Notices

Day 2 - I can do this!!!!

Old 02-04-2005, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 - I can do this!!!!

Hi everyone -
Back to day 2 again. Don't think I want to go through Day 1 ever again - but I've said that before - only time will tell.
Just takin' it easy and one day at a time. When one day is too much - I'll make it 5 minutes - if that's too much a minute or even a nano-second if I have too.
Thanks everyone for being here - it's been such a tremendous help for me.
Hey, I'm gonna go work on that quilt now.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Hey, I had to go to a lot of pain. You might be stronger then me Hit a meeting if, you haven't already. Try and find a womens meeting or, at the very least a meeting with several women in it. I don't know if, you're familiar with that AA program but, it has painstakingly described an alcoholic to a T. There's a reading from the Big Book that goes into great detail of trying every way imaginable to drink like everyone else w/o having the ill effects.

Most everyone in here has tried to figure out a way to drink w/o having the fall out from drinking. There are as we say in our meetings the functioning alcoholic that, gets drunk every night w/o haveing any problems. The rest of us have hell to pay for our drinking.

Which 1 are you??

chris
Old 02-04-2005, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 2 - revisited

Hey Chris -
I am definitely the kind that has hell to pay for my drinking.
My problem is I live in the middle of nowhere and then you go about 20 miles beyond that. There is not much choice in AA meetings - I have been to 2 and going to the third tonight. (Having a friend take me so that little voice won't make me do anything stupid!)
I do like the group here - so I think that will help. And I start counselling next week - which I think I really need.
The time when I quit for 45 days - I did that all on my own - with no support system. And we know just how well that turned out. This time I am asking for help and for guidance - because I don't think anyone can do this alone - no matter how tough you think you are. If sheer force of will would have worked I never would have picked up a bottle on day 46.
But my thinking is changing this time too. This morning when I got up the thinking wasn't "I will not drink today" it has now become "I woke up sober and I intend to stay that way." I'm seeing that as looking at the same situation in a positive rather than a negative way.
Thanks for the support.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

You have to remember this, it's not the alcohol!!!! It's you, you're the one that will have to make a change. We are creatures of habit. I've heard of people placed in situations where they didn't have alcohol were dry drunks. The first chance they had after a long period of being dry was to drink. he big book tells a story of a man staying sober for over 30 years so he could run his business. After he retired, he took off where his drinking was when he stopped 30 years earlier. After a few years of this his body couldn't take the drinking and gave out on him.

We have to got to any lengths to stay sober. This sounds like a lot of BS now but, this is insurance for you. You build a foundation in AA Go to a lot of meetings when, you first get into the program. Make it a ay of life. Later on you go through the problems that baffle you now, the ones you drink over. You'll be amazed, you'll be able to handle these problems because you've worked this program.
We call it the 12 promises of AA. I like to call it the 12 guaranties of AA

Last edited by CAPTAINZING2000; 02-04-2005 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2005, 10:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you for being there, i woke up this morning hungover and decided to get off the merry-go-round and stop thinking about going to a meeting and to go to one, just my luck it was a men's only meeting so i logged on and read your messages and heard what i needed to hear; i know it will be tough as i have been in other 12 step programs, i also know that it will help to bring the joy and laughter back into my live that i want;
Patty
Old 02-05-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

NL-Yes you can do this ! Welcome Patty you have come to the right place.I am glad you both are here, Bless, Trish
Old 02-05-2005, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Way to go Lady! Your so right, for me the support was key to maintaining my sobriety!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i made it through 2 complete days, and will work on one day at a time; i know tonight will be tough as my partner will either come how under the influence and/or bring a bottle home, my resolve will be tested and i pray for my higher power to help me through; i will visit this sight through out the day to give me the courage and strength i need; thank you all for being there and sharing
Old 02-07-2005, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((((((((Northwoods Lady))))))))))
But my thinking is changing this time too.
I was shown how my drinking problem centered there in my mind. Once I saw it as a mental obsession and put the drink down, the physical allergy never has been able to kick back in. It took much more for me not to pick up the first one but what a glorious ride it has been.

(((((((Patty Paw))))))))))
Welcome to Sober Recovery!
Old 02-07-2005, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Northwoods Lady
There is not much choice in AA meetings - I have been to 2 and going to the third tonight. (Having a friend take me so that little voice won't make me do anything stupid!)
Hi Lady! I have one of those little voices too. My prayer/meditation on day 2 was simply, "Help me not to do anything really stupid today."

I do like the group here - so I think that will help. And I start counselling next week - which I think I really need.
Good! It helps to keep yourself immersed in what's good for you as best you can.

It helps me to do a lot of recovery reading too because my work schedule limits the number of meetings I can attend.

This time I am asking for help and for guidance - because I don't think anyone can do this alone - no matter how tough you think you are.
I don't know about anyone, but I sure could not. IMO, one of the worst aspects of alcoholism is the dense isolation it creates. A bleak prison with very thick walls. I could not break free of it. New friends in AA breezed through those walls like they weren't even there.

This morning when I got up the thinking wasn't "I will not drink today" it has now become "I woke up sober and I intend to stay that way." I'm seeing that as looking at the same situation in a positive rather than a negative way.
Kudos. It's a whole new day.

:hugehug

Tracy
Old 02-07-2005, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pattyspaw
i know tonight will be tough as my partner will either come how under the influence and/or bring a bottle home,
Would he not bring a bottle home if you asked him not to? He needs to respect your wishes in that respect. My husband likes his beer but he won't bring it home. If he wants to drink, he does so with his pool-playing, go-cart building, rock-crawlin' buddies. That's fine with me. I'd rather have him there doing what he wants to do than here pouting and messing with my serenity.

But if his beer was sitting in my fridge, that would be a problem.

Tracy