Notices

Elevated ferritin

Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Elevated ferritin

I recently got some blood tests done, not due to alcohol just because they like to do it each year. I’m not sure specifically what they test for.
Anyways they called and said my ferritin is elevated and it looks like this is due to iron being elevated which could be many things but now the side effects are killing me!
Shortness of breath, dizziness and fatigue.

I have always had issues with my blood but it’s never bothered me until this new recent issue.
Anyone else have this? Is it alcohol related?
Old 01-06-2020, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my experience, pretty much anything in our body can (and eventually is) harmed by alcohol when in excess. Like me and most alcoholics! My liver panels were perilously high and somehow did normalize when I quit; I do have elevated platelets but not in a serious risk range.

Getting sober was my solution to getting the healthiest I can be.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful

Googled "elevated ferritin" and found this at the top of the screen:

"The most common causes of elevated ferritin levels are obesity, inflammation, and daily alcohol intake."

https://www.healthline.com/health/ferritin#high-levels

Alcohol isn't the only cause for increased ferritin levels but is is one of the more common reasons. Anything that can affect your your liver's function negatively can also affect your ferritin levels. The article lists several other things that can cause ferritin levels to be high, but then is states the most common reasons (the ones I listed above).

Disclaimer: This is NOT medical advice, just a simple answer to your question of "is it alcohol related?".
Old 01-06-2020, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
Googled "elevated ferritin" and found this at the top of the screen:

"The most common causes of elevated ferritin levels are obesity, inflammation, and daily alcohol intake."

https://www.healthline.com/health/ferritin#high-levels

Alcohol isn't the only cause for increased ferritin levels but is is one of the more common reasons. Anything that can affect your your liver's function negatively can also affect your ferritin levels. The article lists several other things that can cause ferritin levels to be high, but then is states the most common reasons (the ones I listed above).

Disclaimer: This is NOT medical advice, just a simple answer to your question of "is it alcohol related?".
the more likely cause for me would be obesity then . I have struggled with my weight due to depression and gained a lot. I am work f on it and losing weight now though. I don’t have a “daily” alcohol intake. But if they just mean overall alcohol intake, I guess I’d be higher at about 3 single shots per day if you average it all out. That is a general month. Sometimes it could be lower. Sometimes I may be closer to 6 per day if I go on vacation or something.
I can’t get into the doctor for another couple weeks since they told me to go back in 6 weeks. Hopefully by then it’s lowered . Especially since I won’t be drinking!!
Old 01-07-2020, 01:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post

the more likely cause for me would be obesity then . I have struggled with my weight due to depression and gained a lot. I am work f on it and losing weight now though. I don’t have a “daily” alcohol intake. But if they just mean overall alcohol intake, I guess I’d be higher at about 3 single shots per day if you average it all out. That is a general month. Sometimes it could be lower. Sometimes I may be closer to 6 per day if I go on vacation or something.
I can’t get into the doctor for another couple weeks since they told me to go back in 6 weeks. Hopefully by then it’s lowered . Especially since I won’t be drinking!!
oh wow I totally calculated this wrong. Even a month where I’m on vacation say,10 days, most drinks average per day in a 30 day month would be about 3.5. My math is bad. I’ve never drank every day of vacation so my daily average is still just higher than recommended. Still too much I know.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Compounding factors just make us sicker. Sure, losing weight could help and perhaps is the main cause for you - but the alcohol part can't be helpful if you keep it in play.

When I quit, I realized I had to "isolate the variable" - getting rid of the alcohol made it possible to examine everything else going on with me.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Compounding factors just make us sicker. Sure, losing weight could help and perhaps is the main cause for you - but the alcohol part can't be helpful if you keep it in play.

When I quit, I realized I had to "isolate the variable" - getting rid of the alcohol made it possible to examine everything else going on with me.
no alcohol isn’t making it better....which is why I’ve quit before making it worse.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Right! I should prob have said that staying sober is as important as me getting sober in the first place.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Quitting drinking can potentially help with some of the other issues too Anxious. My diet was horrible while I was drinking too, so once I quit and started eating better things really improved significantly

Do your doctor give you any recommendations specific to the test? I think you know some of the obvious ones but just curious if you were given any suggestions.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Quitting drinking can potentially help with some of the other issues too Anxious. My diet was horrible while I was drinking too, so once I quit and started eating better things really improved significantly

Do your doctor give you any recommendations specific to the test? I think you know some of the obvious ones but just curious if you were given any suggestions.
my diet is great and I’ve lost 40lbs so hopefully being overweight will soon be in my past .
I haven’t got to talk to the doctor yet. Her receptionist called and literally had no idea what she was talking about other than to tell me to come back in 4-6 weeks.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Are you a smoker? I used to be a respiratory nurse and this was a common finding in our smokers.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
Are you a smoker? I used to be a respiratory nurse and this was a common finding in our smokers.
No I’m not a smoker, at all. But I do have a hormone imbalance and I have a sinking feeling they are related .