Notices

Is it acceptable to go to ER?

Old 01-03-2020, 01:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee for everything, I really do appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

No problem at all

D
Old 01-03-2020, 04:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great decision on ER. Starting the new year out on a healthy route!
Old 01-03-2020, 05:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Is it acceptable to go to ER?

Absolutely. That's what it is there for.

I went to ER after I'd been drinking. Unfortunately, I did this more than once because apparently I'm a slow learner.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Devious, please don’t feel silly. I went to the ER and it saved my life. No overnight stay, medically induced coma, etc. They will give you an IV and give you drugs to get you stable. I was sent home only two hours later with Librium and now I’m completely off those. With how much I was binging, I still can’t believe they “fixed”me in two hours. I thought I would be there for at least 2-3 days.

And don’t worry about the judgement. The ER has seen it all. They really don’t care. Their job is to fix whoever walks through that door.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hope you can check in and let us know how things went Devious, i've been to the ER more than once due to my drinking. I hope they are able to help and get you pointed in the right direction for local resources for help too.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Samantha

I hope everything went well there. That’s what they are there for! If you thought you needed to go, you probably did.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Any update Devious?
Old 01-03-2020, 07:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey all, so here's the update. The hospital basically didn't do much.

My friend took me there, got checked in, explained the situation and me having stomach pains. Doctor came in, she asked questions and what kind of caught me off guard was she said "Well I guess I'm trying to figure out what you want us to do". I explained I just need help, and that I've been having stomach pains and want not.

In the end they took a blood sample, urine sample.. and about an hour later came back saying liver enzymes are a tad high which is expected of someone who drinks. She said basically as for alcoholism there wasn't any kind of medication or anything they could do to help and suggested seeking outpatient treatment and sent me on my way.

We got home around 7:30am and fell asleep.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

so...will you be following her suggestion or....?
Old 01-03-2020, 07:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
so...will you be following her suggestion or....?
I am and will be, not drinking tonight and doing other stuff to keep busy.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you went and got a professional opinion that your pains were more or less normal for the situation and that you didnt need hospitalisation.

You sound a lot better too.

Follow up on the impatient thing - any help you can get is invaluable

D
Old 01-03-2020, 08:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'm glad you went, too. If you're ever that concerned, it's always best to get checked out by a medical professional.

For what it's worth, "What would you like us to do for you" is not at all an unusual question . I've heard it at least a few times when I presented at the ER. It's a respectful question, really. The physician isn't a mind reader, right? When faced with an intoxicated patient whose life isn't in imminent danger, there are choices - keep me here until I sober up, admit me to detox for a few days, send me home with detox meds (not an option at the hospitals I've been to), hook me up with a peer counselor who can help me figure out what to do next. And of course, if you have a specific concern, you want to say that too, which you did.

I'm glad you've stopped drinking and plan to make that call tomorrow.
Please make that call first thing, before you convince yourself it can wait til later.

O
Old 01-03-2020, 11:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
I'm glad you went, too. If you're ever that concerned, it's always best to get checked out by a medical professional.

For what it's worth, "What would you like us to do for you" is not at all an unusual question . I've heard it at least a few times when I presented at the ER. It's a respectful question, really. The physician isn't a mind reader, right? When faced with an intoxicated patient whose life isn't in imminent danger, there are choices - keep me here until I sober up, admit me to detox for a few days, send me home with detox meds (not an option at the hospitals I've been to), hook me up with a peer counselor who can help me figure out what to do next. And of course, if you have a specific concern, you want to say that too, which you did.

I'm glad you've stopped drinking and plan to make that call tomorrow.
Please make that call first thing, before you convince yourself it can wait til later.

O
Thanks, I can't help though but feel the doctor blew off my issues. My stomach pains, and what I think is poor circulation in my left foot... literally all that was done was a blood taken, urine taken and that was it. I was given no answers to my stomach pains or issues with my left food (discoloration when I sit, numbness, etc).
Old 01-04-2020, 12:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've found that GPs are more likely to give time to my issues.

The ER is by its nature a pretty fast moving place = but they are open late at night.

D
Old 01-04-2020, 05:58 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I've found that GPs are more likely to give time to my issues.

The ER is by its nature a pretty fast moving place = but they are open late at night.

D
I agree. You did the right thing by going to the ER if you were generally that worried. The good thing is that you are not in any imminent danger and finding that out will give you a better piece of mind and an “easier” shot at staying sober.

ER is there to save lives period. Thankfully, that isn’t the case for you. So don’t think you were blown off. See your GP and he/she will be able to dig a lot deeper into your issues.

In the end, you did the right thing.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

you will have a chance to go see your regular GP. good to know your tests showed nothing needing immediate attention. and some of these issues might well clear up once you have stopped drinking for a while.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:21 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!

went to the er once, detoxing bad, nurse said i wasnt the first and wont be the last. kept me in there for 5 days detoxing. but the doctor asked if i drove and said yes. so he got the ministry of transportation to suspend my licence. took me 6 months to get it back.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:01 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
went to the er once, detoxing bad, nurse said i wasnt the first and wont be the last. kept me in there for 5 days detoxing. but the doctor asked if i drove and said yes. so he got the ministry of transportation to suspend my licence. took me 6 months to get it back.

??? They can do that?!