Notices

Two alcoholic relatives in household.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two alcoholic relatives in household.

I live with my aunt, her daughter and my mother. Both my mother and aunt are heavy alcoholics. They are lovely people when not under the influence of alcohol, but once they drink they become really pissy and aggressive. They start arguing and sometimes even physically attack each other. This has lead to us having to relocate housing on multiple occasions because the situation has gotten so bad. I had to break their fights and arguments up very frequently, sometimes to no avail. I have talked to them about it a lot, but nothing gets to them. My mother works often, and comes back tired. She drinks to relax. She is an extremely kind person, whose personality turns a 180 once drunk. She becomes spiteful and irritable. The same thing can be said about my aunt, as she also becomes very spiteful and irritable. Their drinking doesn't always lead to arguments, but my heart sinks when i know that they have started drinking. I get this indescribable emotion of fear, its almost as if my heart is in a vice. I do not have any other relatives i can ask for help, as my father does not live with us anymore. I don't really know what to do and just feel lost. I can provide more information if you ask for it. Thank you

- KZ
Old 03-22-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds really tough. Yes more information would be good. You said you have no other relatives. I’m guessing because of your age or other reasons you may not be able to move out on your own? One thought would be to also check out the friends and families forum to help start thinking of ways you don’t have to be captive to their decisions to drink. Or at least be trapped as little as possible in it. I am thinking of you and sending you support.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by FlavourKSmack View Post
I live with my aunt, her daughter and my mother. Both my mother and aunt are heavy alcoholics. They are lovely people when not under the influence of alcohol, but once they drink they become really pissy and aggressive. They start arguing and sometimes even physically attack each other. This has lead to us having to relocate housing on multiple occasions because the situation has gotten so bad. I had to break their fights and arguments up very frequently, sometimes to no avail. I have talked to them about it a lot, but nothing gets to them. My mother works often, and comes back tired. She drinks to relax. She is an extremely kind person, whose personality turns a 180 once drunk. She becomes spiteful and irritable. The same thing can be said about my aunt, as she also becomes very spiteful and irritable. Their drinking doesn't always lead to arguments, but my heart sinks when i know that they have started drinking. I get this indescribable emotion of fear, its almost as if my heart is in a vice. I do not have any other relatives i can ask for help, as my father does not live with us anymore. I don't really know what to do and just feel lost. I can provide more information if you ask for it. Thank you

- KZ
I'm sorry your in this situation it sounds like a tough environment to live in, that feeling of fear of what may happen that evening is horrible. I too have grew up in the environment and it really sucks and leaves you with anxiety. I take it moving in with someone else isn't an option either, a friend or close family friend that may help?

There is groups in AA for support for family members of alcoholics maybe heading there for some support too.

I know for me the only relief from that environment was moving out and even then I did still worry about them.

I hope you get some peace from the situation soon.