Notices

Pregnant alcoholic. Have relapsed.

Old 02-20-2023, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pregnant alcoholic. Have relapsed.

I am an alcoholic and I relapsed. Looking for similar situations and how did your baby turn out?

I drank nothing from week 4 of pregnancy recognition, then relapsed 10 times from week 11 - week 27. 😭

I binge drank once a week from week 11-15, twice at 22 weeks, twice at 24 weeks, and once last week. im now 28 weeks the guilt i feel is unbearable.

I wrote a similar post on reddit and got nothing but judgement and criticism from those who don't understand the beast of addiction and I am hoping I find more compassion in this forum.
Thanks
Old 02-20-2023, 03:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome on SR Tilz37
You knocked on the right door to share your situation.
I can't say what the effects of alcohol will be on your pregnancy but you seem to already be on the right track by being aware of the possible harm that alcohol could cause on the child to come. You're doing what is the first of the 12 steps of AA "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol"
Speaking of AA, is it possible for you to attend a meeting in your area?
It might help to be around other humans who are working on their recovery and you might find answers on alcoholism effects on pregnancy with other mothers in the group.
Come back to see us, we're in this with you
Old 02-20-2023, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh my friend you gotta stop. From my not medical simple understanding, every week the baby is growing something different, from eyes to spine to bladder, so when you drink during those development weeks it stunts those development. I believe that translates to bad eyesight, misaligned spine, undeveloped bladder, etc etc etc.

You are in good company because we all know what a hard job this is! As a mom I know parenthood added to the stress that added to my reach for the bottle. You are not alone! See if you can find support local! There might even be some awesome homes nearby that can help you out.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

tilz- Do not let your guilt of drinking while pregnant be the cause for continuing to drink, it’s best you stop. I know that’s so obvious but I also know how our minds work when we are so consumed with fear and negative thoughts. You can’t take back the past, but you can help your baby by stopping now, and then dealing with anything that happens with a clear head and some sober time at their birth. Get help in the community, come here, do whatever you need to in order to stop drinking. You can do it.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

tilz37,
welcome.
this may sound like judgment, but is only intended to give your baby the best shot for going forward: best would be to go to a health care professional and get your baby and yourself checked out and any help they can give. and then get all the help you can in not drinking again.
i realize that can be tough to do, but it needs doing. tons of support out there!