Notices

New normal

Old 11-17-2023, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

New normal

Well, this will be my first Thanksgiving without my Mom. She was the last one, no Parents or Grandparents left now. My Mom passed just before Christmas last year and things are starting to settle down with her affairs. Now that it is getting quiet, the realization is hitting hard. I have one brother left and for the first time in 58 years, we have nowhere to go for Thanksgiving. I have my Son, but he is in Law Enforcement and will be working. I will be home, and that is ok, I am good by myself, but we will have to adjust to the new normal. Thanksgiving will be celebrated when he is not working with my Brother and Niece, and it will be good, we get along great. It is so surreal. Most important, I am sober. It took some years for my family to trust me in the beginning, but my Mom told me she was proud of me. I am so glad that I was able to help her in her when she needed me. Heavy Sigh.....
Old 11-17-2023, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Surly.
I know how you are feeling, & admire you for deciding to talk about it rather than shoving it down.
My parents are both gone now, too. My one sister is far away. It's hard not to reflect on past holidays without feeling nostalgic & sad. Sharing our thoughts takes the sting out of it - at least a little.
Thankfully, we have each other here - and we are not going to fall back on our old friend alcohol to mask our emotions. We will get through it, & I'm sure we'll have some enjoyable moments - in spite of the changes in our lives.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry for your loss, SurlyRedhead.
I am sure you and your brother and family will forge new Thanksgiving traditions

D
Old 11-17-2023, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SRH - I can relate. I'm 63 and we have lost a lot of family members over the last 5 years. Two were older (my mother and MIL) but the rest were younger. Some a lot younger. My family is riddled with cancer. We have added some AA friends to our Thanksgiving invite list for the first time this year. Trying to stay in the moment. Wish you a great holiday season despite your losses.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for your loss too Hev and AAPJ

D
Old 11-18-2023, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Surly, I'm in a similar situation this year.

My mother passed away last February and she was the last one from her generation to die. My wife and I are keenly aware of the fact, that statistically, we and our surviving siblings are "next in line." For the first time ever, we are not hosting Thanksgiving at our house this year. Instead we are traveling to my younger daughter's house. I like that change, but it will different for us. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-18-2023, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Surely,

Thanks for posting!

I remember last year when you posted about the loss of your mom.

I lost mine when I was 35, and my dad when I was 29.

I can’t imagine the feelings of loss if you had your mom most of your life.

it’s been 30 years in the orphan club for me, and I STILL miss them.

Big hugs as you make adjustments🥰