Notices

New to the site

Old 11-18-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BMH

New to the site

Howdy,
Just found this website. I am ready to slow down my drinking. Actually, I've been ready for a long time.
I quit hard liquor over 2 years ago. Haven't had a drop since. I would like to slow down my beer drinking but I'm having a hard time. I have been on a daily binge for about the last month. 12 - 14 beers a day. It is affecting my anxiety, my diet (not hungry), my stomach is upset a lot, my exercise (not riding my bike), and just my overall health and well being. I want to slow down.
Is it possible to detox at home? I've read about cutting back daily by 2 beers per day. I've read not to go cold turkey as that is harder to do. I've done 30 and 60 day no alcohol in years past but struggling to do it now. Will the cutting back daily work to slow it down? Is there a good IOS app to help me track my drinks?
Any help and advice is appreciated.
I want to get back on track, drink less beer, eat healthy again and get back on my bike.
Thanks.

BMH
Old 11-18-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went from being a daily 12-18 units drinker to Zero in three days. I was drinking hard liquor and beer every day for many years. Day One, I had two drinks. Day Two, one drink. Day Three, a half shot of rum.

That was nearly seven years ago and I haven't had another drink.

Lots of people just quit cold turkey or go to the doctor for a few days of inexpensive detox meds. Cold turkey can be tricky or it can go fine - no way to know.

Weaning down - don't drag it out. Many people cannot quit that way because once you have two drinks all bets are off, right? That's a problem people try to solve for years and they just keep drinking. If you can't get down to two by tomorrow, maybe better off to call the doctor. You say you're having trouble slowing your drinking? Weaning (cutting back) may not be for you. If the compulsion kicks in, many people cannot stop once they start.

This site is about quitting completely. Is that your goal?
Old 11-18-2020, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with biminiblue. Did you ever drink normally? An alcoholic is just someone who can't drink normally. I told myself my 30 year binge drinking habit was just fun, normal, weekend+ activity until I was in my mid-40's and it was obvious my life was amounting to nothing and serious consequences - health, DUI crash, etc. - were inevitable. It's hard quitting but the alternative is worse.

I highly recommend meetings for newcomers. You don't have to do the steps, you can just listen and talk about your struggles with alcohol. It's very rewarding. Best of luck.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi BMH. I'm glad you joined us.
I found it impossible to control the amounts I drank - no matter how much willpower I tried to summon up. Once it was in my system, my determination went out the window. Although it isn't recommended, I did what Bimini Blue did - gradually lessened what I was drinking until I poured the last one down the sink. I was desperate to quit, though - so it wasn't a half hearted attempt. As Bim mentioned, maybe you could speak to your dr. about this - to be safe.

Talking things over here at SR helped me find the courage to change my life. We know you can do it, too.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Welcome, BMH. I'm glad you found this place. There are a lot of good folks round these parts.

I'd say that probably every one of us shared your goal at one time or another, but not a one of us have discovered the secret to slowing down and staying that way. That's why we're here!

If you want to quit entirely, people here can share their multitude of ways to get there, but they do each have the necessary prerequisite step of not drinking. Think you might be game for that?

O

Old 11-18-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome BMH

Yeah I think most of us tried to slow down - I know I did - but I had no off switch after that first drink.
Not drinking at all - however terrifying that prospect - really works for me.

D

Old 11-18-2020, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Slowing down? Whats that? It's a pipe dream. If you're really an alcoholic then it will never happen this way. Just give it up entirely. Its better than perfect moderation.
Come here often and read our stories. Total abstinence is not a curse, its a blessing.
Glad you're here.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you considered quitting? Is this an option in your mind?
Old 11-22-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Slowing done your drinking, often referred as moderation, didn't work for me. I tried countless strategies to try to get it to work for more than 20 years.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I am also someone who tried to moderate, slow down, taper my drinking and I failed miserably every time. For me. stopping completely was far easier and I could move forward and make other lifestyle changes to help me.

I hope you decide to stop drinking completely.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
BMH

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate the feedback. It has to be all or nothing.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah it does.
The payoff is pretty sweet though

D
Old 11-25-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
BMH

How do you deal with the terrible anxiety? It's so hard to stop as the anxiety always comes back!!!! I hate this cycle I'm in.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

BMH, you have to stick with continuous sober time, as every time you start up again the process gets worse.

Have you read about kindling? Here's a good article, but there's a lot of info out there.

Continuous Sober Time. For me, it took months of being sober before the anxiety eased off completely but after about three months I felt pretty good. It's worth it to keep going - otherwise it's just a very bad Groundhog's Day.