Notices

Winter tips?

Old 01-15-2021, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Winter tips?

HI, all,
Hope you are doing well. This is just a vent post. There are a lot of things I am contending with these days—I've mentioned my wildly alcoholic brother and the abuse he puts my mother through. In the past months I've seen a friend lose her spouse, another friend with terrible issues with her son, etc. etc. And the political environment right now... Eee gads. It just seems there's so much bad in the world. Things are so hard for everyone. I'm... dismayed. But... I know, after 47 years of seeing myself get really down this time of year, that EVERY YEAR I struggle in the winter. I live in Ohio, which basically settles into relentless, unchanging gray and cold from November through April. Some mornings I have to self-talk to put on my ready-for-life face, because I have a job where I need to be visible and positive and in problem-solving mode.

I am okay, and won't drink. I guess I'm looking for camaraderie from anyone else who goes dark this time of year. I exercise, eat right, and spend some (miserable) time outside every day. Anyone who's with me in this have any other tips?

Thanks to all of you. I look forward to my SR time every evening, so that's one thing.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FindingMyNext

I can't commiserate with you about the weather, it being summer where I am....and we can't go into politics here....

but I just wanted you to know I hear you and I hope spring, literally and figuratively, is just around the corner.

D
Old 01-15-2021, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I live in Ohio too, and I understand the grey cloudy cold snowy weather we get. I try my best to get out at least once a day to walk, and if it's above 35 F I take my little dog for a walk too. I get a kick out of seeing her checking her peemail so intently.

In winter I like to read more and am online much more. Especially with the pandemic, I like knowing the world is just an electrical signal away.

I also nap more in the winter. When I'm really bored and there's nothing to do, I like to take a nap with my dog. It's a nice little escape in the middle of the day.

From a fellow Buckeye.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Audible books, jigsaw puzzles, new hobby or returning to old interests are all things I am doing now to stay in the moment and off public media. I’m also cooking really nice food to enjoy with lockdown keeping us at home.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was the same way in the rainy Pacific Northwest - long dreary winters, though not that cold. Mostly it's just so dark.

I got S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder), starting in late fall when the days got short.

I finally moved to the Southwest. Sunny everyday. Problem solved.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Northern WI here - I know the long/cold winter all too well! The sun does still shine at times, and we do try and still get out and enjoy the outdoors even in the cold. Certainly it's not as easy as just grabbing your flip-flops and a lawnchair, but things like Bonfires and Hot Chocolate help a little!

As far as the lack of daylight, I have actually tried one of those small natural light contraptions and they do seem to help at work a bit. My wife got one as she's really affected by SAD more than me, it's just a little battery operated screen that looks like an Ipad, but it just has LED bulb that simulates natural light...it's rechargeable and was pretty inexpensive. You can just set them on your desk.