Notices

realized today I don't find anything humorous

Old 03-01-2022, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

realized today I don't find anything humorous

let's make clear I don't want to drink. At yhe same time nothing seems funny anymore. I went to a movie with some aa friends and they were all laughing me all I could think is this movie is incredibly stupid. then I think what's wrong with me. That's when I realized I don't find anything funny. especially slapstick Clichéd humor. I had good time and I'm thier for socialization and I'm glad my friends had a good time. literally though I can't find things funny. it really bothers me if people laugh at me. I'm so up tight and I didn't realize it. I still don't feel comfortable in my own skin.
David
Old 03-01-2022, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It takes a long time for some of us to get firing on all 6 cylinders again. I remember at 6-7 months, I was still spending about 2 hours a day in a completely dark room void of any stimulation. If I didn't get that everyday, I'd feel like I was in a 24 hour a day 7 day a week death metal concert in the front row on zero sleep for 3 weeks. Everything was just too much for me for awhile.

You'll get that part of you back again. It take a long time to heal. Just keep doing the work.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

also I forgot to speak because I was waiting for someone to pass the basket and everybody laughed at my mistake. I fail to see what's so funny about it.
Part of it i was in a fog and funk all day long.In addition I'm still ever so worried about being liked. I still can't laugh at my self. I view every laugh as direct slight against myself. I know a lot people like me and care about what happens but still its hard to take. I know most probably didnt mean anything by it, still in the end I don't see laughing at others mistakes humorous in the least.
David
Old 03-01-2022, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

lack of self esteem afflicts a lot of us I think David.
I used to gauge my worth by how others treated me.

Staying in recovery helped me realise that worth is an internal thing and I don't need everyone to like me.
If there's things about yourself that you don't like you can probably change them.

As far as finding things funny - a lot pf things other people find hilarious I don't - and vice versa.

It would be very boring if we were all the same, man

D
Old 03-01-2022, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

I wasn't at the meeting so I can't say for sure, but usually laughter that I encounter at meetings is more in a "laughing with" rather than in a 'laughing at" manner and there is a huge difference. Laughing with is due to a shared commonality like in "yeah, been there, done that". It is relating to the person's experience.

Becoming comfortable in my own skin, not taking myself too seriously, and the ability to laugh at myself took a bit of time to occur for me. Basically it took working all twelve steps before those did occur for me. But they did happen and the weight of the world lessened on my shoulders when they did come true.

It has been worth the wait and the effort. I am much younger today than I was when I first came into the rooms years ago.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 100 View Post
let's make clear I don't want to drink. At yhe same time nothing seems funny anymore. I went to a movie with some aa friends and they were all laughing me all I could think is this movie is incredibly stupid. then I think what's wrong with me. That's when I realized I don't find anything funny. especially slapstick Clichéd humor. I had good time and I'm thier for socialization and I'm glad my friends had a good time. literally though I can't find things funny. it really bothers me if people laugh at me. I'm so up tight and I didn't realize it. I still don't feel comfortable in my own skin.
David
What a coincidence David! I’ve been off work this week and to pass time have been on a movie binge! Went out to see “death on the Nile”, “unchartered”, and “Spider-Man”! Going to see “Batman” Thursday or Friday!

Not sure why everyone was laughing at movie and you weren’t able to laugh! Could be it takes time to get all your emotions back and to not take yourself so seriously! You’ve been through a lot! Could be maybe you just don’t find things as funny when other people do! You may need to accept that’s just the way you are! And that’s ok! As long as you’re not hurting others or yourself! But you did have a good time and it was good socialization and you’re sober!
Old 03-02-2022, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the only thing I find funny is my own jokes. it's ironic some who is constantly joking around, does not find a lot things funny. people find me funny but things like some movies I don't find funny just stupid. everyone else thought it was funny. sometimes I miss many aspects of using such as everything is funny. don't get me wrong I love being sober and have no desire to use it just thier were some aspects of high/drunk me I liked better. overall I enjoy being sober much more though. I feel much better today I just felt off yesterday I woke up feeling weird.
David