Notices

Alcoholism, Insurance, New employment

Old 03-05-2023, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism, Insurance, New employment

I am 52 years old and a year into recovery after an 8 year struggle. I took a position with a new company in management. I was filling out the forms for companyhealth and life insurance. In filling out forms, checking boxes it was asking about alcohol issues. I have been hospitalized. I have been in rehab. What ramifications am I facing with this? Once I checked "yes" on the alcohol issues a plethora of boxes arose asking more detailed questions. I closed the form and didn't submit yet.

Questions-
1. How honest should I be,
2. Should I approach my dr about getting an "in recovery" type statement put on my records or what steps can I take to minimize this situation and do damage control.

This is so frustrating and another hurdle of alcoholism I guess.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If I had a sober year under my belt, I would probably check no.

Talking with your Dr. about it might be good. I would also consider getting a legal opinion from an attorney.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess my question is if I check no due to this will they see my actual medical report? i have a friend whom is a nurse I will ask as well. Didn't know if anyone here had any experience with this.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

FYI - This IS on your medical report forever. I guess the only way to "remove" it is if there weren't alot tied to it - hospital stays, rehabs, multiple medications. If it's just a few lines - a doctor can remove it. If it is more of a "life event" spanning some time you can't. The only thing a doctor can put is some type of "in remission/recovery" statement.