Notices

Getting rid of the beer belly

Old 12-25-2020, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting rid of the beer belly

I've been sober for 10 months but still have a sizable gut from my drinking days. Has anyone found a diet that actually reduces a beer belly? I've tried Keto but that doesn't seem to work very well.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know how old you are but it may just be middle age weight gain. Fewer calories, especially refined carbs, is the only way I know to get rid of it - combined with regular exercise.. One or the other isn't enough. I bike 60-75 miles a week and hike some too.

But as far as diet - sugar, pasta white bread, white rice, potatoes - all bad..

Sugar is in a lot of things, so it's best to eat mostly real food, not processed. Veggies, lean meats, some fat (not Keto amounts) and lots of whole grains like steel cut oats, brown rice, whole grain bread, etc..

I love to eat out, but lost a pound a month this year NOT eating out due to Covid. I wasn't really overweight (I'm a cyclist) but just eating everything home cooked (real food) took the extra off and when I got my bloodwork for my annual physical in Sept the numbers were all perfect.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

Banish Your Belly by Kenton Robinson & the Editors of Men's Health is a really good read about the mechanics of belly reduction. In reading it again and again I got a good understanding that it's not just about dieting because dieting brings up a lot of issues about craving and other things that need to be dealt with for successful Longterm reduction.

Last edited by Dee74; 12-25-2020 at 04:28 PM. Reason: no commercial links please. Title and Author is sufficient :)
Old 12-25-2020, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info. I am definitely middle age and with my drinking history probably way past that in many ways