Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How badly damaged was your liver when you stopped drinking ?

Notices

Old 03-03-2020, 12:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

....and how long did it take for your liver to recover ?
Old 03-03-2020, 02:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no idea because I did not test it.
If you are worried about your liver you should go to a doctor and they will do blood tests and ultrasounds (I think). I am no doctor but my understanding is that your blood could show as OK and your liver be scarred.

In any case, we know alcohol affects the liver. We know that long-sustained consumption will damage the liver (and every other organ the alcohol touches). We also know that the liver self-recovers if you stop drinking.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A link from the NHS (UK national health service) https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/alcoho...-disease-arld/

It states that a fatty liver will take about 2 weeks to recover;. Other conditions require longer. Others are not reversible
Old 03-03-2020, 03:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I stopped the first time in 2014, my liver enzymes were 2.5 times what they should have been. I was 31 at the time. I was told it was due to my drinking. I had a blood test done only about a year previously and everything was fine at that time- showed how my addiction advanced quickly.

After a few months been sober, they went back to normal. If I had kept drinking like I was doing at that time (2014) I would defiantly have a fatty liver, cirrhosis or worse now
Old 03-03-2020, 03:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Mine was completely normal which was why my Doc was amazed when I told him how much I drank.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very brink of cirrhosis. I quit cold turkey and things returned normal around 90-100 days, by some miracle. I've stayed sober since, 4 yrs now, and done all I can to be healthy. I don't even take advil or birth control pills as the can negatively impact someone with a damaged liver. I don't have another chance to kill myself, in any way.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been suffering fom "Liver pain" for a few years in varying degrees. Sometimes bad and sometimes hardly noticeable. But always there, except when it was totally anesthetized by alcohol - or maybe I was just too drunk to notice, or care. I'm now on day 83 sober, and although my liver still hurts at times, there has been a marked improvement. I get sudden cramps there - liver and over my pancreas area - at times. It sometimes lasts a couple of minutes, but the feeling of permanently carrying a brick below my lower right ribs are gone. I believe - and hope - that the smaller pains will also go in time...
I've been drinking a bottle of Scotch a day most days for six+ years, if that is any indication or comparison to you.... Good luck.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had a whole host of health issues when I quit - elevated liver enzymes, GI issues, high blood pressure, and so on ans so forth. Drinking was the problem of course, so quitting helped a lot. But it's best to work with your doctor on your overall health - liver function is only one piece of the puzzle. For example, when I was drinking at the peak, I ate a very poor diet as well because my stomach was constantly full of empty calories. I needed to adjust that after I quit to start eating more regulalry and better foods. Exercise was virtually non-existent in my life while drinking too, so I needed to improve in that area too.

Many of the acute problems did lessen significantly within a couple of months for me, but please be wary of comparing your recovery to others. We are all unique and working with your doctor on health-specific issues is your best bet.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My liver was fine.. my Soul was shattered.. very dark.. in my experience it does different things to different people. Did not hurt me much physically but mentally not so much.

A guy in recovery said, your soul is like a jack-o’-lantern, pumpkin I had to scrub out all the seeds and crap, stick a candle in it to get some light shining inside my soul

Again just my experience Wishing you the best.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Dave42001 View Post
My liver was fine.. my Soul was shattered.. very dark.. in my experience it does different things to different people. Did not hurt me much physically but mentally not so much.

A guy in recovery said, your soul is like a jack-o’-lantern, pumpkin I had to scrub out all the seeds and crap, stick a candle in it to get some light shining inside my soul

Again just my experience Wishing you the best.
yes its definitely the mental state that hurts. Physical pain whatever.... I can deal with that but not the emotional part.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was on the edge of cirrhosis. It took 18 months for me to get my liver enzymes back to a normal level.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I tested. No damage.