Notices

Day 6

Old 05-29-2021, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6

Well it's officially the weekend. A bank holiday one at that (Monday is a bank (i.e. national) holiday over here.

Feeling anxious (just for a change) but trying to stay positive.

Talking of anxiety I used to drink to relax myself but that meant I was often too tired to do much. Now I'm not drinking which has meant my anxiety has crept back up and feeling on edge all the time is exhausting! Almost like I can't win. But I guess the answer is to find something other than drinking (or something else harmful) which can help me to relax.

Day 7 tomorrow - a whole week. Need to be thinking about the plan after that...

Old 05-29-2021, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The reason i fell in love with alcohol is that i couldn't stand how i felt normally. It's that simple. Alcohol was this magic elixir that allowed me to become the person that i thought i should be. Imo a lot of people get mixed up and think that the alcohol has caused them to feel like crap ongoing which is nonsense unless you have been doing some very, very serious drinking over a very, very long time.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scd619x View Post
The reason i fell in love with alcohol is that i couldn't stand how i felt normally. It's that simple. Alcohol was this magic elixir that allowed me to become the person that i thought i should be. Imo a lot of people get mixed up and think that the alcohol has caused them to feel like crap ongoing which is nonsense unless you have been doing some very, very serious drinking over a very, very long time.
Well why did you quit if it was so magical, then? Or have you even quit?

I mean, that post seems pretty insensitive to the many alcoholics and problem drinkers whose lives virtually unraveled due to that magical elixir.

Sure, at first it's fun.

First the man takes a drink
Then the drink takes a drink
Then the drink takes the man

~F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 05-29-2021, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats to you, Jase.

Keep it going, life gets exponentially better the longer you stay away from it.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jase, Thinking about a plan is good idea. I seem to remember you saying that you did some voluntary work in the community - could you do more of that to have something to focus on? I think having nothing to do or too much time can be very hard. Day 6 is great btw. Keep going, don't give up!
Old 05-29-2021, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

When I quit my anxiety ramped up, up, up, up. It was hell on earth, off and on, for over a year.

The easy answer was to relapse. This would quell the anxiety for a day, but then it would come back stronger.

That is addiction 101.

Suffering and time. See a Dr. if things get too bad.

The first year is a big deal, because you have seen all the typical triggers.

Then it is know that the addiction waits and has no time limit. It will be waiting in the shadows.

As things settle down, the addiction morphs.

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your progress Jase
I won't lie it took a while because I'd always been anxious long before I ever drank, but my anxiety slowly got a lot better once I was out of the initial withdrawal period.

D
Old 05-30-2021, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well why did you quit if it was so magical, then? Or have you even quit?

I mean, that post seems pretty insensitive to the many alcoholics and problem drinkers whose lives virtually unraveled due to that magical elixir.

Sure, at first it's fun.

First the man takes a drink
Then the drink takes a drink
Then the drink takes the man

~F. Scott Fitzgerald
I can't cater for all people with my opinions, and it is just that, my opinion. I am referring to people like me who start drinking from a very young age as a way to cope and feel normal. The drinking did not gradually get out of hand, it was get as much as you can from the start. I can't relate to stories of someone's drinking gradually creeping up on them or someone who has successfully built up and business, home, community and the started drinking and lost it all, not my journey. From my first few cans my mother bought me i felt like a giant as opposed to some complete sack of sh*t. It was never fun so i think you and i have had very different drinking careers!