Notices

89 months

Old 12-20-2020, 03:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

89 months

89 months today since I gave up the drink. A long and hard fight over many decades resulted in a moment of clarity one July day back in 2013. I've had enough of misery, health problems, family problems, legal and work problems. Did it all go away over night? No, but with steady and slow determination I've reached a state of peace and prosperity I would never have had if I hadn't decided that faithful day that this is it. No more drinking and excuses, complete lifestyle change and things turne around in the right direction. First six months was not easy but once I got through the early days things got much better. I'm just here to do my monthly check in. Hopefully someone else can get inspiration to finally stop this madness.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

tnman - your post helped me - I want my nightmare to end. May God give me strength to be as strong as you...

thank you for sharing
Old 12-20-2020, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post, tnman. Thanks for inspiring our members.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations and happy holidays tnman

D
Old 12-21-2020, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go tnman. I remember you from my class of Aug 2013, you were in the month before I think. The chatty group, haha.

I made it 3+ years then hit some bumps in the road and took a detour, but all is well now.

Keep up the great work!

Old 12-21-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ZIP

Amen to that, tnman. Great work.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whitejay: I hope you will too, just remember that It took many tries. I drank and quit for brief periods of time for the better part of 35 years. So it was many false starts. It never really clicked until I made a mental inventory and decided that I didn't want to live the drinking life anymore. All the other times I quit my heart was not in it and I lied to myself. I am a firm believer that until you decide once and for all that you want a sober life more than being a slave to the bottle you won't succeed. Not trying to be a downer but focus instead of the life you rather want and set goals to get there. It is really not all about strenght although that is part of the equation. The desire to life a life without alcohol will eventually lead to the strenght you need to abstain from drink.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So happy for you! Really that's amazing! Posts like yours are such an inspiration to me that it is possible to leave the worst behind
Old 12-21-2020, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
Whitejay: I hope you will too, just remember that It took many tries. I drank and quit for brief periods of time for the better part of 35 years. So it was many false starts. It never really clicked until I made a mental inventory and decided that I didn't want to live the drinking life anymore. All the other times I quit my heart was not in it and I lied to myself. I am a firm believer that until you decide once and for all that you want a sober life more than being a slave to the bottle you won't succeed. Not trying to be a downer but focus instead of the life you rather want and set goals to get there. It is really not all about strenght although that is part of the equation. The desire to life a life without alcohol will eventually lead to the strenght you need to abstain from drink.
Truer words have not been spoken. When I quit the first time for a year and a half I thought I was done with alcohol. Covid really sent me for a loop and I wasn't strong enough to deal with the isolation. However I feel like a stone skipping across a pond. Some days I do well . some days I sink. I will reach the end of my acceptance of dealing with all the negative and quit again. Posts like yours show me it is possible. Thank you!