Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 5

Notices

For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 5

Old 05-23-2024, 07:25 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Asix9 View Post
2 years and almost 5 months.
From the beginning of the 2 years sober the Paws came back😪😪 maybe due to my new job in Another country.
Again Anxiety, Depression ,Headaches etc.... and again on Waves. Of course its not like the 1 year, but the feeling of hopelessnes came again. I think that its related with my AD, but this is another topic.

Soo .... trust the process and stick to the plan. 💞🥇🏆.
Have you changed your dosage of ADs at all? They are known to have horrible withdrawal effects, very similar to PAWS (for some people, worse).

Despite what some doctors (thankfully far fewer) still say, they can cause severe, long-lasting withdrawal symptoms, even when just reducing the dose by a small amount.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:21 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adam10 View Post
Have you changed your dosage of ADs at all? They are known to have horrible withdrawal effects, very similar to PAWS (for some people, worse).

Despite what some doctors (thankfully far fewer) still say, they can cause severe, long-lasting withdrawal symptoms, even when just reducing the dose by a small amount.

No Changing of the dose. I am from 6 months under the terapeutic dose. Day before my flight to my new job and ..... Bam... again miserable. I have 5 weeks more here at my job and then i am going home. I have to speak with my Doc, because its not normal that.💞💞
Old 05-24-2024, 07:54 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Asix9 View Post
No Changing of the dose. I am from 6 months under the terapeutic dose. Day before my flight to my new job and ..... Bam... again miserable. I have 5 weeks more here at my job and then i am going home. I have to speak with my Doc, because its not normal that.💞💞
It's worth noting that the first few mg of antidepressants have the most impact, their effect isn't linear.

For example, Lexapro's (escitalopram) recommended dose is between 10 and 20mg, but the drug's strongest effect is in the first 5mg. The effectiveness of each extra mg reduces after that. It's the same with all other SSRIs.

It's why a lot of people have no problems cutting their SSRI dose initially, then start to get side effects when reducing to lower doses.

I'm not saying that's why you're feeling bad, but it's very common to get withdrawal effects from lowering the dose of an AD for several months afterwards. Especially if you're already in the low-dose zone.

Unfortunately, it's why a lot of people stay on ADs for too long; they think their old issues are returning and increase their dose again, but they're actually suffering from withdrawal.