-2005, 03:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
To Life!

WOW!!!
What a fantastic thread!!!
Thanks for sharing, everyone.
Shalom!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

The bottom line for me today is that I don't know if anyone else is a REAL ALCOHOLIC..... but I can tell you that without a doubt.... I am.