Notices

Traveling Abroad with DUI

Old 04-07-2022, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Traveling Abroad with DUI

Not sure where exactly to post this, but anecdotal advice requested. I am going to Mexico this September on an all expenses trip paid by my company. My DUI was in November 2012. I haven’t drank since, it was a stupid mistake; anyone have any travel experience who would like to weigh in?
Old 04-07-2022, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

Originally Posted by CRpuravida View Post
Not sure where exactly to post this, but anecdotal advice requested. I am going to Mexico this September on an all expenses trip paid by my company. My DUI was in November 2012. I haven’t drank since, it was a stupid mistake; anyone have any travel experience who would like to weigh in?
As I had my drivers licence back from suspension and took it with me there was no trouble hiring a car elsewhere in the world.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

CR, huge congrats on your 9+ years of sobriety…..and congrats on company trip.

Stay safe ❤️
Old 04-08-2022, 03:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

If it was that long ago, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not sure what you are asking. Are you just traveling without intending to drive? Do you hold a passport from another country? You might need an approved ID if no passport. If you are hoping to drive when you get there, then you might want to secure a driver's license in your state (assuming you are a citizen of US) before you travel regardless of owning a car. Most of my travels in Mexico were with shuttles and taxis, and I never needed to provide an ID but I've rented cars there too and I always had to provide my DL in order to rent a car. Good luck to you and enjoy. Mexico is one of my favorite places to be.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you are talking about a car rental, if you have a valid license now, you should be okay. I had a DUI in November of 2012 too, and once I had my license back, renting a car was never an issue and I have rented a lot of cars since then. Not sure what other things about having a previous DUI would impact on a business trip. I never encountered any.