Notices

Constant Depressing Cycle

Old 11-28-2004, 07:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Gosh Wokachick, you and I have been having the exact same thoughts! That's amazing to me, and it really makes me think. I hope both of us will find our way out of that terrible cycle. I've been wanting desperately to stop drinking. At least that's what I want about 95 percent of the time. The other 5 percent of the time is what is killing me. That decision to drink can just spring up on me, it seems like out of nowhere. Then all my planning to stay sober and thinking of how I'll do it goes out the window before I've really had a chance to even clear my head.
I've been reading some here in the past couple of weeks, and on another alchoholism forum, too. I see that the ones who are staying sober are the ones who are involved in a recovery program. I really, really don't want to do that. I just want to be normal, not drink but not make sobriety the central theme of my life, either. But it isn't working at all. Not even a little. So I've decided I'm just going to go ahead and go to AA, scary as that is to me, and work the program. I know there are other ways, but I don't have time to research them now. I need to get sober now. It's gotten to the point that I really can't function like this any more. I'm sick all the time. I hate it.
I've been sober before and remember how good it feels. I want that back.
Thanks,
Karen
Old 11-28-2004, 09:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi Karen
Good to read your post - welcome. I know how you feel, it seems like I have wanted to give up drinking...or at least be a NORMAL DRINKER...for years and years. I am 31 now and I just have had enough. I am also going to try AA tonight is my first meeitng...I had a few setbacks, etc etc but after the initial terrifying thought, I am really excited now. I will let you know how I get on. Mainly I am excited, because through this wonderful forum I have realised what my problem is! I am an alcoholic. That's why I can and could never keep my promises about driniking in 'moderation.' It's been a huge relief.
I am also so motivated and impressed by the people here who do AA...it seems like so much more than just staying away from alcohol, and I am ready to do that work.
In advance, you might want to read the AA resources available here...they really help.
Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on!
Cathy
x