Notices

Antidepressants and Recovery

Old 04-28-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antidepressants and Recovery

I quit alcohol about a year ago, but ever since I have been having trouble with my Effexor. I spent about a year basically having all the classic withdrawal symptoms even though I never changed my dose.

So my doctor and I stepped my dose down by 1/4, three weeks later, I'm still shaking, finding it difficult to move due to the lack of balance and dizziness, and I'm still tried, achy, and feeling disoriented and foggy. I don't know what to do. If I take the medicine I have terrible symptoms of withdrawal (even if I'm not changing the dose) and if I come down slowly off the medicine, I'm still have withdrawal symptoms. No matter what I do, I feel miserable and it's making it difficult to work and socialize. Has anyone had issues like this in the past?
Old 04-28-2019, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm no doctor so this is not medical advice but I have read about this with Effexor and have read that many doctors will prescribe a different anti-depressant/other drugs to counteract the withdrawal, as effexor is very addictive and some struggle with coming off it.

Now this is obviously not the problem you are encountering as you are not trying to discontinue it, but the withdrawals can be quite bad for some (as is the case for you).

My personal opinion? I would ask to be referred to a psychiatrist right away. They will have more knowledge about these drugs.

There is no reason for you to continue to suffer with this.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As Trailmix said, definitely see a dr. regarding medication because if what you are having are side effects then I would think changing meds would be good. Also blood tests to see what else might be going on.

I am currently coming out of a bout with bppv (Vertigo) and boy your symptoms sure do line up. I mean, lightheaded is one thing, but dizziness is another. If you are seeing a medical dr ask them to check for vertigo....you can actually do it at home (see online) but if you've never been diagnosed best to do it with a dr. or physical therapist. A PT (and I think many drs nowadays) can perform re positioning maneuvers that work wonders. I do the Epley maneuver at home...I self diagnose to check which ear is effected. I know what it is because I've had it before. Anyway, worth checking out with your PT.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I concur with Trailmix, although I classify a lot of psych meds as causing dependency rather than addiction. People don't rob liquor stores for Paxil, but coming off that medication can be difficult.

I'd imagine that a good psychiatrist could indeed switch you to another medication, as I understand that Effexor is a tough one to taper and has also been dubbed "side-effexor." You may still get some benefit from antidepressant therapy, and certainly a good psychiatrist can design a proper transition and/or taper. Go see one. General practitioners usually don't have the training to deal with psychiatric medications, as finding the proper drug(s) is as much of an art as science.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I concur with the advice to see a/your psychiatrist as soon as possible for the best care in dealing with your described distress.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, that sounds nasty.
I'd be very assertive and insist your doc do something for you.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I concur with Trailmix, although I classify a lot of psych meds as causing dependency rather than addiction. People don't rob liquor stores for Paxil, but coming off that medication can be difficult.
Are you sure about the Paxil MindfulMan! lol

Thanks for this actually, I did mean dependency, not addiction. So used to speaking of addiction here I suppose.