Notices

Feeling of wanting to drink getting stronger.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling of wanting to drink getting stronger.

Okay this feeling I want to drink is getting stronger. I didn’t want to drink for my firsts 3 months. Now though approaching 6 months sober I keep having thoughts of it would be nice to get wasted. Just forget your problems. I hope when I do finish my amends I the cravings go away for good. They went away after I did my 5 step but slowly the noise in my head returned and I want to shut it up. I've been having thoughts I could get high and not drink and no one would have to know. I'm going to making my first ademends when return to work which might be next Saturday. I hope finish the rest of my ademends get rid of cravings for good.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The cravings WILL ago away!! I PROMISE. And you will be SO SO THRILLED with yourself in the morning when you realize you didn’t drink!
Old 12-20-2021, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m really impressed you came here before you took a drink. 6 months is a fantastic stretch of sobriety. And it’s a point when many of us have the thoughts of picking up again.
‘Don’t do it. There’s nothing good, NOTHING, that will help you by taking a drink.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay the course 100. There is nothing good for us, or for anyone, in drugs and alcohol. The cravings will subside. They are like the ocean - sometimes the tide is in, sometimes it's out. Recovery is a set of skills you can learn and practice. The steps alone won't stop you craving because addiction is a brain disease. What they will do is help you to have a good life where you don't need the escape of drugs and alcohol. You're doing all the right things. This too, shall pass. Thank you for being willing to be vulnerable and sharing with us
Old 12-21-2021, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Almost 6 months!! Let's focus on how far you've come!!

Don't stop now, David. Being wasted just by definition is a WASTE of: time, energy, money, health, effort, commitment, self-confidence and pride. Not worth it!!

I'm looking forward to your 6 months of sobriety post!!
Old 12-21-2021, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Remember, feelings don't have to become actions.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hope today is a better day David, good idea to come here and share/talk it through.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you doing? Least, I like what you said. I am going to have to write that one down.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey 100 - I hope you are doing ok? I also like Least's wise words very much - they are a good mantra for us.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know the feeling, 100...that "noise" in our heads will try from every angle to manipulate us....feel free to join us in other threads for more support: Soberbus, 24 hour check-in, One Year & Under Club...Stay close!
Old 12-22-2021, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

^^^ They are wise words but they're not my words. I heard them here, don't remember who said them, but it's true. Feelings and Actions are totally separate things. So if you have a feeling of wanting to drink, you don't have to turn that into an action.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm still sober, gratefully sober that is. I feel much better lately and it's no coincidence that I haven't missed a meeting for days I've been to 4 meetings in a row.. I missed 3 meeting last week and I the idea of drinking sounded really good. Also im living with my parents and they keep lots of booze in the house so it would be really easy to drink. They don't drink in front of me though and they don't drink my drink of choice. . My point is all weak moment and bam and I'm screwed. I think it being Christmas is a big part to because the holidays was favorite time of year to drink. The other part is I'm doing my amends which terrifies me I don't know if some going to yell at me or start crying. I'm afraid I'll screw it up so I feel nervous and I want to calm down and I think of drinking. I know I've been eating to much to keep myself from drinking. Sometimes drinking doesn't scare me and then that really scares me. I've been praying a lot. Also my friend who was missing showed and I prayed and my prayer was answered.
I know drinkin will make things worse but sometimes It doesn't matter. Sometimes I want to throw it away and give up. Not now but sometimes.
David