Notices

I'm frustrated with life

Old 04-30-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but
Having conducted countless interviews during my 40 years in the restaurant business, what he was probably was looking for was how familiar you are with what PF Chang's is about. How much research into their operation had you done. Are you looking to work at PF Chang's or are you merely looking for a job. How much initiative and ownership did you take in the hiring process. Not judging you at all, just trying to offer some insight from the other side of the table so that you can be better prepared next time.

Before interviewing at a restaurant, study and learn about the menu, which can be done without eating there. You don't have to know it backwards and forward, but what cuisine, roughly how apps, entrees, desserts, basic ingredients and method of preparation (saute, grill, etc) etc. Learn what days of the week and hours are they open. Familiarize yourself with their prices. Try to get an idea of their clientele. The more you know before you walk into the interview, the better.

FWIW, I hire according to attitude, not according to experience. I have encountered tons of people for whom experience was a detriment. They already knew everything!!! Trying to unteach people, is not worth the effort. :~)
Just commenting on this part, too, YH - agree completely. As someone in the industry for 10 yr, on the server/bartender end, while expectations from anyone hiring vary - you went to a VERY corporate restaurant and hit on all the things that I would have been looking for, or prepared to show. That doesn't mean you are a failure- it does mean that I'd do things differently next time.

Also, IMO and very much experience, some parts/places in the restaurant world are tougher than others. Corporate chains being my LEAST favorite places to work. A server job can indeed be a life saver when we need money and are figuring things out - and the right place is really critical. My advice here is to try again, at a smaller/independently owned place. Another reason being that interview fatigue is real and you will likely not be the dozen-th plus candidate everywhere.

Probably more importantly:
I lived with my parents several times in my 30s. I didn't quit drinking til I was 39 1/2 and it was a close call if I could afford to stay on my own then (sidenote: I went back to work at a fast food job before going back to serving- THAT was humbling for sure). You're not a failure and getting sober AND learning who we can be in this life is a great project, if you will. You CAN do this - and lots of us (even older than you) get the feelings of what have I done to show for anything etc.

Glad you are here.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

//Is more education an option for you? Might give you some skills for the job market.//

How does one go to school when one has little money in a country where education is a commodity?
Old 04-30-2019, 02:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YoungHyde25 View Post
I'm a very honest and direct person, this is probably why people aren't my strong suit. I like to be direct and straight to the point.
You are probably completely right here, you know yourself best.

You have a big passion for food, sometimes you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. While you are hosting or serving food maybe you could be studying as well (I mean formal studying).

When you work at a job that is less than - gratifying, two things really help. The first is to be the best at it. You can't help the servers where you work, that's a fact, you have to do your job. So focus back on the customers, that's your job. Be the best host you can be. Perhaps you can work to become a server where you currently work.

Second, time away from work, if you are a socialite, how about starting something like a youtube channel to share your knowledge of food? How about doing local reviews on your channel to start, sharing some cooking methods (as in actually making a video showing a cooking skill you have picked up).

10 followers or 10k, doesn't matter, you will be doing something you like and honing your communication skills, those will be used often.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
//Is more education an option for you? Might give you some skills for the job market.//

How does one go to school when one has little money in a country where education is a commodity?
Scholarships, student loans, government programs/skill training?
Old 04-30-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So you get lucky with a scholarship or put yourself into crippling debt?
Old 04-30-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
So you get lucky with a scholarship or put yourself into crippling debt?
Yes that's correct.

Maybe not a good system, but it is what it is. Most jurisdictions should have skill training/upgrading for people who earn less than X dollars. It's worth looking in to.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You’re a writer, you don’t even know it.