Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Rediscovering a past version of oneself in sobriety

Notices

Old 02-04-2024, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Since I quit drinking, I've noticed a striking change in my personality that harks back to my high school days. Unlike my alcohol-soaked college years and 20s/early 30s, I now find myself deeply immersed in hobbies and interests that reflect my introverted side… maybe I was never an extrovert? It’s said whether you are introverted or extroverted depends on whether social activity is exhausting or difficult; it’s exhausting. Moreover, my evenings now involves things like programming, reading, 3D design, writing, freelance work etc, occupying my mind until bedtime. This is a stark contrast to my 20s and early 30s when my strategic mind would literally switch off post-work and switch to an alcohol mode. I may’ve found ways to be productive, but higher reasoning was gone (and would continue to be so through long binges or hangovers).

Anyone else rekindled old experiences or found themselves rediscovering an earlier version of themselves in sobriety? Sometimes I miss it… but mostly I do not. It’s starting to feel like I was a different person entirely… you know? Curioue, just a thought I wanted to share this evening.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've sad a few times that I rediscovered a me I'd completely forgotten existed.
I like the way that fits me now

D
Old 02-05-2024, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well...No. I can't go back to being 14. When I sober up, I find a stranger staring back at me in the mirror.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
my evenings now involves things like programming, reading, 3D design, writing, freelance work etc, occupying my mind until bedtime.
Absolutely! This is me now. Hobbies have been put to a halt for years, since they required a sharp mind that I lost to alcohol. Now I'm enjoying the re-discovery of those little things.

We were just sleeping for years. Now we woke up.
Old 02-12-2024, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In early sobriety it was like I was a 14 year old boy with a middle class adult's income, my own place, a middle aged girlfriend, and a car.

A pink cloud, it was quite a trip and a nice alternative to wanting a drink.

Deep down I still have a boy's love of life. It can be difficult to find some days and I hope I never completely lose it.