Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Seeking suggestions for boredom and loneliness...

Notices

Old 02-06-2023, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NAP

Hi y'all! I'm moving soon to a place where I won't know many people. What would you suggest I do to combat possible boredom and loneliness?

I'm saying this b/c I live in a city where I know tonnes of people, and I'm still a bit bored and lonely. Also a bit of a homebody. I'll start:

- I'd like to check out some AA meetings
- walking new neighbourhoods, exploring
- biking new areas, exploring

.................................................. .?
Old 02-06-2023, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There might be some suggestions in this list
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi NAP - I go on long walks - up to 20K, sometimes even more - to burn calories, stay fit, kill time and feel good about myself. If I am really doing it right I will not be wearing earphones but with my head up and taking in my surroundings - those walks can be so nice. I go on Alltrails and I go on a lot of their recommended walks, just pick a length and drive to the starting point and do that. I also like walking to different neighbourhoods and doing a full scour of the area near where I live. I have a dozen or so podcasts I listen to when I am on my more regular loops. But I try to not listen to anything on new walks in nice nature. I do these as I can do them on my own and I don't need to arrange with others and inevitably have to compromise.

If all else fails me in life, I think I will be able to live a contented life going to meetings, going on walks, listening to podcasts and finding shows and sports on TV that I like. I also play golf which takes up a lot of time including food in the clubhouse after.

I have gotten into bird watching recently. I have a bird table, bath, water feature and several feeders on my balcony now and am seeing more and more different species as time goes by, It is nice to have when I look out the window as I work. Just feeling a connection with my surroundings. It is really nice.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NAP View Post
Hi y'all! I'm moving soon to a place where I won't know many people. What would you suggest I do to combat possible boredom and loneliness?

I'm saying this b/c I live in a city where I know tonnes of people, and I'm still a bit bored and lonely. Also a bit of a homebody. I'll start:

- I'd like to check out some AA meetings
- walking new neighbourhoods, exploring
- biking new areas, exploring

.................................................. .?
I commute long hours for work; podcasts, music and books are sanity savers. How do you feel about cooking? Nutrition? What are you passionate about?