Notices

i'm really glad i found this place

Old 01-29-2005, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i'm really glad i found this place

hey everybody, i'm new and i have some questions and want advice etc. so here goes.

i'm only 21 but my drinking has been out of control for at least the past year and a half and i was a binge drinker from the time i was 16. i haven't been to a doctor but i know it's starting to affecting my health negatively, i won't get into specifics but anyway. i've been waking up feeling like hell everyday and my nerves are shot i'm tired of it frankly.

one question i hope someone will answer is if i quit on my own, is that really that dangerous? i can't go to a doctor and i've quit drinking before for short times (3 days or so) and haven't had anything bad happen besides mild withdrawals. so i kind of know what to expect and i think i'll be fine, it seems alot of people on here have done it alone. any vitamins or little things you guys know that help?

i don't want to drink anymore and i don't plan to. i want to stop it before i'm seriously messed up, health and life wise. i have a roommate who has been sober for 2 and a half years, so that should help.

does anyone here actually have health problems from drinking? it seems like alot of you guys drank much harder and for many years and i was just wondering. i worry about it all the time, which is one reason i've chosen to stop.

but yeah, i'm sure i'll be hanging around here more often. so, hi.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you made it here and want to quit drinking. Drinking excessive alcohol over an extended period of time, definitely can effect your health. Yes, it can be dangerous to stop drinking on your own. It's always best to seek medical advice. You mentioned that it already is taking it's toll on your health at the age of 21. Huge red flag. It's a good time to quit drinking and address your health issues. I don't know what your specific circumstances are and why you can't see a Dr., but I'd recommend you do your best to find one. Overtime, alcohol can cause extensive, irreversible damage. Not good.

For myself, alcohol caused elevated blood pressure and a vitamin B deficiency. It interferes with the absorbstion of vitamins and nutrients and in severe cases, can cause malnutrition. It also caused me severe anxiety. I take meds for the blood pressure and would get B12 shots to replenish my vitamins. The anxiety subsided after I quit drinking over a period of time. I was lucky enough to not have any liver damage. Liver damage is a serious problem. You don't want to mess around with that. Of course, there are many others side effects that can result from drinking. These are just a few that effected me.

Drink lots of water and try to take vitamins. Sometimes they can be hard on your stomach. Try to eat what you can. Get plenty of rest and try to stay occupied when awake. The next few days can get uncomfortable. Don't listen to the "voice" that may try to tell you that you need to drink. If you get a craving, call a friend or family member. I still recommend you see a doctor. Have you ever considered AA? Maybe it would be a good time to look into some meetings in your local area. It's tough to stop on your own. I know I couldn't do it alone.

You're stilll young and have plenty of time to regain control of your life. Don't make the same mistakes that I did. I wasted to many years drinking pointlessly. It really can make a mess of things. I'm more than twice your age and it's hard to gain control back after you lost it. Rebuilding shattered dreams and reputations is tough to due at my age, at any age really. Good luck, I'm glad you've made the first step in realizing you have a problem and want to stop. You have some work to do. I hope you follow through on it. It's won't be easy, but will be well worth it. With the strength of others, you can do it. Life doesn't have to be one hangover after another.

Stick around and more will share their personal experience with alcohol and health issues.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, emptyglasses!

2dayz has given you a great overview.

There's another thread here that you might want to read by jack called 'I'm too young to be an alcoholic'.

Regarding your concern about sudden detox. The risks are very small but can be serious, and have to do mostly with seizures, dt's, etc. They are usually associated with longterm heavy drinking. But it is a very serious risk nonetheless. Calling a health clinic (such as a free clinic) or doctor about symptoms to watch for would be a good precaution. At the very least, have a friend around or on call for the first couple of days. It doesn't hurt to have some moral support anyway, and people who announce their intent to quit tend to do better than people who try to keep it all to themselves.

Do you want more information on recovery programs? There are several available, and they all have web sites for more information. Let me know and I'll post them.

Don S
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just in case you want some facts and figures, here is something from the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence.

NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES

On Health:

* The regular consumption of large amounts of alcohol (defined as more than three drinks per day) is undesirable from the standpoint of health for almost all people and drinking low-to-moderate amounts can be desirable or undesirable, depending on individual characteristics (G Friedman & A Klatsky, "Editorial: Is Alcohol Good For Your Health?," New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 329, No. 25, 12/16/93, p. 1883).

* Although there are fewer deaths from alcohol-related causes than from cancer or heart disease, alcohol-related deaths tend to occur at much younger ages (NIAAA, Eighth Special Report, op. cit., p. 16).

* Studies of suicide victims in the general population show that about 20% of such suicide victims are alcoholic (NIAAA, AHRW, Vol. 17, No. 2, 1993, p. 133).

* Heavy and chronic drinking

--can harm virtually every organ and system in the body (Ibid., p. xxvii).

--is the single most important cause of illness and death from liver disease (alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis) (Ibid., p. 165).

--is associated with cardiovascular diseases such as cardiomyopathy, hypertension, arrhythmias, and stroke (Ibid., p. 172).

--contributes to approximately 65% of all cases of pancreatitis (Ibid., p. 171).

--depresses the immune system and results in a predisposition to infectious diseases, including respiratory infections, pneumonia, and tuberculosis (Ibid., p. 176).

--increases risk for cancer, with an estimated 2-4% of all cancer cases thought to be caused either directly or indirectly by alcohol. The strongest link between alcohol and cancer involves cancers of the upper digestive tract, including the esophagus, the mouth, the pharynx, and the larynx. Less consistent data link alcohol consumption and cancers of the liver, breast and colon (NIAAA, Alcohol Alert, No. 21, 7/93).

--can lead to inadequate functioning of the testes and ovaries, resulting in hormonal deficiencies, sexual dysfunction and infertility (NIAAA, Alcohol Alert, No. 26, 11/95).

--is related to a higher rate of early menopause and a higher frequency of menstrual irregularities (duration, flow, or both) in women (NIAAA, Eighth Special Report, op. cit., p. 179).

* Each year 4,000 to 12,000 babies are born with the physical signs and intellectual disabilities associated with FAS, and thousands more experience the somewhat lesser disabilities of fetal alcohol effects (SAMHSA, Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, Toward Preventing Perinatal Abuse of Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs, USDHHS, Technical Report, No. 9, 1993, p. 1).

* An association has been established in both homosexual and heterosexual populations between alcohol use, drug use and behavior that increases the risk for contracting HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, but underlying processes and mechanisms that explain this relationship have not been definitively identified (NIAAA, Eighth Special Report, op. cit., p. 245).

On the Family:

* Separated and divorced men and women were three times as likely as married men and women to say they had been married to an alcoholic or problem drinker (NCHS, Advance Data, op. cit., p. 6).

* An estimated 6.6 million children under the age of 18 years live in households with at least one alcoholic parent (NIAAA, Alcohol Alert, No. 9, 7/90, p. 1).

Unintentional Deaths and Injuries:

* 38% of all traffic fatalities (the leading cause of accidental death) are alcohol-related (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 5/27/99 press release); alcoholics are nearly five times more likely than others to die in motor vehicle crashes (NIAAA, Eighth Special Report, op. cit., p. 233).

* One study showed that half of all boating fatalities had a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .04; BAC's of .10 or more were found in 31% of the fatalities(US Department of Transportation, United States Coast Guard, Boating Statistics 1994, 9/95).

* Alcoholics are 16 times more likely than others to die in falls, and 10 times more likely to become fire or burn victims (Ibid.).

* Estimates suggest that alcohol is associated with between 47% and 65% of adult drownings (Ibid., p. 243).

* Up to 40% of industrial fatalities and 47% of industrial injuries can be linked to alcohol consumption and alcoholism (M Bernstein & JJ Mahoney, "Management Perspectives on Alcoholism: The Employer's Stake in Alcoholism Treatment," Occupational Medicine, Vol. 4, No. 2, 1989, pp. 223-232). [For more information, see NCADD's "Alcohol and Other Drugs in the Workplace" facts.]
Old 01-30-2005, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Glasses,
Give AA a call and tell them you want to stop drinking. They'll take it from there.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((((((((EmptyGlasses)))))))))
How you feeling this morning, afternoon, or evening? Never too young to make a decision to put down what can often be poison to many of us. I'm glad to hear you have a roomie with some sobriety. How did they quit? I tried controlling my drinking in younger years. It worked but only temporarily and not with much consistency. It was not until I surrendered to the idea that the FIRST DRINK is what always seemed to get me drunk, that I honestly sought help and wanted entire abstinence.

Good luck, many blessings, and I wish you perseverence and vigilance in your quest. Please keep us informed on how your doing. You might just be helping me or someone else in the process of sharing your own experience.

(((((((EmptyGlasses)))))))))
3 Legacy
Old 01-30-2005, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks 3legacy and everyone else. last night got a little crazy, didn't sleep much, and had a dream flavor flav was trying to kill me. other than that just some sweats, but i'm gonna go grab some lunch and keep on with it.

oh and to answer your question my roommate got sober at a treatment facility when she was 18.

thanks again i'll keep you updated.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have not drink in a week, little slip up last weekend. I have been so much happier and health is so improved. Even treated myself to a short nap this afternoon when the girls were out.

MELATONIN. You may have difficulty nodding off, this works, more is not better though as it will cause you to wake up later. Usually just one is the right amount to help you nod off into dreamland.

Funny how you dont dream when you got to bed drunk.

I missed it.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Just popping by to say a belated WELCOME! This is a great bunch and you've already been welcomed with over a quarter century of sobriety! Stick around.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Your roomie going to any meetings? Would your roomie take you to a meeting. I've kept it simple as can be. I keep the plug in the jug, go to meetings trust God, clean house and help others!!!!