Notices

Advice needed...very confused.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ditto, Bimini and Briansy, Tom. 2 Weeks is not nearly enough. In fact, it might worsen things. After two weeks sober, my anxiety levels were going through the roof; that's when the AV starts realizing "this isn't just a phase, maybe?" And it will stay that way for months. The good news is it gets better every day that you are sober, but slowly, so. Definitely not two weeks - that's just showing yourself "See, I can do it. I don't have a problem." Let's celebrate...
Two weeks is good, but then, after a while, every day without alcohol is good.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tom - That's what SR is for - to help in whatever way we can. Posting is a great idea.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tom, that's a good plan and post here as often as you like.

I hope, after the two weeks, you will continue your sobriety.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just quit drinking Tom before it's too late. I'm glad your here and keep posting. Just remember alcoholism is a disease. What does a disease do to the human body?
Old 02-14-2021, 02:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

hi Tom, and welcome. I'm glad you're here and encourage you to keep posting, no matter what you decide.

When I quit drinking six years ago, I was drinking at about the same level as you -- three to four bottles of wine per week, which is 30 to 40 units. Sometimes a little more. I totally understand that feeling of a "void" in front of you --- I was so afraid that when I stopped, I would feel nothing but that void and would be unable to deal with it. I was really afraid of a deep depression.

I was so pleasantly surprised. Over a period of time, I came to understand that alcohol was causing most of my depression and anxiety, rather than being the solution to it. I started feeling a lot better at the three month mark, and felt really great, and free, after about a year. It was not all rainbows that first year --- I did have a lot of painful feelings I needed to face instead of running away from them. But the process was not as difficult as I feared, and actually it was quite rewarding over time. That process continues to this day and it's a meaningful part of my life, and not a struggle.

In my experience, quitting for two weeks wouldn't have told me much. At two weeks I was just starting to feel physically better, but I was still a long way from knowing what it feels like to live contentedly without alcohol. It can be a hard choice because it is kind of a leap of faith, choosing to dive into the unknown instead of doing the same-old-same-old. I'm so glad I made that leap.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Powerful thread. Thanks to everyone who posted. I hope Tom makes it back here.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I used to laugh at the recommended limit of 1-2 drinks per night, tops. If you are drinking more than that, you're drinking too much. If you have trouble only drinking 1 or 2 a night, you have a drinking problem.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I would stop drinking if I were you! The big question for many people wanting to stop is how do you do that? It’s actually simple, but not easy! You just don’t pick up that first drink! It’s not the second drink or tenth drink that gets you in trouble! It’s the first drink!

The next thing I had to do to stop drinking was asking God for the strength to quit drinking! Just for today! I eventually stopped for good!