Notices

Six long hours of cravings

Old 06-29-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Six long hours of cravings

Today was a long day with cravings. I have 166 days. I did dishes, 3 loads of laundry. I went to lunch. I went out again for Italian ices. I didn't go to the arcade/bar outing my husband went too. So I was home and bored but the cravings started at 2pm and didn't end until around now? 8:30? I realize I don't have any close friends to call or family for that matter. That kinda sucked but I'm not ready to tackle that. I stalked the boards a lot, thanks guys! It helped!

Just ranting. I need something additional to fill the time with.

I put a lot of faith in the posts I read about the difference things are after a year. After 1.5 years. I've read some aha moments at those marks. I think about those in additional to all the immediate short time positive changes like not having hang overs and the money saved.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

wow 6 hours is a long time to struggle TE - is that something you have to do often?

D
Old 06-29-2019, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You should be proud of yourself for not giving in to the cravings.
Six hours is a long time, but you made it that is excellent.
I never had anyone to call when I first quit, either. Except the AA number, who put me in touch with someone who understood.

166 days is excellent, too. It wont be long before those cravings are a thing of the past.
I can't remember exactly when mine quit, but it's been ten and a half years since I've had a drink of alcohol so it's a little fuzzy.

You accomplished so much today. You took care of yourself. I don't think you can go wrong with your determination.
That's what I did. Put the energy I used to put into procuring, drinking or recovering from King alcohol into taking care of myself.

Best to you, you're doing great. Keep it up, it is so worth it.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Thanks Ghostlight!

Its not normal to go on this long. Usually maybe an hour or once I do a distraction-I'm back on track. Today the AV just wanted to win so badly I guess.

Well I won, so boo hoo to you AV!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ghost light is right. You did well today. 166 days is still tough, but it gets way better in just a matter of months.

I remember days like that, when all day long I craved. Sometimes I had a gritty refusal to call them cravings (because I had a fear of getting close to drinking) so it would come out as unease, boredom, the slight nagging feeling of anxiety...
That stuff just takes a while but YES! It does eventually go. I was in really good shape by 18 months but it had gotten way better at the year mark, and even 7,8,9 months I had more good days than “bad.” I put quotations around that because there is no sober day, even the day that my dad suddenly died 16 months into my sobriety that can ever be as bad as a drinking day. It was traumatic and terrible when I lost my dad, but on that day my dignity was still intact. I had terrible sorrow. Gut wrenching and awful. But I was at peace with myself.

“Bad” days are all relative. And I get the sense with your post that despite six hours of craving you felt at peace with your sobriety that day. Otherwise you wouldn’t have waited that out. I get the sense that you know deep in your heart that sobriety is right for you. The work you put in during these months will reward you ten fold, but in a way you least expected. Spiritual peace is a difficult thing to describe.

I’m glad SR brought you some relief! SR has held my hand for almost two years. It’s been an enormous blessing for me.

Those days will get fewer and fewer between. I promise.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

yes congrats TE

D
Old 06-29-2019, 09:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
Thanks Ghostlight!

Its not normal to go on this long. Usually maybe an hour or once I do a distraction-I'm back on track. Today the AV just wanted to win so badly I guess.

Well I won, so boo hoo to you AV!
You're very welcome.
I'm glad my post made some sense to you.
I'm proud of you, I know that.
I remember those days, and man were they rough.
I came here, I went to AA and I white knuckled it.
What staying sassy says is true, too. This place is full of good advice, that's why I've never left. I'm one drink away from a drunk and I know that.
I get a lot out of posts like yours. It reminds of how it was. And I never want to forget it.

Boo Hoo that AV. You won. And you'll win again tomorrow.
Best to you, and thanks.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done for fighting it out. That shows real character.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Tornrealization, 166 days is so FANTASTIC, congratulations. Made it through 6 hours of cravings, powerful. That AV is one sneaky SOB. This made me think about all the mental anguish I went through and now on the 10th of July, 9 years sober. You'll make, rootin for ya.