Notices

doing sober october

Old 10-06-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

doing sober october

started on the morning of the 21st September but decided to take it into the month of October.

Had a big hangover the night of the 20th of September and felt awful the next day.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by glassman View Post
started on the morning of the 21st September but decided to take it into the month of October.

Had a big hangover the night of the 20th of September and felt awful the next day.
Hi, glassman. I don't really understand your post? Are you planning to just do the "sober thing" for October? And then drink again? Why are you on SR? Are you a "problem-drinker"/alcoholic? If so, or if you think you are, give us some background.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thought it a good time to try and quit forever. a little before sober october and then all during it.

Problem drinker who does all their drinking in the pub.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Glassman
There are all kinds of drinkers here from the social drinker to the solitary drinker to the binge drinker, or the so-called problem drinker right up to the all day every day alcoholic, so you’ll fit right in.

D
Old 10-06-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to have you join us, Glassman. We're here to help if we can.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Problem drinker in pubs but glad to say I don't think i'm an alcoholic yet. A hangover is enough to put me right off drink for a while.

I'm sure all alcoholics start off as so called normal drinkers though. I'm going to try and quit after many failed attempts.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome, glassman.
i differ with you on the "I'm sure all alcoholics start off as so called normal drinkers though". many of us had a wonky, definitely not "normal", relationship with alcohol right from the start.
in any case, good to see you here, wanting to try and quit.
it is totally doable.
what, if anything, happens when/if you change "i am going to try and quit" to "i quit"?
Old 10-07-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit doing one month at a time. Few failures before I got it right. One month led to another goal, to another, I have 3 years in a couple weeks.

I remember referencing an alcoholic I knew, saying I could not understand why he didn't quit when it became a problem. I used that for myself, it was becoming a problem, I quit. Life without alcohol is so much better. Different, but far better in terms of health, relationships, coping skills. I experienced tremendous emotional growth the last few years and my only regret, is I didn't quit sooner. I am glad for alcoholism, because it showed me how I don't want to live, I wish I had headed it off sooner.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't think i'm an alcoholic yet. ... I'm going to try and quit after many failed attempts.
Hello,

Just a little FYI ~ Normal drinkers don't try to quit drinking. And if they decide to stop - they just do. Normal drinkers don't get wrapped up in some weird cycle of trying to quit and failing...like alcoholics do.

Best.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glassman, Welcome and I'm glad you've decided to take action before things get worse.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's how I started was "Dry January" and it evolved into 3 years sober December 24th! Welcome!
Old 10-10-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

sadly doens't look like it will last. Still not had a drink yet but don't think I can resist any longer and may drink tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
welcome, glassman.
i differ with you on the "I'm sure all alcoholics start off as so called normal drinkers though". many of us had a wonky, definitely not "normal", relationship with alcohol right from the start.
in any case, good to see you here, wanting to try and quit.
it is totally doable.
what, if anything, happens when/if you change "i am going to try and quit" to "i quit"?
I'll rephrase it as MOST alcoholics start off as normal drinkers. Rare is it to go from t total to alcoholic without doing the steps in between. Some people go very fast but there will be period where they are out drinking with friends or having a glass of wine at a meal i.e. they are what's called normal drinkers at that point. Some may stay like that for 10 years before becoming alcoholic in their 30s for example.

stay safe
Old 10-10-2020, 10:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad to see you. I totally agree that its a continuim. I do disagree though with Lumen about it being easy for non-problem drinkers to stop. Drinking is so engrained on our culture and lives that my friends who are moderate drinkers all say that being honest it would be hard for them to stop completely. They think that we Tee Totalers rock. Just saying.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i'm about to have some drinks. 20 days is still pretty good for me. sadly just going to have to learn to live with binges or nights out etc..

Old 10-10-2020, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you change your mind.
Staying sober is hard - it’s gonna take more than one or two posts on the internet - but it really is possible. The effort you put in will come back to you in spades.

Changing my self destructive behaviour has made a world if difference for me. It’s a true life changer.

if you hate the way you’re living now, drinking is not a viable option.
Not drinking is.

D
Old 10-10-2020, 07:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

okay, you have to learn to live with binges...yeah??
only if you are not willing to learn to live without them.

living with binges...is that good enough for you?
Old 10-10-2020, 08:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, that sucks. I hope you can change your mind about "live with binges". That seems like a lot of hurt in the morning. It also sounds like denial as to what your drinking could be?

Some of your terminology is right in line with alcoholic thinking. "Binges" "Problem drinker". "Quit after many failed attempts." I'm not saying you're an alcoholic. I am saying the "wording" you are using may suggest something and it may need a closer look.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Were here when you need us glassman.
be safe!
Old 10-11-2020, 08:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

only had about 8 beers last night and sipped them slowly. Still, broke my 20 day dry spell.

Don't think I can do the quit but i'll still try and keep the drinking to a min.