Notices

Day 40 and the headaches.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 40 and the headaches.

Okay so I've made it to day 40. A few weeks back I had to have a colonoscopy which come back negative. But I had to have the strong laxitives which on the second sachet of klean-prep I became very weak and had muscle cramps in my right side of my forehead. I thought it was a mini stroke or something, but turned out to be dehydration. I suffer from Vitimin D deficiency which I am taking 1,000 ui a day supplement. But since I had that klean-prep stuff I been getting headaches. Sometimes stabbing in the same spot, but dullness that is often. On my right side of my head, but sometimes shifts over to my left side. I know I have slightly high blood pressure (I think from stress) and I saw my doctor last Tuesday, he said the headaches were probably from stress and didn't seem bothered by them (it went away for a bit after hearing that) but now they are back and it is driving me crazy. My balance seems slightly lost too. I just hope this is all part of the detox process.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Early sobriety is pretty stressful, that's for sure. I had headaches too. Are you spending a lot of time ruminating or worrying? I had to really work on that.

Lots of good nutritious food and plenty of water were helpful for me. So was a gentle walk outdoors daily and a good night's sleep.

I hope you feel better.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Early sobriety is pretty stressful, that's for sure. I had headaches too. Are you spending a lot of time ruminating or worrying? I had to really work on that.

Lots of good nutritious food and plenty of water were helpful for me. So was a gentle walk outdoors daily and a good night's sleep.

I hope you feel better.
I was diagnosed with ASD yesterday (I suspected it since high school), yes I spend a lot of time worrying and thinking. Talking does help, so I think it's probably stress and my body being out of whack. I suffer from anxiety which doesn't help either. I just really hope things get better, I'm not taking pain killers as I know what frequent use can do to your liver and stuff (my bloods had come back good, apart from the Vit D deficiency so I'm not going to try my luck).

I do wonder if I'm getting enough water in the day time and I do go for walks. I'm trying to cut salt out of diet as I know that can raise BP.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did have headaches but not for 40 days John.

You can always get a second opinion if you don't think your dr is taking the problem seriously.

D
Old 07-28-2019, 02:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I did have headaches but not for 40 days John.

You can always get a second opinion if you don't think your dr is taking the problem seriously.

D
I only started getting them after I had that klean-prep stuff (. The emergency department ruled out mini-stroke and put the right side forehead cramps down to dehydration). (I quit drinking on the 18th June and took the klean-prep stuff on the 13th July). I think I'm getting better, but it's just worrying. They get worse the more stressed I am. I will go back if things don't improve.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had headaches for 3 solid months after I quit drinking. I got them in the evenings right behind my eyes and in my temples. Nothing would help them, except sleep.

Alcohol is a hell of a drug and I drank for a long time.

I took the headaches as a sign of my body healing and rode them out. Today I can't even remember the last time I had a bad headache.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

40 days sounds like a very long time post quitting for the alcohol to still be causing headaches.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
40 days sounds like a very long time post quitting for the alcohol to still be causing headaches.
I think I need to change the title of this topic as I think I didn't explain properly that I haven't been getting headaches for 40 days, but since I had the klean-prep stuff.
​​​​​
Old 07-29-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow!! I woke up today and felt the best I have in ages!! I had a small little headache this morning, but other than that I'm guuuurrreatt (Tony the Tiger). Day 42 baby!! Although I'm annoyed for my mum leaving beer in the fridge because my brother and his GF came down yesterday, I'm simply going to ask them to get it out of my sight.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job on staying sober. For me I had the headaches for a couple weeks. It's a bitch and getting sober is no walk in the park, but worth it.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tc4ever View Post
Good job on staying sober. For me I had the headaches for a couple weeks. It's a bitch and getting sober is no walk in the park, but worth it.
The headaches are getting better, but I've been really stressed lately as I started a course last Tuesday that is really full on for me (One of the tutors is a recovering alcoholic of 12 years and she has been a good help for me), I don't know if I'll be able to complete it though. I'm on day 47 now.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck with the course John - if it helps I think most of us feel overwhelmed at the beginning of any kind of course

Glad the headaches are better

D
Old 08-04-2019, 02:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Good luck with the course John - if it helps I think most of us feel overwhelmed at the beginning of any kind of course

Glad the headaches are better

D
Thanks Dee. I know I'm going in the right direction with my recovery (Day 48 now), but I can only do my best with the course. It's just annoying that as someone with anxiety and ASD I find it hard to cope with stressful situations, I'm in a vunerable time right now. Drinking myself to oblivion was a full time job in itself, I never realised how hard it actually is to be an alcoholic whether actively using or in recovery.
As they say at the meetings "One day at a time".