Notices

I'm frustrated with life

Old 04-29-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry I'm frustrated with life

I'm 28 years old and still live at home with my mom. Ever since I was 13 I've just never been very good at winning. I was always the kid that was picked on, that got picked last for the basketball theme, that never got the girl. Now i'm 28 and not much has changed, life is frustrating. I hate the job i'm at now, it's extremely stressful and I don't get enough money, I've been trying very hard to get a job as a server at a restaurant. But I keep getting turned down left to right because I have no experience. I've had 3 interviews so far and they all went horrible. The 2nd one the girl just looked over my application and said she would call me.

Today I had an interview at a restaurant called PF Chang's. I was a little nervous because I was going to be interviewing with a man, being a man myself, I find male interviewers more practical and less sympathetic, which is why I don't prefer them, and I was pretty much spot on. This man gave off a very corporate vibe, I think he was the head restaurant manager. He kept bringing up the fact that I had no experience but was mostly bothered by the fact that I didn't know the menu very well. He made me feel very stupid to be honest, although that wasn't his intention, if he was so bothered by me not having experience, he should not have invited me to the interview, and it seemed like he didn't really go over my resume at all until he started interviewing me. The restaurant is 10 miles away from home, and i'm trying to save up as much money as I can, so no I can't afford to eat there every single week, I only spend money on bills and essentials after I stopped drinking. I feel it was a bit unrealistic for him to expect me to be an expert with the menu by visiting every week, I understand from a business point of view, but this is what I mean when I say I feel male interviewers can be too practical and unrealistic. They forget the human and emotional aspect of business. Same thing happened when I interviewed at foot locker 8 years ago. The guy interviewing me expected me to be someone who bought $100 pairs of shoes often.

He seemed to make his decision before we sat down so the interview was very uncomfortable, telling me I was his 13th interview of the day and i'm greatly heartbroken that these people don't think i'm good enough. I've put in applications to almost every restaurant I know along the bus route(because I take the bus)and this was the last and only place to call me back. I feel like i'm stuck in life, my job position, where I live, my financial and relationship status. Apparently i'm not very likable, respected or useful because I can't seem to get the job or relationships that I want out of life. I barely get any respect or recognition at the job i'm at now. Most nights before I go to bed, I think about death, not actually wanting to die, but just about death itself, how one day I will die. I don't believe in an afterlife, so I believe an eternity of nothingness is awaiting me. I'm not even here on this earth for that long, and i'm not even living the life I want to live. It just feels like nothing is happening with my life, I have no friends, no girlfriend or wife, I don't feel inspired, valued or respected at my job, I rarely spend any money on myself because I barely make any money. Why am I here on this earth?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nez

Why am I here on this earth?
Because we all need each other. We all have lessons to teach each other. We may not know or even be aware of the lessons that we are to teach each other, but they doesn't negate their existence.

It is my responsibility to be open and receptive to the lessons you have to teach me so that I might receive them. Be open and receptive to the lessons coming your way. Don't be hampered in your efforts by your preconceived ideas of what you think you already know.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Is more education an option for you? Might give you some skills for the job market.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Is more education an option for you? Might give you some skills for the job market.
I think I have enough credits for an associates degree in health science, I just have been so busy with work and job hunting to look into what I have to do to get it. I'm finishing up 2 classes next week, and I think I have to fill out some application and give it to the college to get the degree.

Originally I was going to go into the nursing program, but last year when I was accepted, I had to put down a $500 deposit, also I had to get all my immunizations which would of totaled up to over $500, all in a months time to save my spot. I passed on it to save up some more money because that would of left me broke. From working in customer service, i'm starting to realize i'm just not very good with people, so maybe nursing isn't the best job for me. People think i'm nice but i've never been popular and I don't feel they respect me. I've been considering looking into microbiology or maybe a marketing researcher.

Right now i'm working as a restaurant host, I have 2 years experience in that, yet I can't get a job waiting tables, making more money, despite the fact that alot of what we do as hosts is technically serving. We clean tables, occasionally refill drinks, get things for guests, suggest menu items. We just don't get any credit for it.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but
was mostly bothered by the fact that I didn't know the menu very well
Having conducted countless interviews during my 40 years in the restaurant business, what he was probably was looking for was how familiar you are with what PF Chang's is about. How much research into their operation had you done. Are you looking to work at PF Chang's or are you merely looking for a job. How much initiative and ownership did you take in the hiring process. Not judging you at all, just trying to offer some insight from the other side of the table so that you can be better prepared next time.

Before interviewing at a restaurant, study and learn about the menu, which can be done without eating there. You don't have to know it backwards and forward, but what cuisine, roughly how apps, entrees, desserts, basic ingredients and method of preparation (saute, grill, etc) etc. Learn what days of the week and hours are they open. Familiarize yourself with their prices. Try to get an idea of their clientele. The more you know before you walk into the interview, the better.

FWIW, I hire according to attitude, not according to experience. I have encountered tons of people for whom experience was a detriment. They already knew everything!!! Trying to unteach people, is not worth the effort. :~)
Old 04-29-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A good deal of an interview centers around establishing a rapport with the person who is giving you their time and consideration. If you run the dialogue through demonstrating that you know about and have real interest in making both the firm and yourself successful, you have to be prepared to explain how that is going to come to be. I would stress how your experience informs you how the customer is experiencing all levels of their time in the setting (a restaurant), and why you would be good at making sure that happens at the point of service (the table). Have you volunteered at your current place of employment to stand in as a server when somebody cannot make a shift? It would be a start at getting some experience on your resume and to give you anecdotes to share in an interview of how you 1) are proficient enough; and 2) how you may have handled a difficult customer. Brush up on your can-do attitude when entering an interview as opposed to feeling that you are beaten from the start.

How is it going with not drinking? Whatever happens, don't let yourself fall back into that trap! The food and beverage service industry has good opportunities for a dependable and sober employee.

I'm sure that things can feel dark at times, I know what it is like to feel like the odd person out. Your value is not determined by what others think about you from your appearances or your background but by how you comport yourself and demonstrate your qualities in action. You have quit drinking, and that is a very commendable thing that people here value of you. Here you are not an outsider looking in but an informed man that can share and can learn to grow in many ways.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but
Having conducted countless interviews during my 40 years in the restaurant business, what he was probably was looking for was how familiar you are with what PF Chang's is about. How much research into their operation had you done. Are you looking to work at PF Chang's or are you merely looking for a job. How much initiative and ownership did you take in the hiring process. Not judging you at all, just trying to offer some insight from the other side of the table so that you can be better prepared next time.

Before interviewing at a restaurant, study and learn about the menu, which can be done without eating there. You don't have to know it backwards and forward, but what cuisine, roughly how apps, entrees, desserts, basic ingredients and method of preparation (saute, grill, etc) etc. Learn what days of the week and hours are they open. Familiarize yourself with their prices. Try to get an idea of their clientele. The more you know before you walk into the interview, the better.

FWIW, I hire according to attitude, not according to experience. I have encountered tons of people for whom experience was a detriment. They already knew everything!!! Trying to unteach people, is not worth the effort. :~)
Well, I guess you could say merely a job, a serving job. I'm in no position to be choosy about where I work. I do make of habit of looking at restaurant menus simply out of curiosity, i'm a big foodie. However; i'm very picky about restaurants in general and unless I see something extremely creative and rare, the menu wont stand out. PF Chang's menu has typical Asian cuisine, the manager interviewing me said alot of stuff is made in house, and how he didn't know what Asian cuisine was until he started working there, but that's nothing new. Everyone wants to promote their restaurant as unique and more authentic. Just from glancing at the menu honestly nothing really stands out. Not saying that it's bad, but I could find similar dishes at other restaurants. Then again i've never tried the food so I can't properly judge it off looks and descriptions alone.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

The point is to know about the business that you are applyng to.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Why am I here on this earth? "

FWIW, you're a good writer.

Perhaps explore that.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Definitely highlight the experience you have as a host in your interviews.. I'm not saying it was the right or ethical thing to do, but I got my first serving job many years ago by embellishing (to the point of basically lying) about the experience I did have. Look for places with a "theme" or different way of doing things as they often don't like hiring people with tons of experience so they can mold you from the start. Always do your research on the food and history of the place first so you're ready to give them the lines they're looking for and can anticipate some of the questions they'll ask about the menu (including drinks). It's just the knowledge they want you to have, you don't actually have to spend money there as a customer.

I've grown to kind of hate the restaurant and bar industry at this point but it can be a legit way of supporting yourself, so that's my advice on that.. Or, could you save up for a car from what you make in your current job and then get a delivery position somewhere? Less hassle and interaction with customers that way.

Good luck and keep trying.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post
Definitely highlight the experience you have as a host in your interviews.. I'm not saying it was the right or ethical thing to do, but I got my first serving job many years ago by embellishing (to the point of basically lying) about the experience I did have. Look for places with a "theme" or different way of doing things as they often don't like hiring people with tons of experience so they can mold you from the start. Always do your research on the food and history of the place first so you're ready to give them the lines they're looking for and can anticipate some of the questions they'll ask about the menu (including drinks). It's just the knowledge they want you to have, you don't actually have to spend money there as a customer.

I've grown to kind of hate the restaurant and bar industry at this point but it can be a legit way of supporting yourself, so that's my advice on that.. Or, could you save up for a car from what you make in your current job and then get a delivery position somewhere? Less hassle and interaction with customers that way.

Good luck and keep trying.
I agree with you on hating the restaurant and bar industry lol. 3 years ago I promised myself that I would never return to the restaurant business and here I am working at a restaurant again. I'll probably try some less corporate places that have a more laid back culture. They tend not to be so picky about who they hire.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Can I ask your approach to job applications?

Here is something I learned from working in several fields including entry level service industry:

1) Apply everywhere
2) You are the prize

And number one is super important. I applied to over 100 companies before getting my first job in my new industry. Some people got a job after ONE

That's not me. I grind to get what I want.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
Can I ask your approach to job applications?

Here is something I learned from working in several fields including entry level service industry:

1) Apply everywhere
2) You are the prize

And number one is super important. I applied to over 100 companies before getting my first job in my new industry. Some people got a job after ONE

That's not me. I grind to get what I want.
Wow, that's alot of companies. I mostly just use indeed.com when looking for jobs. It's alot harder without a car because I can only apply to certain places that aren't very far, and I don't live in a big city. I live in myrtle beach. As to why I won't buy a car, right now that would mean a huge financial investment and my mother and I are trying to move at the end of the summer.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YoungHyde25 View Post
I agree with you on hating the restaurant and bar industry lol. 3 years ago I promised myself that I would never return to the restaurant business and here I am working at a restaurant again. I'll probably try some less corporate places that have a more laid back culture. They tend not to be so picky about who they hire.
I started out in really corporate environments but now definitely prefer working for privately owned places. Corporate can feel like unless you’re prepared to act like there’s nothing in the world you’d rather be doing than working for the company until you do in fact die, it’s best not to even apply, lol.

Also I hadn’t read nez’s post before posting mine, but that is all great advice for this industry.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YoungHyde25 View Post
the manager interviewing me said alot of stuff is made in house, and how he didn't know what Asian cuisine was until he started working there, but that's nothing new.
nez is right and I say all of this kindly and hopefully it will be helpful.

You don't have to know everything to get a job, people want people who are interested and interesting!

For instance, when he mentioned that many of the items on the menu were made in-house, did you ask about that? "Oh really, I didn't know that, what are some of the ones that are made in-house"?

It shows you actually care and might be interested in learning more.

Frankly you don't sound very interested and maybe it's time to look at other options. Do you like being around people all the time? If not, a more solitary position might be better.

As for your social life, what interests you? Have to looked at meet-up groups at all? If you are near a big center or live in one there are tons of groups to join. If you want friends - you have to put yourself out there in the world.

Hope this is a little helpful, I wish you luck in your job search.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry to keep posting I just feel I should clarify I was joking with my comment about corporate environments, but really if you go into it with the attitude that there's nowhere you'd rather be... learn as much as possible about the company beforehand, be enthusiastic and excited, let them know you're not just looking for something short term you want to commit to and grow with them.. that's basically what will get you hired.

You're not looking for a sympathetic interviewer, you want them to see you as competent and willing to learn.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
nez is right and I say all of this kindly and hopefully it will be helpful.

You don't have to know everything to get a job, people want people who are interested and interesting!

For instance, when he mentioned that many of the items on the menu were made in-house, did you ask about that? "Oh really, I didn't know that, what are some of the ones that are made in-house"?

It shows you actually care and might be interested in learning more.

Frankly you don't sound very interested and maybe it's time to look at other options. Do you like being around people all the time? If not, a more solitary position might be better.

As for your social life, what interests you? Have to looked at meet-up groups at all? If you are near a big center or live in one there are tons of groups to join. If you want friends - you have to put yourself out there in the world.

Hope this is a little helpful, I wish you luck in your job search.
I'm a very honest and direct person, this is probably why people aren't my strong suit. I like to be direct and straight to the point. When the manager said alot of things were made in-house, I didn't find this particularly interesting because this is the norm for most restaurants. I already assumed this to be true before he told me. If money weren't an issue, I would probably travel the world reviewing foods. I watch alot of food review shows, follow a lot of professional chefs and their cooking techniques and I study alot of different cuisines from different cultures. Food is a really big deal to me, so it takes something very bizarre and creative to wow me. The manager claims PF Chang's food is authentic Asian dishes, after doing some research I just don't find this to be the case. The Menu just didn't wow me, it was an american version of Asian Cuisine, which is fine but nothing out of the ordinary.

But I am realizing i might be the happiest when i'm working by myself, so perhaps serving just isn't for me. I just wanted to try something different and I liked the idea of being able to directly contribute to a guest's experience. Gives my job some purpose if i'm making people happy. Working as a host I feel i'm doing the opposite because the servers sometimes make us feel bad when we seat them. Where I work at the managers schedule too many large reservations and the servers get exhausted, yet we are told to continue seating them and they take their frustrations out on us. It's very emotionally draining for someone like me who is very sensitive and feels guilty very easily.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You have a delicate problem. You're really really smart.

An I think there's a large part of you that resents having to go to these interviews and go through all of this bulls#it just to get turned down or get told you didn't have enough experience to write down an order and take it to a cook. Or to greet and serve or seat people. A job, a well trained f'ing monkey could do.
You're not applying for rocket science. I get your frustration.

So here's the way it goes. You need money. Probably badly. In the end, you probably can't afford to be picky right now.

Find the bigger purpose later. You're really young and it might take you some time to figure out what really blows your hair back.

Try an employment agency. They're all over. My wife worked for one when she was in grad school, and I got dozens of my friends jobs they were and weren't qualified to do. Try a lot of different things.

Right now, this has to be first. Figure out the basics and then look at the bigger picture.

I have a very dear friend of mine who's a director and he said he started making movies because he was too dumb to be a rocket scientist and too smart to work at a convenience store. This is what made him happy. You just haven't found what that is yet.

Things will make a lot more sense if you put some time under your belt. To me, it sounds a lot like the late 20s panic we all get. Don't worry, there's still time.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful

The next time you put in your resume do some exhaustive research online about the company you have submitted your resume to. For example PF Chang, you could have searched online and gone over their menu to familiarize yourself with it. Give it a try next time. Just knowing a bit more about the company might give yourself a bit of confidence walking into the interview.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

If you're truly passionate about something in life, you need to go for it! I worked some menial jobs to help put me thru college. I graduated with a degree is Mass Communications as I wanted a career in the radio industry. I started working at a small market radio station and really enjoyed it. However, my true passion was music research. There's really only one company in the world doing such research and I was a customer of their books for many years. Due to a change of ownership, I left the radio station and wrote to the research company hoping that they would hire me. That was in March of 1992 and I've been at that company ever since! Some might call it luck, but I call it passion for my work. In fact, I really don't consider it "work" at all. Stop making excuses, find something you're passionate about and find a way to do it!