Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I'm scared that I will never be able to stop drinking.

Notices

Old 01-20-2005, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know if I can get through today without drinking. There is no alcohol in the house but there will be at 5pm and I associate drinking with everything I do and I think about it all day. And it's starting to ruin my relationships with people and my life. I've gained weight because of it. I'm freaked out about a whole bunch of things and I don't even have something positive to motivate me to get through the day. This is my first day.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm also 25 years old and have been dinking pretty much every single day since I was 20. Everyone in my family drinks, all of my friends drink. I don't know one single person who doesn't that I can talk to. I need someone to talk to about it.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Call AA. There are people there who you can talk to and will possibly come and sit with you while you go through this first day. Give it a shot. What have you got to lose?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Lil Mama--Welcome! Don't come to me for answers right now, because I am struggling too. But I think it's great that you are recognizing the problem. I agree with Music that calling AA certainly won't hurt. All my best to you.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I do hope you can find an AA meeting as well. There are a lot of nice people on board from Canada. Try and ask for a meeting near you from someone in Canada. This only works with support. by ourselves we can't stand up but, with everyone's help we stand tall together.

You made the first step. You aren't alone, there are millions of people in AA from every corner of the world. I do hope and pray, you're able to find an AA meeting. it's the wisest choice I've ever made for my self

keep us posted

Chris
Old 01-20-2005, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lil Mama and Wild1forever - have you tried to read, or even know about books on this subject? Once you have read "Rational Recovery" or "Sober for Life", you just may see a way out of the madness as I have. After attending one AA meeting, I decided that it wasn't for me, but I do know that it has worked for others.

"Sober for Life" talks about options such as AA, Rational Recovery, etc., and even quitting on your own. You can't go wrong with this book, just as long as you are really willing to give up the alcohol.

Bookie12
Old 01-20-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry - the book is called "Sober for Good".

Bookie12
Old 01-20-2005, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bookie, I have never heard of "Sober for Good." Thanks very much for the recommendation!

Even though I am not sure about returning to AA at this point, I definitely need to do something. Even though I have some quarrels with the program, I have to acknowledge that I was able to remain sober for over six years while going to meetings.

I made a couple of phone calls this morning, and there are some nearby meetings at ungodly hours (i.e., 6:00 AM). I guess I am blessed to be a morning person, cause I may well head over tomorrow morning before sunrise!

I truly am sick and tired of being sick and tired, and I am just perplexed as to why I keep destroying myself in this way.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I'll go along with AA isn't everyone's cup of tea. i needed to be around a support group to help me stay sober. Not drinking is the easy part putting up with all the $hit from people places and things is the hard part
Old 01-20-2005, 01:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome to SR!
You've found a whole bunch of people here who understand, can relate to what your going through, and most of us here have a problem with alcoholism. Feel free to post and share with us, we can help you see your not alone. If you can find a means of support in your area, be it AA, counseling, spirtual advisor, please seek them out as well, I couldn't and can't do it alone.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lil Mama and Wild1, welcome to SoberRecovery.This is a great place to start.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LilMama,

I want to welcome you too! SR is a great place to visit for encouragement and support and I know you can do this.

Love, Anna