Notices

I need some advise

Old 04-03-2019, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need some advise

Since I got clean, I learned to protect my sobriety even if it meant saying NO.

So everyone here knows my dad has severe tremors in his body that he refuses to treat. He says they don't bother him so it shouldn't bother anyone else.

It does bother me. It looks terribly uncomfortable and it looks exhausting. I have a 50/50 shot at inheriting it. However, it CAN be treated with medication, and it can be fixed for those who don't want to go the medication route with very minor brain surgery. Almost being done as an outpatient procedure nowadays. Still, he refuses treatment.

So fine. Whatever. I've made my feelings known, and I've told him I'm distancing myself from visits because I can't stand watching it anymore. He isn't holding it against me...he says he understands.

Friday is my birthday. I'm gonna be passing his house to go to dinner with my family. He wants me to stop by and help him change some light bulbs, etc...no biggie. I told him after that, I would give him a hug and thank him for the kind wishes, but I wasn't gonna hang around.

Why? It tears me up for days at a time-Everytime I have to see him. I hate it. An I feel really bad about feeling like that.

The s#it part about it is, I can't even relate any of this to my other family members because nobody has seen him for 8 plus years except my mother....an I can't stand her.

I've spent a large part of my life being "strong" for people. I drank like a fish and was like a rock to my friends and family. I'm not trying to say that I'm this all sacrificing unselfish character that has done and done for others at my own expense, but when I got clean I learned that if I was going to stay sober, I had to be like iron at times.

Whether people understood or not, if something threatened my sobriety, it had to go. That's it. So that's why I've thrown distance there. It's one of the very few things that really mess with me.

I don't give a s#it about many people. My dad is someone who shielded me from a lot of abuse when he could. I feel terrible for having to put up a wall there, but I won't watch him suffer.

I just don't know how not to feel bad about it.

thank for listening.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Hi BD - sorry you are going thru this. In a way your Dad sounds like an alcoholic in that he doesn’t seem to be accepting he has a problem and is unwilling to do something about it. Sure he understands why you are keeping a distance, but to him that’s better than having ppl around him and pointing out what he isn’t accepting. And if that’s the case, as you know, accepting treatment need to come from within him.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno BD if it was me I'd try very hard to accept that sometimes people won't do what we want...even when there's clear reasons to do so.

People need the freedom to do what they want, even if we think it wrong.

God knows I used and abused that freedom long enough.

I just figure one day (pretty soon in the scheme of things) my dad won't be there at all and I want to see him, and my mum, as much as possible even tho they both drive me up the wall sometimes.

I'm probably coming at it from a completely different angle than you but thats my .02.

D
Old 04-03-2019, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I dunno BD if it was me I'd try very hard to accept that sometimes people won't do what we want...even when there's clear reasons to do so.

People need the freedom to do what they want, even if we think it wrong.

God knows I used and abused that freedom long enough.

I just figure one day (pretty soon in the scheme of things) my dad won't be there at all and I want to see him, and my mum, as much as possible even tho they both drive me up the wall sometimes.

I'm probably coming at it from a completely different angle than you but thats my .02.

D
I've seen a fair share of people die in front of me in my life time. I've seen a few suffer horrific deaths. I've seen disease destroy a few.

I can honestly say this with no hesitation, I really wished I had not been there when they had been at their worst or been with them as they died.

In no way, was me getting to say goodbye to someone who was suffering or near death a therapeutic thing for me - at all.

I didn't want those memories and I don't want these with my father.
I know what it turns in to.

It's hard to explain this to people. When you watch someone take their last breaths, or suffer-these aren't the memories you want to remember.

I don't want to remember my father as this frail suffering old man who can't dress or feed himself anymore.

Any more than I wanted my daughter to watch me being hooked up to a bunch of machines to keep me alive when I was detoxing. I told my wife she was not allowed to visit, or see me ...even if I had died. I've been where she was....she shouldn't have those memories.

So, I dunno Dee...maybe I'm being an a$$hole...but I'm gonna be a sober a$$hole. Hanging around my old stomping grounds is just a recipe for disaster if I stay too long.

So...I guess I answered my own question. What matters more? A few more sad, pathetic memories I'll want to forget anyway or be like iron and pick me.

I pick me.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The hardest part of recovery is acceptance. That others have the right to do as they want no matter what we think. It's a good idea to ask what your motive is in avoiding him. Big hug!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vinificent View Post
Hi BD - sorry you are going thru this. In a way your Dad sounds like an alcoholic in that he doesn’t seem to be accepting he has a problem and is unwilling to do something about it. Sure he understands why you are keeping a distance, but to him that’s better than having ppl around him and pointing out what he isn’t accepting.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

If he's willing to put his wife and those who love him through this BS, then why should I enable that??
Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
The hardest part of recovery is acceptance. That others have the right to do as they want no matter what we think. It's a good idea to ask what your motive is in avoiding him. Big hug!
That's true but I wonder if it's a double edged sword. I can choose to accept that this is the way the relationship has to be for my own mental health. Not that I have to be a part of watching his decline when there are things he can do to improve the quality of life.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey BD like I said - I'm likely coming from a different direction to yourself.
If I helped you make a decision, then so much the better.

Go gently man

D
Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey BD like I said - I'm likely coming from a different direction to yourself.
If I helped you make a decision, then so much the better.

Go gently man

D
thanks brother.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Look out for yourself.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Look out for yourself.
I think you're 100% right. -thanks least.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is a tough one. I have been around family members who are weak and suffering. So my last memory of them is their end of life situation which is not pretty. My dad in particular. He's been gone since 2006 and when he was in the hospital following his last stroke I visited regularly and took my children to see him. My brother did not visit much or take his children to visit their grandfather in the hospital. My nephews did not even visit one time because my brother did not want them to see him in such a condition. Now my dad has been gone since 2006. One brother has regrets regarding their decision. Can you guess which one?
Old 04-04-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
One brother has regrets regarding their decision. Can you guess which one?

If it's the one who kept his distance, that won't be me with the regret. I've said and made peace with my father already. Watching him wither away-for me-is a bit self destructive after sleeping on it and listening to what everyone else had to say. I can still talk with him on the phone. I'm just not gonna go insert myself into a situation that for me, is sticky at best.

thanks for the input.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmmm. I can only give you my perspective.

I just got back from care giving for my parents for 3 weeks. To say it was a brutal trip would be an understatement. And now I'm dealing with my very selfish, but totally amazing, 18 yr old. She's not 'bad' she's just being a kid.

I was just thinking this morning how selfish people are. I have 4 of the most selfish brothers in the world. My parents are a no brainer...I would do about anything to help them at the end of their lives. But my brothers just really **** me off. My kid makes me irritable too but she's doing normal stuff. I'm just tired of no one caring a small shlit about me. But ya know, that's on me. And I can't feel sorry for myself because self pity is a demon. Its all in how I respond.

I watched my husband die so I know how traumatic that can be. But what was the alternative? Not be there for him? Death is scary but it is something we all share and learning to deal with it in as healthy a way as possible is important, I believe. His death didn't happen to me. Watching my parents disintegrate is also brutal...actually harder than watching someone die. Because its slow and I feel afraid and powerless. But I know I would want my daughter to be there for me, if she could. If she couldn't I would accept that but that would be lonely.

I think we learn about 'the end' through our parents. We learn about the aging process and what it means to face our last days by caring for others. That's just my opinion. And all the fear of death? I get it, sort of, but it is simply one of the most natural parts of living. Not saying I'm excited about a long, painful, dementia ridden final decade...but, it is what it is.

We all have our own narrative and live our own journey. I invite you to write whatever narrative works for you and then accept it. That way you aren't wracked with self doubt or guilt.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey BD - this is tough and I really relate.

Here's a part from you that hits home with me:
"Whether people understood or not, if something threatened my sobriety, it had to go. That's it. So that's why I've thrown distance there. It's one of the very few things that really mess with me.
I just don't know how not to feel bad about it."

The dilemma is real. I am 100% with you on putting my recovery Before. Everything. Else. My husband knows it, my family knows it, heck my AA friends and my non-AA friends from my other recovery group knows it...because I get the privilege of having him, them, everything beautiful - and tough- in my life because it does.

Acceptance of other people? I wish I had the answer to being in that place all the time, not going back and forth. Am I a pleaser and a fixer? Yes, still. Do I know it's bad for me a lot of the time? Yes.

What I can say is to do your best to act with love. I don't think I will regret doing that, no matter what happens. Watching someone who sounds like your dad, essentially bent on living and likely dying wretchedly (for whatever reason someone does, including that group of hopeless cases as the BB describes them) sucks - and we can't do a single thing about it after we express the deep concern, and that love.

At this point in my recovery, I do my best to pick and choose, so to speak, interactions that are both OK for my emotional sobriety- AND that I can honestly say that I can handle, even if they are challenging. I hope all this makes sense.

Take care of you first - honestly- and act with love. My $0.02.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
But I know I would want my daughter to be there for me, if she could. If she couldn't I would accept that but that would be lonely.
I'm sorry for the loss of your husband. I know it takes a lot to be there for those who need you there. You may be stronger than I am.

Having said that...I'm very opinionated about it. Would I want my wife and daughter there for me?

honestly? No.

If i got a fatal diagnosis, I'd probably write a letter and disappear to save anyone I loved the pain I suffered through when I was much younger. Maybe that makes me a bastard, but, and I can only speak for me...it would be the best way to go, i think...for everyone.

I respect and admire your ability to do the unselfish thing. I'm not built that way anymore.

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Hey BD - this is tough and I really relate.

Here's a part from you that hits home with me:
"Whether people understood or not, if something threatened my sobriety, it had to go. That's it. So that's why I've thrown distance there. It's one of the very few things that really mess with me.
I just don't know how not to feel bad about it."

The dilemma is real. I am 100% with you on putting my recovery Before. Everything. Else. My husband knows it, my family knows it, heck my AA friends and my non-AA friends from my other recovery group knows it...because I get the privilege of having him, them, everything beautiful - and tough- in my life because it does.

Acceptance of other people? I wish I had the answer to being in that place all the time, not going back and forth. Am I a pleaser and a fixer? Yes, still. Do I know it's bad for me a lot of the time? Yes.

What I can say is to do your best to act with love. I don't think I will regret doing that, no matter what happens. Watching someone who sounds like your dad, essentially bent on living and likely dying wretchedly (for whatever reason someone does, including that group of hopeless cases as the BB describes them) sucks - and we can't do a single thing about it after we express the deep concern, and that love.

At this point in my recovery, I do my best to pick and choose, so to speak, interactions that are both OK for my emotional sobriety- AND that I can honestly say that I can handle, even if they are challenging. I hope all this makes sense.

Take care of you first - honestly- and act with love. My $0.02.
thank you for relating that...that's almost exactly what I was thinking.
I really appreciate you.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad it resonated BD, back and forth. Helpful to me too.

And Frick! Really glad you chimed in, especially about your daughter. My step daughter is 17 and I've been in the picture as the gf/fiance/now stepmom for 3 yrs. So that is a huge developmental period for her, not to mention the laundry list of stuff she has to deal with on top of the "norm." Remembering that she is a kid still, like you said, is something I try to keep at the forefront- and not letting my feelings get hurt/not holding onto it...a struggle sometimes but better for me if I categorize it that way (even the times I actually know she's meant to hurt me- which, in a happy way, have come out thru her initiative to go to therapy, and having her dad join her, and sharing)...
Old 04-04-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

BullDog.......you may want to look at the reason this bothers you so much, when you clearly love your father. Perhaps it triggers fear that you'll someday wind up the same way? When I have a very strong reaction to someone else typically fear is at play.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
BullDog.......you may want to look at the reason this bothers you so much, when you clearly love your father. Perhaps it triggers fear that you'll someday wind up the same way? When I have a very strong reaction to someone else typically fear is at play.
Of course I don't want to end up like him, but there are options. He chooses to do nothing.

In my mind, why the hell should I put myself through any of it when he chooses to close himself off to the possibility of any treatment?

I felt bad about it last night....I really don't anymore because of what I just wrote.

Think about it....why would I chose to "be there" and tear myself up and put myself through all the heartache when he refuses to do anything to help himself?

My investment requires great emotional sacrifice.....he just has to continue to be a coward. Wtf is my payoff? What's his stake in any of it.?

It's not like he's been working and working towards a solution and he gets nowhere...he gave up before he started. So why should I do anything because he obviously couldn't give 2 s#its what me or my mother's feelings are on it. Or how much of it is a struggle for her to have to watch.

If he was fighting for something, it would be a completely different conversation. Most of my "fear", I think, you're confusing for anger over his lack of will to help himself.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Maybe not fear - resentment? I totally get the "wtf is in this for me" feelings - I KNOW 100% if my mom was still an active alcoholic or even in a place that seemed dicey for relapse, etc, it would be resentment waiting to happen, probably take me right back to stuff from my childhood and teens (you mention early stuff around that).