Notices

Delirium Tremens

Old 11-10-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Delirium Tremens

I'm sure most of us have experienced DTs or, on their way to experiencing. It goes from mild to severe.

- Tremors/Seizures
- Hallucinations
- Rapid Heartbeats
- High Blood Pressure
- Sleeplessness
- Agitation
- Excitability
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurred Focus on both corners of eyes
- High Body Temperature

Don't quit cold turkey and make sure you eat enough food and ease yourself out of it.

It's likely you could weathered the storm but that doesn't mean you're in the clear because you'll be back to it again. I've managed to ease myself into sobriety without any troubles in the past.

But, I was stupid this time around and DT caught up to me. I quit cold turkey and did not eat nor sleep for three straight days.

I may have caused some damages to my own body because of alcohol abuse. I've been drinking excessively in the last three years but overall, it was ten long years of hard drinking.

Anybody have any experiences with DT they wish to share?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear you experienced that Joybot. I can't say for certain if I was experiencing actual DT's, but I ended up in the emergency room after quitting cold turkey twice. In either case, it's certainly a very good idea to consult with a doctor before quitting cold turkey for just about any drinker.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

After just having the shakes and sweats each time I stopped, I progressed into full delerium tremens when I stopped. Shaking so much I couldn't hold anything, wash, dress or walk. I had hallucinations and felt and saw spiders all over me, also heard a lot of things that weren't real. Vomiting and seizures and eventually cardiac arrest which they said was down to withdrawal. And I really didn't think I was as bad an alcoholic as others! It progressed quickly in the end which I was warned about, but you never think it will be that bad for you.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Joybot--I hope you are feeling better.

DTs effect men and women differently. I am a female. I had a terrible relapse after rehab. I didn't eat for about a week and a half and then consumed two bottles of wine.

I don't remember much. My friends came to my apartment after I didn't respond. They said I was foaming at the mouth and shaking (e.g. having seizures).

I advise anyone struggling with severe alcohol abuse to seek inpatient treatment. At the time, I was uninsured. I had an arsenal of friends who took time off of work to take care of me as I got better. If you have insurance, seek treatment.