Notices

How to stop

Old 05-11-2023, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to stop

Hi
I need to stop drinking, I am drinking heavy the last few years and I drank because of grief, now I just drink, I also think its because I am lonely and it feels like company, a glass of wine or a spirit and mixer. Feels like company when you are alone. I am on meds for depression a long time and these are increased. I did tell my doctor I was drinking (not honest about extent of it) and I would stop. I drink most days.
I am looking at local AA meetings here now, im really scared. I think my drinking has got out of hand. Any advice please.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ANYTHING but drink. Simple but hard. You can do it
Old 05-11-2023, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awww I'm so sorry that youve traveled this road, for good or for bad you are in good company here! I can relate to your story so much. I feel like i had all these reasons/excuses to drink but when they dried up I didnt! It became my biggest routine, id default to the liquor store after work without rven realizing it.

its good you are posting! Keep at it! If youre a reader check out Naked Mind and Rational Recovery. And like they said above, Any Other Thing! Eat a chocolate cake, take up underwater basket weaving, binge watch Naruto, even if it isnt life shattering, every day of sobriety under your belt makes it easier. The sleep gets easier and your energy goes up and those happy juices from your brain come about all on their own!!

You got this friend! Youve done literally the hardest step which is starting. Ever step after is Anything Except Drink.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As Free2BMe and SproutLife said, anything but drink. Select enjoyable alternative beverages--flavored coffees, flavored sparking water, and so on. Probably not alcohol-free beer or wine, as they are too close to alcohol. Go for a walk, browse a bookstore, garden if you have space for it, play Rummikub or Quiddler with friends without alcohol.

No medical advice, but it's probably a good idea to talk with your doctor about the impact of mixing alcohol and antidepressants in terms of interactions and reducing the effect of the medication.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA is a really good starting point. You will find a ready network of fellow travellers. Some in the same boat as you, others with more sobriety - but you will be welcomed with open arms and they will help you formulate a plan of attack. No need to be scared. They are there to help and especially eager to look after newcomers. Don't worry about anonymity. If you bump into someone you know then you will know they are an alcoholic also - so definitely won't judge!
Old 05-11-2023, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. So I went to my first AA meeting today. Day one, so nervous and anxious but I cannot keep going on as I am. 😔
Old 05-11-2023, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Bookbuff. Come join the monthly thread on the newcomers board. Great support there.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good work going to an AA meeting.

Day one can be scary and intimidating- try not to focus on "forever" or "tomorrow." Take it one day at a time- keep busy and accept that you don't drink no matter what- it will get easier and you will slowly start to feel more steady.

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-11-2023, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome bookbuff and congrats on day 1
D
Old 05-11-2023, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I got the courage to go the AA meeting from all your stories here on the forum and from reaching out to you. I have joined the newcomers board. Thanks for the invite
Old 05-11-2023, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome BB

D