Notices

Ringing in ears, terrible sleep

Old 07-11-2019, 02:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ringing in ears, terrible sleep

Has anyone here experienced a ringing in the ears after quitting drinking? It's more faint during the day (probably as I'm distracted), but especially after I have woken up in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning it is really noticeable and not very pleasant - it's hard to get back to sleep with it. Also, I'm sleeping terribly but that is pretty standard I know, especially on day 19
Old 07-11-2019, 03:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've always had tinnitus so I'm used to it.

No tips but it can be caused by a lot of things, including impacted ear wax apparently.

Hope it proves to be temporary Briansy

D
Old 07-11-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've had it most of my life too, partially from damage to my ears when very young the doctors think. Sometimes it pulses and other times just rings, but it's pretty much constant 24/7. I did notice it more after I quit drinking, but basically because i wasn't drunk all the time I think.

What's helped me most with it is the same things that have helped with my anxiety. Mindfulness, meditation, relaxation techniques, etc.

And yes, the insomnia lasted for many weeks for me. I dont think I really started sleeping through the night fully until at least a few months into being sober. But again it was related to my anxiety as well, not just quitting drinking.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you had a checkup and a recent hearing test? If it’s sudden onset, I would have it checked out.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have had ringing in my ears since I was a kid. From chronic ear infections to fighting to race cars, hearing loss has caused a lot of it.

Almost without exception, I fall asleep with ear buds in my ears listenting to an e-book or an ambient fan. Sometimes it's the TV, but something must always be on.

The insomnia was terrible for me. I still get it off and on. Exercise, and very little caffeine help a lot. I also take benedryl or unisom when I can't sleep. That helps a lot.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have had tinnitus for around 20 years or so now, largely from too many years of going to car races, shooting guns and listening to loud rock 'n roll and country music (out of Texas, of course, not Nashville).

I experience it daily.

I came unglued emotionally when I first discovered it, but I eventually just came to accept it.

I don't think about it too much.

But I do protect my hearing quite a bit.

I don't think that ear-ringing is a symptom of coming off of alcohol or drugs.

Good luck with the insomnia.

I have been taking non-addictive sleep medicine for 20 years which has helped me sleep fairly soundly.

My wife is out of town this week, so our schnauzer woke me up around 4:00 a.m. and I was unable to get back to sleep.

The dog may be getting a tiny bit of that medicine tonight.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I had it before I quit and it continues.....working on tapping it out...doesn't seem to work much, yet......
Old 07-11-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I probably did but other things like spatial distortion were bigger nuisances (and scary to think they might not go away).

Day 19 is great. Early. Great.

Keep going. We heal - and for me, I had a lot of healing to do and also knew I could only see what would be "real" once I had been sober awhile. Not fun and I'm not patient, but that's what it took.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ringing in your ears can be due to high blood pressure. Quitting cold turkey can cause a spike in blood pressure. Might want to get that checked out. Congrats on 19 days!