Notices

Rookie questions, thoughts and random comments

Old 10-29-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rookie questions, thoughts and random comments

I'll have three weeks sober this coming Saturday, so there's that. I have two questions for the seasoned sober among us:

1) Sleep. Once you settle into a routine, did you find yourself needing more than 8 hours of sleep? Less than 8 hours? As of now, I cannot do less than 8 and last night I chalked up nearly 9. Is this rise for concern?

2) Food. I have to be packing away twice the food I did before. I get it, I was consuming almost half my calories in liquor, but I'm eating every 2 - 3 hours. I'm pounding entire bunches of bananas a day, nearly a half-tub a greek yogurt not to mention the dark chocolate I sneak.... and that's between meals. Ironically, I'm not gaining weight, which is weird.... again, is this to be expected?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The sleep settled down for me about 10 days in - I generally got 8 hours for a few years - bit older now its 6.

My appetite settled down after the first month - drinking beer and smoking cigarettes and ingesting not much else probably left me a little malnourished.

D
Old 10-29-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Almost 2 years sober. I probably get between 7 and 8 hours of sleep a night. Much more restful sleep than when I was drinking. As far as eating, yes I eat more. I initially lost weight when I first got sober but have since gained. I enjoy eating a lot more as I no longer have stomach issues from drinking. I think everything you are going through is typical. May take awhile for sleep patterns to regulate. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-29-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

Quick answer...don't overthink things.
1.) your body knows what it needs...listen
2.) combination answer between answer for 1.) and yes...bananas are good, Greek yogurt is good, even dark chocolate with high cocoa 85% is good (30g have 14% d.v. of rec commended fiber and 15% d.v. of rec commended iron. etc.), amounts might be a bit wonky but ease into moderation as body returns to normal by listening to it

side note on sleep: everybody is different, I am good with 6 hours...but since being in a motorcycle accident, while my activity is practically nil compared to pre-accident, I now need 8 hours (with sporadic naps during day) as my body heals, I am sure my sleep will get back to 6 hours when things are physically squared away, I ain't overthinking it...just making sure that I listen :~)
Old 10-29-2020, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.

I should have mentioned that I am more active. Took up walking and carrying a pack (ruck marching). So I can see both having an effect on sleep and diet.

I am prolly overthinking all this!
Old 10-29-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

With almost 11 yrs sober, I get between 6 - 8 hours sleep a night and it's good sleep. I ate a lot more after getting sober too. But I need to gain weight so that's ok.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

I get about 10hrs of sleep a night. I do get a lot of exercise and wear myself out. Sleep is healing to me since I don't get to relax any other time.
Bananas are good you will want to keep your potassium up! Especially if you are active.
Your appetite will probably even out...just keep up with lots of protein.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It took me a while tonget decent proper sleep but I was also addicted to sleeping pills! At 2 and a half years sober I average 7/8 hours a night which is pure bliss. I love sleeping now, I never slept like this when I was drinking.

I wasn't interested in food that much when I was drinking. I def eat alot more now and have a sweet tooth that I didn't have before. I am bigger now than before and my weight is a bit of an ongoing challenge for me however I would still rather thaf than to be drinking!

What you are describing all sounds pretty normal and healthy too! Congrats on your 3 weeks that is awesome. Never look back!
Old 11-01-2020, 02:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sleep has been one of my favorite parts of recovery. I listen to my body. Most nights it's a solid 8 hours, but sometimes a little more or a little less. I never set an alarm clock anymore and I love it!

As for diet, I try to control my portions (not always successful). When I quit drinking a case of beer a day, my sweet tooth came back with a vengeance. I try to balance that with daily walking. I'm a big guy (6'1") and I've always been a bit on the heavy side. I'll never be skinny, but I can still be healthy, even with some extra pounds.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
When I quit drinking a case of beer a day, my sweet tooth came back with a vengeance. I try to balance that with daily walking. I'm a big guy (6'1") and I've always been a bit on the heavy side. I'll never be skinny, but I can still be healthy, even with some extra pounds.
I heard that. I still deal with the sugar cravings. I eat some dark chocolate along with some tea at bedtime. But today, many a Christmas cookie met their end due to me. Many, I say.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Erica375

Originally Posted by Notch8 View Post
But today, many a Christmas cookie met their end due to me. Many, I say.
😂😂😂
Those poor gingerbread men!
Old 12-26-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In the first few months just listen to your body, as previously mentioned. It will balance out. I sleep 7 hours, have for years.

Bananas are loaded with sugar, probably why you are eating so many. I limit myself to 1 or 2 a day, like in a smoothie after a workout. Potassium is good but this time of a year we're not sweating it out like during a summer workout.