Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

A short video which describes the application of my non-drinking mindset

Notices

Old 02-26-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feed the Wolf of Sobriety and simply acknowledge the Wolf of Addiction.

That's important, for if I fight the Wolf of Addiction (which I name my AV), I may lose and be at risk of carrying out its drink mandate. I guess some folks call it surrender, but I call it acknowledging and then dismissing, because to fight it will make it's cravings grow stronger, I've found. Then quietly, refocusing my attention in readiness for the next habitual thought:

https://youtu.be/vzKryaN44ss
Old 02-26-2020, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great story I've read it and heard it many times now, but its substance is so brilliant, it never gets old.

You can also combine that with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nsySCMH36s
Old 02-27-2020, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think that's a great way of putting it. The goal has never been to "defeat" my AV but rather to disengage and observe it as I maintain my autonomy. In the beginning it can require large amounts of conscious effort to re-direct our thoughts, but even if the (seemingly both unhealthy) choices are give in to the obsession to drink or immerse ourselves in an obsession with recovery.. there's still always a choice imo.

In the "program" I'm in.. they mention how surrender put another way can simply mean "total and complete acceptance". Makes sense to me.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post
In the beginning it can require large amounts of conscious effort to re-direct our thoughts, but even if the (seemingly both unhealthy) choices are give in to the obsession to drink or immerse ourselves in an obsession with recovery.. there's still always a choice imo.
I like this a lot and agree strongly!
Old 02-28-2020, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post
In the "program" I'm in.. they mention how surrender put another way can simply mean "total and complete acceptance". Makes sense to me.
That makes sense and sounds like a great ethos, Cosima. What program are you in?
Old 02-28-2020, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh yes, Kk, Mindfulness, thats played a massive role in my mind's management of my brain's automatic, habituated thought patterns. I understand it's now taught in some schools, but out of context, almost. The context should be a manual for understanding and controlling the lower brain's urges and cravings, by employing the higher brain's mind.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
That makes sense and sounds like a great ethos, Cosima. What program are you in?
It's just a program overlapping abuse, which often first occurs in childhood (covering things like PTSD, boundaries, learning to develop internal validation, self esteem, etc.) and addiction. I sometimes feel it's not moving fast enough as the first half is about addiction.. and frankly, it's nothing I haven't heard before.

But they put a different, more clinical spin on things.. For example, they (directly) say there's nothing original or proprietary about any of the steps other than step one. The HP concept, taking personal inventory, making amends, spiritual awakening.. All of those things have been around and available long before AA existed. But if you're fully convinced of step one (powerlessness, alcoholism as an innate part of identity) you'll do 2-12 exactly as they're written because you'll be too afraid not to.

Personally I've never wanted my sobriety to be based in fear. I may sometimes be powerless to control my thoughts or emotions, but by by gaining an objective conscious awareness of them I retain power over myself and my actions.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tatsy, this is great. I am going to add it to my repertoire. I am trying to practice more mindfulness. I enjoyed those videos at the beginning of this thread.