Notices

Finally have to admit I'm an alcoholic.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally have to admit I'm an alcoholic.

After telling my doctor how much I drink and how frequently he advised me that he thinks I'm an alcoholic. I drink a bottle of white wine each night and have done for years.

I had a call from my doctor today after blood test results came back and he said that I have an inflamed liver and need to cut down by half slowly and also have to go for an ultrasound scan on my liver.

I've never thought I was an alcoholic but now admit that I am and the news from my doctor today has certainly been a wake up call and pretty scared by it all to be honest.

This is my first post and I look forward to getting involved in the forum.

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to read this.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, Fascinationst. This is a great place for support. It's good that you have seen your doctor and know how alcohol is affecting your body. The liver is a remarkable organ and can repair itself so long as it isn't cirrhotic. Sounds like you have caught this early enough to keep that from happening, provided you don't drink. Hope you will stick around and read the forums. There is a lot of good information here.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Welcome to SR, Fascinationst. This is a great place for support. It's good that you have seen your doctor and know how alcohol is affecting your body. The liver is a remarkable organ and can repair itself so long as it isn't cirrhotic. Sounds like you have caught this early enough to keep that from happening, provided you don't drink. Hope you will stick around and read the forums. There is a lot of good information here.
Thanks so much and I plan to stick around here for sure. 👍
Old 02-27-2023, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome fascinationst
I agree with Suki it’s good you caught this now.

You’ll find a lot of support here 🙂

D
Old 02-27-2023, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Fascinationist - it's so good to meet you. I'm very glad you've made this big decision.

I drank 30 yrs. & when I came to SR I no longer felt alone. I never thought I could get free of my dependency, but here I am - sober for many years.
In the early days it was very comforting & reassuring to post & read here. Knowing others had the same thoughts & feelings relieved my anxiety.
Glad you are here. You can do it!
Old 02-27-2023, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great you went to the doctor and that you have faced up to having a problem. Stopping drinking will be one of the wisest things you will ever do.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome…. you’ve come to the right place!
Old 02-27-2023, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Fascinationist.

The benefits of sobriety go beyond good physical shape.
Old 02-28-2023, 06:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Fascinationst. I'm glad you found us. This is a great place to come for support and to learn how much you have in common with others who've struggled with the same problems.

The liver is an amazing organ, often fully regenerating itself even after years of abuse. It's so good that you were honest with your doctor and you're going to do the ultrasound! The anticipation and waiting is the absolute worst, though - isn't it?

Please stick with us and tell us how your taper goes. I'm hoping that you are going for zero consumption - that's really the best way to ensure that you and your liver are in the best health.

O
Old 02-28-2023, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I don't think anyone joined this forum because they were on a winning streak.

Myself, I was pretty damn desperate and I was getting close to losing things that were important to me, like my marriage, my family, my job, my health and the list goes on. With the help of this website, and AA in the first few years, my life has turned around and I will have 13 years of sobriety next month. You can get sober too, but remember a long sobriety streak is built "one day at a time."
Old 02-28-2023, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome friend, you are in good company here! Congrats on taking your first step, a hard one but so meaningful. And thank you for posting, honestly it helps people like me too as we all share. Keep it coming!
Old 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You'll be amazed how fast your body will heal itself once you stop drowning it in poison. I avoided the doctor for a few years because I was afraid to hear the truth. In about 10 months worth of sobriety, all my blood work came back perfect!
Old 03-01-2023, 07:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-01-2023, 09:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Facinationst?

D
Old 03-02-2023, 07:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'm wondering, too.
Hope to see you back soon.

O
Old 03-06-2023, 01:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fascinationst View Post
After telling my doctor how much I drink and how frequently he advised me that he thinks I'm an alcoholic. I drink a bottle of white wine each night and have done for years.

I had a call from my doctor today after blood test results came back and he said that I have an inflamed liver and need to cut down by half slowly and also have to go for an ultrasound scan on my liver.

I've never thought I was an alcoholic but now admit that I am and the news from my doctor today has certainly been a wake up call and pretty scared by it all to be honest.

This is my first post and I look forward to getting involved in the forum.

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to read this.
Yeah, knowing that you absolutely need to get sober is scary. But at the same time it's really liberating. Emotionally and as a practical matter. Emotionally because it's liberating to finally coming clean with oneself about your drinking - and as a practical matter in that you don't need to organize your life around booze anymore.

I have lots of challenges in my day to day life, but I'm 1,000% happier and healthier since I quit.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! . You'll find lots of support and useful info here.