Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Am I Having Prolonged Alcohol Withdrawal? Weird Physical Symptoms. Scared.

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all, for all my life I've rarely drank alcohol; maybe 10 drinks a year at celebration times. Recently, recovering from surgery and was on hydrocodone and Xanax for 2 weeks. When that ran out was still in pain and anxious so started drinking wine and hard liquor over 4 weeks and taking trazadone. Last Saturday experienced swollen face with burning sensation. Stopped all alcohol and meds.

Could not sleep Saturday night, nor any night since then (now 7 days later). The 2nd day I felt unwell and really felt my heart beating. I also started going to the bathroom every 45min to 1hr all day long. By day 3 off alcohol (Tuesday), I felt light headed and dizzy and felt pressure on my chest. I developed burning skin sensation in my face, across my upper chest and down my upper arms. Was really scared and went to ER.

At ER, had blood pressure of 197/101 (normal for me is 130 - 140). EKG was slightly abnormal but not dramatically so. Urinalysis was normal and blood work was normal except slightly low MCV (blood platelets = anemia?). Chest X-ray was suspicious of something on lungs but CT scan was fine. Rapid test for covid was negative. They stabilized my pressure at 157 and discharged me with dexamethasone (steroid) for 5 days. Could not figure out what was wrong. Said maybe an allergic reaction or something.

Since then, on days 4 - 6 post alcohol, my blood pressure was holding around 160 but could swing wildly just by moving around. And continued to have periodic burning skin sensation in my face and upper arms/chest. Still bad insomnia and. frequent urination. Made mistake of drinking green tea last night and 30min after felt I was going to faint. My blood pressure shot up to 170.

Had to take 2 ambien to sleep at least 4hrs last night. Bad insomnia. Today, day 7 post, still have periodic burning skin (like rubbing menthol on) on upper arms but less in face and chest. Blood pressure has been (knock on wood) holding in 130 - 140 range; once or twice immediately after moving around it went up to 150.

From reading online, these don't seem classic alcohol withdrawal symptoms or are they? The doctors dismissed having any withdrawal given it was only 3 weeks of prolonged alcohol and no prior history. Do you think they are correct or could these be unusual symptoms from alcohol? I have not had any fatigue, hallucinations, or any other symptoms except the ones mentioned. So terrified of what's going on with me and appreciate any thoughts!
Old 08-01-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Insomnia is a very typical symptom from alcohol withdrawal and should probably get back to normal before too long.

Other than that, blood pressure symptoms are common during withdrawal. You should probably talk to your dr if you're not comfortable with what you were told at the ER regarding your blood pressure and other symptoms. I do hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the quick response. I'm crossing fingers things start to normalize. One other symptom I missed is that often at night I get whole body chills/shakes like I have a fever or in the arctic cold. But my temperature is always normal. Have you ever heard of anything like this with alcohol?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

"...still have periodic burning skin (like rubbing menthol on) on upper arms..."
That is unfamiliar to me. I've never experienced it nor met anyone who has, and I was a late stage alcoholic.

That is something I'd bring up to a new doctor - just to get a 2nd professional opinion.

Insomnia, elevated blood pressure, rapid heart beat, anxiety, and shakiness can all be symptoms of withdrawal. One thing you mentioned that I'll address is that you immediately started drinking once you ran out of Xanax, which you took for two weeks.

Xanax is extremely addicting and it acts on the brain like alcohol does - they're both extremely sedating. I had to detox from both at the same time and I never experienced a burning sensation anywhere on my skin. I suggest bring this up to your Dr. (I'm not one) and bring up your concerns - especially the burning sensation you're experiencing. I imagine you'll get a lot of responses to that issue.

Best.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In a lot of ways it sounds like PAWS post Acute withdrawal syndrome but unlikely after such a short time of drinking
Old 08-02-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Roamer

the bottom line is none of us here are doctors - I'd want an assessment from my own doctor if it was me.
I hope you find out what the problem is

D
Old 08-02-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Dr. is the safest answer. I would feel horrible if you just hydrated and did some push ups and then had a stroke.

I don't want to scare you, but that bp was totally asking for it.

​​​​​​The world according to D112y doesn't like RX meds for personal reasons.

In your case there was no other way.

Nobody but me really knows how I feel. I suffered like hell for well over a year. But, my bp wasn't that bad once I quit drinking. But, I wasn't taking meds at all.

The half-life of meds is significant as far as I know.

Talking to a Dr. is the only answer allowed. In my experience, I hate Drs unless I am very very sick. No Willie Nillie visits for me.

Suffering and clean time were my way out.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well 9 days after stopping my short drinking stint for a few weeks I ended up hospitalized yesterday. Been dealing with the weirdest symptoms that abruptly come and go: random uncontrolled shivers, super frequent urination, blood pressure soaring in minutes from 145 to 190, fast irregular heartbeat, burning skin sensation both arms across chest and face (especially lips tingling), very light headed and dizzy. The one that really bothered me is if I ate anything hot my blood pressure would instantly spike to 180 and would feel like passing out.

they ran all my tests and outside very high blood pressure and heartbeat, labs were normal except slightly anemic and pretty high lactic acid level. Couldn’t breathe and left hand was going numb when I was admitted.

After one of the docs spent apt of time going thru my case history he has a hypothesis: “complicated” substance withdrawl: I took hydro and Xanax for 2 weeks, then a few weeks of alcohol, all the time I’ve been taking 20mg of ambien a night and up to 2 days ago was pushing 30mg. He said all those substances effect the same brain chemicals (GABA being the big one). He said that could have intensified and lengthened my withdrawl symptoms. Likely have very low GABA and other brain chemicals now. Understand it’s a break on the body’s nervous system and all these symptoms like super fast blood pressure rise eating something hot can result from that.

last night in hospital was first time in a long time without ambian and stayed up entire night. Not sure if I can sleeping tonight even. Guess major withdrawals. Wonder how long someone can go without sleep? Ugh. Really wondering how long this is going to last before things start to really improve?

Blood pressure has ranged from 132 to 155 today. Guess good news is this is first time I’ve seen any BP under 140 since this stated. Hoping I make it thru all of this!
Old 08-05-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad you sought some help.
Hospital is the best place to be when that kind of thing is going on.

So, sounds to me like as long as you keep mind and body clear things will get better?

D
Old 08-05-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roamer9 View Post
Hi all, for all my life I've rarely drank alcohol; maybe 10 drinks a year at celebration times. Recently, recovering from surgery and was on hydrocodone and Xanax for 2 weeks. When that ran out was still in pain and anxious so started drinking wine and hard liquor over 4 weeks and taking trazadone. Last Saturday experienced swollen face with burning sensation. Stopped all alcohol and meds.

Could not sleep Saturday night, nor any night since then (now 7 days later). The 2nd day I felt unwell and really felt my heart beating. I also started going to the bathroom every 45min to 1hr all day long. By day 3 off alcohol (Tuesday), I felt light headed and dizzy and felt pressure on my chest. I developed burning skin sensation in my face, across my upper chest and down my upper arms. Was really scared and went to ER.

At ER, had blood pressure of 197/101 (normal for me is 130 - 140). EKG was slightly abnormal but not dramatically so. Urinalysis was normal and blood work was normal except slightly low MCV (blood platelets = anemia?). Chest X-ray was suspicious of something on lungs but CT scan was fine. Rapid test for covid was negative. They stabilized my pressure at 157 and discharged me with dexamethasone (steroid) for 5 days. Could not figure out what was wrong. Said maybe an allergic reaction or something.

Since then, on days 4 - 6 post alcohol, my blood pressure was holding around 160 but could swing wildly just by moving around. And continued to have periodic burning skin sensation in my face and upper arms/chest. Still bad insomnia and. frequent urination. Made mistake of drinking green tea last night and 30min after felt I was going to faint. My blood pressure shot up to 170.

Had to take 2 ambien to sleep at least 4hrs last night. Bad insomnia. Today, day 7 post, still have periodic burning skin (like rubbing menthol on) on upper arms but less in face and chest. Blood pressure has been (knock on wood) holding in 130 - 140 range; once or twice immediately after moving around it went up to 150.

From reading online, these don't seem classic alcohol withdrawal symptoms or are they? The doctors dismissed having any withdrawal given it was only 3 weeks of prolonged alcohol and no prior history. Do you think they are correct or could these be unusual symptoms from alcohol? I have not had any fatigue, hallucinations, or any other symptoms except the ones mentioned. So terrified of what's going on with me and appreciate any thoughts!

The skin burning is a benzo withdrawal from the Xanax. I had that myself. The severity will taper off in a week or 2, you just gotta hang in there. The BP spikes for me was anxiety although I almost drank myself to death.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I’m glad you are in the hospital...these are a weird set of symptoms! It’s good that your BP is stabilizing. Keep us updated!
Old 08-07-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have you discussed perhaps tapering from the Xanax? 2 weeks on a high potent benzo like Xanax and then crashing off it sounds a bit risky to me. Maybe mention this to them and get their opinion on this matter.

remember this distress is only temporary. It will get better. Perhaps lay off the booze though too. It’s not worth it if you have anxiety. I speak from my own experience.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You will make it thru this if you continue to stay away from the alcohol.
I remember having all kinds of these problems in 2005 when I quit drinking alcohol...almost to the point where I was thinking "I should drink because I didn't feel like this when I was drinking"....But, I stuck to not drinking and there came a point when I finally felt well....and I finally had a Dr. visit where my b/p was in normal range.

In 2014 I started to drink again and within 6 months time I was back in the hospital for "withdrawals", high blood pressure, my blood counts were off...I am anemic now and I do get the "chills" from it...when my body is "off" from all the alcohol it doesn't function well....its purse "science"....

Many times when I reach week 2 of not drinking everything starts to get better, sleep, eating habits, blood pressure, anxiety and depression. Don't give up and roll with the wave and hopefully you will never have to go thru this again if you do not pick up a drink.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone here for the feedback. After 4 days in hospital I’m home. Still not normal but seem better.

they ran every imaging test possible from my brain to my abdomen, tons of blood and urine tests. They even ran a drug screen that I didn’t know about (negative, I don’t do drugs unless prescribed). They also ran multiple and different type of Covid tests (negative on all). Also did a brain EEG, heart ECG and echo cardio gram.

They reviewed all this against my symptoms: irregular racing heartbeat, periodic temperature swings from normal to vet low fever (99.5 - 100.4), super high blood pressure up to 180 but would swing wildly between lying down, sitting and standing like my body couldn’t regulate itself, super major insomnia (stayed up 48hrs until the gave me some Ativan (benzo) to get me to sleep nights, burning, pins and needles skin sensations in face lips upper arms and outer edges of chest (would come and go in waves), shortness of breath and feeling dizzy at times, and periodic body shivers once or twice a day.

all of this shouldn’t happen from a short 3 week Binger but the hypothesis is: I was taking Metformin (pre diabetic) which should not be mixed with alcohol but I drank heavy for 3 weeks, and I had come off 2 weeks post surgery Xanax and hydrocodone and was on high levels of ambien (20mg night). Somehow that combo pushed me into lactic acidosis (only blood test that was abnormal). It wasn’t crisis level when they tested but quite elevated and may have been much higher last week. I stopped drinking abruptly and that put me in serious withdrawals for some some reason on top of the lactic acidosis and thing spiraled out of control.

My heart tests were all fine except ECG showed periodic irregular heartbeats for reason unknown. I did suffer a few VERY tiny mini strokes probably due to the soaring high blood pressure. They were invisible on CT scan but did show on MRI. They put me on Plavix for life to prevent clotting. They think I developed very tiny clots due to the blood pressure reaching 200 and peak.

so now that I’m home, I Am at 14 days post last drink and I feel better but still many symptoms: my heart can start racing and pounding very easy though not as bad as it was. My blood pressure is now running 140 - 150 at least the few times I check it during day, I do get a few light fevers that come and go in an hour or so, i no longer get face/lip tingling or burning sensations, but if I’m not active i will feel it in my arms, I have crazy bad insomnia but that may be also from coming off ambien. No more body shivers or dizzy ness now.

Has anyone had any/all of these symptoms 2 weeks out? Did they get better or am I likely permanently harmed? I would have thought after 14 days I’d be pretty close to normal. How long did you end up having some of these symptoms before they went away? And finally anything recommended you help physical recovery?
Old 08-10-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roamer9 View Post
Thanks to everyone here for the feedback. After 4 days in hospital I’m home. Still not normal but seem better.

they ran every imaging test possible from my brain to my abdomen, tons of blood and urine tests. They even ran a drug screen that I didn’t know about (negative, I don’t do drugs unless prescribed). They also ran multiple and different type of Covid tests (negative on all). Also did a brain EEG, heart ECG and echo cardio gram.

They reviewed all this against my symptoms: irregular racing heartbeat, periodic temperature swings from normal to vet low fever (99.5 - 100.4), super high blood pressure up to 180 but would swing wildly between lying down, sitting and standing like my body couldn’t regulate itself, super major insomnia (stayed up 48hrs until the gave me some Ativan (benzo) to get me to sleep nights, burning, pins and needles skin sensations in face lips upper arms and outer edges of chest (would come and go in waves), shortness of breath and feeling dizzy at times, and periodic body shivers once or twice a day.

all of this shouldn’t happen from a short 3 week Binger but the hypothesis is: I was taking Metformin (pre diabetic) which should not be mixed with alcohol but I drank heavy for 3 weeks, and I had come off 2 weeks post surgery Xanax and hydrocodone and was on high levels of ambien (20mg night). Somehow that combo pushed me into lactic acidosis (only blood test that was abnormal). It wasn’t crisis level when they tested but quite elevated and may have been much higher last week. I stopped drinking abruptly and that put me in serious withdrawals for some some reason on top of the lactic acidosis and thing spiraled out of control.

My heart tests were all fine except ECG showed periodic irregular heartbeats for reason unknown. I did suffer a few VERY tiny mini strokes probably due to the soaring high blood pressure. They were invisible on CT scan but did show on MRI. They put me on Plavix for life to prevent clotting. They think I developed very tiny clots due to the blood pressure reaching 200 and peak.

so now that I’m home, I Am at 14 days post last drink and I feel better but still many symptoms: my heart can start racing and pounding very easy though not as bad as it was. My blood pressure is now running 140 - 150 at least the few times I check it during day, I do get a few light fevers that come and go in an hour or so, i no longer get face/lip tingling or burning sensations, but if I’m not active i will feel it in my arms, I have crazy bad insomnia but that may be also from coming off ambien. No more body shivers or dizzy ness now.

Has anyone had any/all of these symptoms 2 weeks out? Did they get better or am I likely permanently harmed? I would have thought after 14 days I’d be pretty close to normal. How long did you end up having some of these symptoms before they went away? And finally anything recommended you help physical recovery?
well I am sure you have come across PAWS (post acute withdrawal) so I did have a couple of your symptoms. I did not have face tingling but brain zaps. Like electricity flowing from my brain across my body and dizziness. I’m 9 months into sobriety but recovering gradually.

i will add not everyone gets PAWS and it appears like you are already making strides in your recovery. My advice to you is for you to accept that you have had your day drinking and it’s time to reach out to more positive things in life.

keep us updated
Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

BP was fluctuating from 140 up to 156 today so clinic gave me BP meds finally (Avapro) to help bring down. Will take and see if that can help bring BP under control until my body can regulate better on it's own. I'm at 16 days last drink. From others experience, did they still have BP issues at 2 weeks and when did it get closer to normal?

Besides BP, I get rapid pulse and heartbeat still. My pulse will get up to 110 to 115 at some points and at best now seems to be around 95. Have to stay with caffeine or my pulse goes crazy. Still having the very low fevers. Sometimes will be 98.5 but then for half the day will range between 99.2 and 99.8. Only rarely does it hit 100. Had another COVID test today and again negative so it's not that.

Other than that the biggest thing is I just can't sleep. I realize this is from the combined withdrawals (including from Ambien). Trying 5mg melatonin, 5-HTP, Magnesium, CBD Oil, and added GABA supplement today. My nights it feels like I don't sleep at all cause it feels like I just lay there and my brain races and I look at the clock and it's only 20 or 30min later. But I recall very vivid dreams so must be falling in and out of light sleep all night. I'm seeing a sleep doctor/psych this week for their advice. Anyone else tried anything different to get to sleep? How long did your insomnia last?

My strange sensations seem to be better. Nothing left in face/lips. And just occasionally now the burning sensation/tingling in upper arms. Hoping I'm slowly healing my brain and body.

I really appreciate everyone's perspective on their experience with some of these symptoms and how they got thru it. Never experienced anything like this in my life and just so crazy this would happen from such a short stint; but I realize the Ambien and prior 2 weeks hydrocodone/xanax (now 6 weeks ago) may have contributed as well.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

All I'm at 3wks today since my short but deep 3wk binger and 2wks since last Ambien. Been thru a lot and seems more than most would suffer under these circumstances. As of today, my burning and tingling skin sensations are all gone. Have not run a low grade fever in a few days now. Currently, I'm left with high blood pressure, some insomnia, and occasion heart palpitations or fast heartbeat, usually after drinking something hot, especially any caffeine. The shivers/shakes, burning/tingling, panic attacks, and low-grade fever all appear to be gone. My brain no longer feels like it is buzzing at 500 mph.

My BP is now ranging from 130 to 150 with BP meds. Seems to be ever so slowly coming down. Has anyone still had high BP at 3wks post, and if so how long did it take to finally get back to normal?

I'm taking melatonin, 5-HTP, GABA, and CBD oil, along with a very low dose anti-depressant at night for sleep benefits. Can get to sleep but wake up several times at night. Still, better than it was when my brain was buzzing all night and I could not sleep at all.

I read here and other places about acamprosate (generic Campral). I don't have any cravings which is what it is usually prescribed for but apparently it can also help with re-balancing the brain between GABA and Glutamate transmission during withdrawals. Asked my dr for script and he agreed it was worth a try with little side effects. Been on it for 3 days now. Is it helping with my continued improvement or would I have improved without? Have no idea but seems worth taking for awhile just in case it is helping re-orient my brain chemistry.

From reading online about boosting GABA and lowering Glutamate, I'm eating a lot of yogurt, nuts, and brown rice, restricting caffeine intake, trying to eat more fruits and veggies, and taking a few supplements that are supposed to help: COQ10, Taurine, Vitamin B6, PQQ. Anyone try anything else that they had positive experiences with?
Old 08-15-2020, 12:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sounds woo woo perhaps, but yoga was really helpful for me in early recovery. Lots of free classes on youtube even with Covid.
There are also a number of good DVDS on Amazon to cater to gentle, vigorous, etc. if you want a more structured practice.

Yoga seemed to help me "get back" into my body and to release some physical tension I didn't know I was holding.
I also took many walks and spent time just sitting in Nature--hiking, watching birds, etc.

Plenty of old movies, good novels, hot showers and home cooking also good--plus, herbal teas gave me a "drink" to hold that was comforting and a good way to begin / end the day.

Glad you are feeling better. For what it is worth, every relapse I have had in the last few years has led to more and more severe withdrawal / PAWs symptoms. Make this your final quit
Old 08-15-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Sounds woo woo perhaps, but yoga was really helpful for me in early recovery. Lots of free classes on youtube even with Covid.
There are also a number of good DVDS on Amazon to cater to gentle, vigorous, etc. if you want a more structured practice.

Yoga seemed to help me "get back" into my body and to release some physical tension I didn't know I was holding.
I also took many walks and spent time just sitting in Nature--hiking, watching birds, etc.

Plenty of old movies, good novels, hot showers and home cooking also good--plus, herbal teas gave me a "drink" to hold that was comforting and a good way to begin / end the day.

Glad you are feeling better. For what it is worth, every relapse I have had in the last few years has led to more and more severe withdrawal / PAWs symptoms. Make this your final quit
I'm going to try the yoga. I was reading it can help boost GABA in brain and help re-balance things.

The weirdest thing is my BP swings around so much and apparently inverse to how its supposed to move. If I'm walking around and active, my BP tends to be in the 135 - 145 range. It goes into the 150's overnight and if I just lay around. Today I was just laying on sofa and it was holding around 155/90. Went fast walking on treadmill for 60min and BP was DOWN to 120/85. Has anyone experienced these kind of erratic BP measures 3wks or more out from stopping?
Old 08-18-2020, 07:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My BP is now ranging from 130 to 150 with BP meds.

In my opinion your BP is still too high, talk to your doctor. I needed two different medications to bring my BP down and I've taken that same combination for over 20 years with no side effects. Last weekend when I took my blood pressure it was 107 - 68 which is pretty typical for me. It's possible that you can lower your blood pressure further.