Notices

five years ago today

Old 06-25-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

five years ago today

Today I celebrate five years without a drink. Not even a sip. I never relapsed after drinking for 42 years! However, I still feel lost and lonely at times. I'm not the same person anymore. Drinking was a huge part of my life. I loved to be with family and friends, always drinking, of course! Now I spend a lot of time at home. Reading has been a life saver for me. I'll go to functions and celebrate holidays with my family but I'd rather be home. My husband and daughters have been so supportive and I truly appreciate that. Don't know how they put up with me. Is there anyone out there who feels like this? I am looking forward to feedback. I will not drink today! Thanks for letting me rant!
Old 06-25-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five years sober! The best way I know to shore up my sobriety is to practice gratitude every day. Give it a try.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well done

rebuilding a life, after so many year of boozing..that is me too...it takes times, I get the lonely bit
Old 06-25-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pastafarian

Funny, I just posted on my own thread a few days ago about a company outing, to a bar on the lake, to celebrate some accomplishment of mine. Ordinarily I'd love that. Drinking free drinks on the lake while being praised for my work. Instead I made excuses and stayed at the office working. I'd rather work than sit there at the lake, bored out of my mind, with nothing to say.

When I first quit drinking I was on again off again. When I'd come home sober, my kids would say, "Whats wrong? Did you have a bad day?" I guess I'm just a dull boring guy when I'm not drinking and they were used to the gregarious fun dad.

I'd rather be bored and boring than drunk.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congratulations Doreent! I agree that life definitely changes after quitting. But in my experience even a bad day sober beats a good day when I was drinking.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Doreen and congrats on 5 years

There's nothing wrong with staying at home...unless you don't enjoy that.

Like others have said I had to rebuild my life cos by the end my friends were all the same kinds of drinker I was - I reconnected with old friends who my drinking had pushed away, I pursued hobbies and interests and did some volunteering and met new friends.

We live the life we build I think?
D
Old 06-25-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! I feel better already. I do thank God everyday and never forget how lucky I am. I'm happy to know I'm not alone in feeling this way. I want to start taking control of my life and get out of this mindset. Your support is appreciated. I joined SR five years ago and this is only the second time I reached out. Can't do it alone.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doreent View Post
Today I celebrate five years without a drink. Not even a sip. I never relapsed after drinking for 42 years! However, I still feel lost and lonely at times. I'm not the same person anymore. Drinking was a huge part of my life. I loved to be with family and friends, always drinking, of course! Now I spend a lot of time at home. Reading has been a life saver for me. I'll go to functions and celebrate holidays with my family but I'd rather be home. My husband and daughters have been so supportive and I truly appreciate that. Don't know how they put up with me. Is there anyone out there who feels like this? I am looking forward to feedback. I will not drink today! Thanks for letting me rant!
I feel exactly this way. My introversion has become more intense. Still, I do enjoy talking with people at work, I love to go bouldering at the gym, and hang with family just shopping or making dinner, discussing the news, gardening. It’s quieter and I do enjoy being at home, but I think once the cravings have passed its good to figure out what you enjoy, socially.

I’ve discovered that I like going out if there’s something for me to do. I don’t like sitting around drinking. I’m actually going to two bar events this summer...to sing with my husbands band! The bar part is a non issue, the fact that I have something fun to do? Priceless.

It’s just not about drinking any more, and once the obsession lifts, it can be about life, and what life means to you.

Congratulations on five years, and on keeping and loving that supportive family of yours. I consider my family one of my accomplishments. They’re still with me because I made sobriety a priority. Without sobriety, I have nothing.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Five years is a long time.

You have a lot to offer to others here. I would certainly be interested in learning from you what you did to stay sober. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I began to drink at age 15. It seemed harmless enough. Only weekends at first. Progressed to every other day in my twenties and thirties. I was a functioning alcoholic. Worked, involved mom, cooked, cleaned, etc. My daughters were too young to understand how often and how much I drank. It was part of life. Drank one day, hangover the next 🙄. In my forties i was pretty much drinking every day. I always worked and took care of my family and home. I still thought this is fine, it's my lifestyle. My friends and family drank as well. It was fun! As I approached my fifties I knew this was not normal. Every morning I would tell myself I'm not drinking today! I was at the liquor store by 3:00 that afternoon or would stop at a bar for a couple wines before going home. My husband worked long hours so I had plenty of time to throw back a few. I'd always have wine in the fridge and a bottle of brandy on hand. My wine glass was always full. I hid the brandy and snuck shots in between. In the back of my mind, i knew this was wrong and sick! I didn't want to be the old lady sitting alone at the bar. It was pathetic. My daughters brought it up to me a few times when they came to visit. Now I had to sneak from them too but they didn't let up and i knew it was time to face it. I didn't want to cause I knew there would be no going back. The cat was out of the bag! My eldest is in the mental health field so she arranged for me to go to rehab. I was willing. Stayed one night only. They recommended intensive out patient care which I did for six weeks and went to meetings. Took naltrexone for cravings for three months. It really helped me. Three months into recovery my youngest daughter had seriously health issues and needed me. We were in and out of doctors office. Made many trips to the ER. (I'm not going to go into her personal life but she is healthy and thriving again!) This went on for over a year. During that time it occurred to me that if I was still drinking, I would not have been there for her. I couldn't possibly be. So not drinking became a must for me. I never touched it again. My relationship with my daughters has never been better. BTW my husband knew I had to take the first step, he couldn't do it for me. God bless my family! AAJP that's how I did it 😊