Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How much money did you spend on average at your heaviest drinking stage?

Notices

How much money did you spend on average at your heaviest drinking stage?

Old 01-19-2005, 12:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You think that being a CPA for over 30 years, I would have that answer on the tip of my tongue, but I don't. (Never really wanted to know!). But my guess is that my drinking cost around $2,200 a year. That is based upon my consumption rate of 1.75 liters of Smuggler's Scotch every 3 days. Well, then you got to add the drinks at dinner when I went out with the wife and family, at least once a week, and that should add another $500 bucks a year.

One side comment is that went I entered recovery, my wife also stopped drinking. We now call ourselves a couple of "Cheap Dates" as the cost of our dinners out have really gone down. We now go out at least twice a week and seldom is the tab, including tip, over $50.

Another interesting factor is that the profit for alcohol and wine for a restaurant client of mine makes up about 80% of the overall net profit. Actual food profit is nominal, with room rentals and other special affairs making up the balance.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was 23yrs old at my last drink and didn't earn a great deal. I spent every possible penny on alcohol and if I had to buy something like an item of clothing I asked myself 'how much beer does this cost ?'

One of the contributing factors that brought me to stopping drinking was the torture of not having enough money to drink as often as I wanted.

Plenty of people spent more than me on alcohol, but I was hooked, dependant.

regards
Old 01-19-2005, 07:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

First, you all make me feel like a real skinflint.

The local wineries over the state line sell some pretty good wine with damaged corks, crooked labels, or other minor defects for about $2 - $4 a bottle.

The local distillery sells its legal vodka and gin for 5.65/liter, and its grain whiskey for 6.59/liter.

The local gas station had 24-packs of light beer for $8.88 last Sunday when I stopped for a Coke and some jerky.

It is still cheap to get drunk around here!

Toivo

Last edited by Suomi Poika; 01-20-2005 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I can buy one of these for around $9.75
Old 01-19-2005, 09:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Mike, We Give Them Away Here It's Free To Those That Can't Afford It How Much Better Can It Get Then That?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cant beat that Chris.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

I spent maybe $100. on my drinking career, my soul was priceless though - and I sold that over and over and over again.

I too, was a resourceful drunk; there are much cheaper ways to getting drunk. First, I was never "legally" able to drink so the bar thing was never really an issue. Second, I went to ANY lengths to get drunk (so I go to any lengths to remain sober today). I was never too proud to drink ANYTHING with alcohol in it; rubbing alcohol, food flavor, mouthwash, you name it, I probably drank it. Did a lot of stealing too. Stole quite a bit of booze from a place I use to work at...Then there was that convenience store that never ID'd anyone...then there were the trips to the big city and talking the college kids into getting the booze...then...

Just keeps going on. Thank God my life is no longer like that. Absolute insanity.