Notices

Mindfulness, Meditation, Yoga?

Old 01-15-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mindfulness, Meditation, Yoga?

I would love to hear people's experiences with mindfulness, meditation, or yoga.

What does your practice look like?

How does it help your sobriety and daily life?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pathway,
I do at least 30 minutes of yoga daily, in the morning if at all possible, after coffee but before any meals. I do intermittent fasting so lunch is my first meal. I started with sarahbethyoga and graduated to fiveparksyoga on youtube, both free. Losing weight/getting fit was a big motivator when I quit drinking, as I’m in my mid 40’s and my overall fitness level was in the toilet.

It’s paid dividends, and with the variety in practices boredom hasn’t been an issue so I’ve kept it up for a year and a half now. I’m not a fan of gyms or spending money on workout gear so my nightgown and 8$ yoga mat works for me.

I haven’t been able to get into meditation, but I have had the breathing practice that is part of yoga come in very handy during times of anxiety (like when I have to speak to a group). So I think there’s something there.

It’s helped me stay sober as my fitness/body is now something I’ve really invested in. I also am much better at dealing with worry/anxiety/life, as I feel calmer and more grounded. I really miss it when I’m unable to spend that time. It can also easily be scaffolded for different abilities or even how your feeling on a given day.

Highly recommend!
-bora
Old 01-15-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

As part of my exploration into my anxiety issues, i've done quite a bit of exploration into mindfulness and meditation, but no yoga yet. I have done a lot of reading, some podcasts, and try to set aside time for meditation too. It has been one of the best tools for my anxiety, which I view as a component of recovering.

It helps a lot in my daily life because i'm able to remain calmer and make more well thought out decisions both in my work and my personal life. And just like my addiction, acceptance is a big part of the picture.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Yoga is way too slow for me, it makes me want to claw my eyes out. Trust me, I've tried, as it would be SO good for me physically. I do use physical exercise as mindfullness, but usually hiking or weight training.

I need a kick in the ass on meditation. Thinking about starting Refuge Recovery, which is a Buddhist-based method, and there are a number of meetings here in Los Angeles.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

I do 30-60 minutes of vipassana meditation every day, either 1 30min or 2 if I'm ambitious. It's helped me greatly dealing with my anxious high-strung nature and really has revolutionized my entire outlook on life. I got started with Dan Harris's excellent book 10% Happier, read it back in Feb. 2018, highly recommended. I started by just closing my eyes and paying attention to my breath for 5 minutes, just amazing what a powerful weapon the human mind is when it gets a little training!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I meditate every day. Initially, on a secular basis but for the past 5 years as part of my faith. Integrated into meditation is the practice of mindfulness in order to ensure you do not let your focus drift. Meditation is an essential part of my recovery plan. Now it is simply who I am
Old 01-15-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is a really good meditation app called Aware.

Lifetime membership is about £80 but the developers will give this free to anyone suffering addiction or mental health problems. Just need to email them and state briefly why it would help. They don't pry. I sent a brief email saying I had some addiction and anxiety issues, and very quickly got a lifetime membership code.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good topic Mindfulness is really helpful for me, as well as guided Chakra meditation. I'm still educating myself about chakras since I've only learned of it just over a year ago, but it's definitely helped me balance myself out better than the mess I was before!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are a ton of free meditation apps including guided meditation, a great way to start out.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great topic and much on my mind of late. Well, especially of 2017-2018 when I finally started hot yoga, built up a practice to 6-7 days at week at 60-75 min a session, and felt about the best I ever have.

And....also much on my mind since a back injury in Mar 2018 that flattened me, ha. Emotionally as much or more as physically- because that's how significant it had become to my well being in every way. Fast forward (ha, again) to 5 wks ago and I was finally able to start a regular practice....at 3x wk for 60 min.

It's tough - and not just for my back (still) but my mind. Yoga became my meditation, really, bc I haven't had much luck with the still kind (honestly, I haven't given it a solid effort either) and getting my head in the right space is a re-training process as well.

Emotional sobriety is always my main focus as I believe everything else, up to and certainly including physical sobriety, stems from there.

Today's yoga day so - that's good. I'm also seeing my psych and we have a pastoral counseling appt. All good things for my well being
Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

boreas
Thanks for sharing your yoga routine! It sounds great what you're doing!

I also once used one of the breathing techniques when I was at the beginning stages of a panic attack in the car.

I love hearing that yoga has made you calmer and more grounded!
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
ScottfromWI
I remember reading posts of yours in the past how mindfulness and meditation helped with your anxiety.

I'm curious, have you had any negative experiences with meditation?

What is your daily meditation routine like?

And just like my addiction, acceptance is a big part of the picture.
I'm not sure I follow....meditation has helped you with acceptance?
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Mindfulman
That's too funny! I get what you're saying. I've done all three and find them all mindful in their own way. They all help to focus within and quiet the mind.

Please post about Refuge Recovery when you go! I'm curious to hear about it. One of my friends who left AA told me about those meetings. There's also a book too I think.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
SnazzyDresser
I'm not familiar with vipassana meditation. It's cool there are so many different types.

My husband and I read 10% Happier a while ago. I really enjoyed it. I like how relatable it was, especially for people who want a more western way of practicing meditation. His experience at the sanctuary where he meditated all day I think it was, sort of scared me, though. I'm not sure how much silence I could take at one time, either.

When I'm disciplined enough to sit, close my eyes, and focus on my breath, I do find even though the mind chatter seems incessant, I am calmer during the day.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Kaneeda888
That's so cool you meditate every day. What type do you do?

How do you incorporate mindfulness throughout the day when you're not meditating?

Meditation is an essential part of my recovery plan. Now it is simply who I am
That's so inspiring!
sherlockholmes2
Thanks, Sherlock. I will check the app out. That is so cool they give it to free for those of us suffering from addiction/mental health problems.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
Purpleplrks3647
Love the snoopy meditation icon!

How do you practice mindfulness besides meditation?

One of the yoga classes I go focuses on the chakras. It's very interesting. She focuses on a chakra a week. I feel like all of my chakras are out of balance! lol

Can you share websites/resources you're using to educate yourself about them? Stuff I try to read on google seems to technical/deep for a beginner.
NYCDoglvr
I also found in my experience that guided meditations (I used Insight Timers or stuff from youtube) were great to start with.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
August252015
I admire you for doing hot yoga for most days of the week! Hot yoga intimidates me, but I know people who do it love it. How does it feel different than doing cardio or other exercise?

What did you do in its place when you injured your back?

I get a lot of your posts on SR because of your focus on emotional sobriety.

Thanks everyone for a great thread!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Path- thanks for the note back to me! I was definitely intimidated by yoga for a long time (years) and got into it slowly using videos at home. Finally I just decided to go for it and joined a studio. I've always been a runner so yoga really helped more than I could have imagined with flexibility, and gaining strength in other parts of my body that hadn't been historically as strong as my legs.

My studio has 2 types of classes and one is more of an "active flow" and the other positions. I've gained (well, now need to regain!) much better balance. It also seems like I have narrowed the gap between how my stronger side of the body and my weaker side have to compensate for each other.

Funny you ask about replacement stuff - my husband and I do some kind of 'monthly activity' each year. In 2017 it was a 5K a month. In 2018 it was some different kind of physical exercise a month. So Jan was roller skating, Feb a 5K (15K for me), Mar was indoor rock climbing, April was outdoor yoga....it was mid-April when the injury had seemed better then fully took over - we eventually found out it was a hernia. So June we did Sky Yoga (very cool - you do yoga in ribbons), July a couples massage, Aug barely made it to a yoga class, Sep a 5K (walk- that was scary for me as I hadn't run or walked since the spring), Oct was hatchet throwing, and Nov was yoga again. Dec was a night of high heels at our anniversary party and a round of couples massages.

I did PT for 20 wks and after the first round was cleared to do yoga, so I tried a few classes and that's why we did yoga those months. Then I hit a real down turn again and ultimately got an epidural in Nov, and went back to yoga 5 wks ago. Today was pretty good. My pain has been up in the last week, though, so I am waiting to see what the end of the week brings and considering a dr visit.

I write all this out not just bc you asked but also as a share that this whole experience is absolutely one of the toughest emotional ones I have had so far. I was solidly depressed for a good 10-14 days back in April. I ultimately had to decide my body just can't take being a server, so have been finding a new home in the restaurant industry. I also came to the next significant emotional challenge in my life - beginning with my step son's near suicide in Sep, through my step-daughters sudden declaration that she wouldn't come to our big party Dec 1 (we hadn't shared our marriage with anyone so they were thinking this was actually the wedding party) about three weeks before - and I didn't have my yoga tool to help me stay balanced.

Just gotta keep going, right? I like hearing what works for others even if I don't try it right away
Old 01-16-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Pathway

I am practising Buddhism so I do a mixture of shamatha (calm abiding) and vipassana (insight) meditations. However, you dont have to be Buddhist to do shamatha ! That is the practice which I believe is used for secular meditation as one way is to focus on your breath. Lots of articles on it. For me, the key was to start meditating in super short time periods (5 minutes) but to do it in the same place and at the same time every day. After a few weeks, I got accustomed to the practice and then began to make the meditations longer.

Staying mindful all day is not easy especially as I daydream a lot . I guess its practicing self awareness all the time. Meditation helps with that as well. Gradually, you become very aware of your thoughts and emotions. Doing a body scan also helps (stop and focus on each part of your body from toes up to head). Focusing on your breath (is it calm, ragged, short, long, smooth, etc). My general rule is that if I feel anxious it means I am focusing on the future. Stop ! If I am worried, it means I am focusing on the past. Stop ! I guess the main thing is to practice, practice, practice. Oh and be kind to yourself. Thats important. Dont berate yourself if you start wandering !
Old 01-16-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
I would love to hear people's experiences with mindfulness, meditation, or yoga.

What does your practice look like?

How does it help your sobriety and daily life?
Mindfulness has been the most important part of my recovery. I try to do some breathing exercises a few times a day. I go for daily walks in nature, and just clear my mind of anything else going on. There are some great apps. Insight timer and Calm are two.

I need to get back into yoga more.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Reading with interest.

I know yoga would benefit me, but I just don’t enjoy it, I also don’t like actively meditating. I do, however enjoy “flow” when I am out in nature. Being outside and moving puts me into a state of relaxation and mindlessness...most recently with some gardening projects with hands in dirt for an extended period and also walking at sunset, with the dog, in a natural area. I need more of this.

Earlier in sobriety I was using CrossFit to cope and getting very strong....but I think it caused some adrenal fatigue. I had quite a crash for awhile.

Now I’ve been using food to cope, which is absolutely the wrong direction, and a cross addiction for me.

I’ve been trying to come up with a strategy, I have some personal changes afoot. Thinking about how I’m going to go about this.

Good thread, esp for sober folks.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My favorite movie is “silver linings playbook.”

The therapist in that movie has a couple of memorable lines.

One is, “one incident can change a lifetime.”

Another: “When you have these feelings, you have to have a strategy.”

In other words: the feelings will come. I will deal with it either way, so what will be my strategy to deal with it in a way that helps and soothes me?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Pathway I definitely need to get back into exercise/yoga, etc....

With mindfulness I try to just stay in the moment if possible and not get too overwhelmed or stressed about the future....easier said than done, right?!?

My chakras were way off balance as well; I had no idea! Still a lot of work to do....I have a Chakra Meditation Kit which I found at a local Metaphysical/book/gift shop...it includes contemplation cards, a guided meditation cd and a guidebook (Authors Amy Zerner and Monte Farber)

I also have a box of Chakra Wisdom Oracle Cards: "The complete spiritual toolkit for transforming your life" by Tori Hartman

Old 01-17-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Instead of quoting everyone's posts in individual post-replies, I thought I'd just reply to everyone in one post. But this is for everyone to read. I hope this is helpful.

August
It was interesting reading your experience. I love your idea of trying something new once a month. I am sorry to hear of all the difficult emotional challenges you've had lately. That's so cool that what you learned in yoga is helping to keep you balanced through it all.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Kaneda8888
Nice to see a practicing Buddhist on SR. I was curious about Buddhism before I joined AA. It's interesting there are so many different types of meditations.
I also found that if I just meditated for 5 minutes same time same place, meditation became a habit. But then I got undisciplined about it.

I like how you say that mindfulness is like practicing self awareness all the time. Step 10/11 of the big book sort of go into that, but I find that actual mindfulness practices do a better job with it. I've found that non judgemental self awareness of my thoughts and behaviors has been the #1 key component of my growth in recovery.

I tried a body scan a couple of times. I liked doing those when I can't sleep. I also notice during the day if I'm tensing a part of my body. I never had that awareness before.

I guess the main thing is to practice, practice, practice. Oh and be kind to yourself. Thats important. Dont berate yourself if you start wandering !
Thank you for saying this.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Delilah1
Mindfulness has been the most important part of my recovery. I try to do some breathing exercises a few times a day. I go for daily walks in nature, and just clear my mind of anything else going on. There are some great apps. Insight timer and Calm are two.
It's great to hear others see the benefit of mindfulness in recovery. I hope this will spark some more interest on the topic on SR. It sounds like you're keeping it simple and it's working well.

I need to get back into yoga more.
I just restarted after a mostly 20 year lapse, relearning the basics. I go to a studio that doesn't just focus on asanas. I had no idea how yoga is really all about connecting with breath.
Stayingsassy
I know yoga would benefit me, but I just don’t enjoy it, I also don’t like actively meditating.
No point in doing something you don't enjoy. I will say that I hated yoga when I first started as well as meditation because I was too much in my own head about it.

I do, however enjoy “flow” when I am out in nature. Being outside and moving puts me into a state of relaxation and mindlessness...most recently with some gardening projects with hands in dirt for an extended period and also walking at sunset, with the dog, in a natural area. I need more of this.
I am so glad you brought up "flow"! I forgot all about this. It's an important component of mindfulness and positive psychology. When I'm in the flow of something I'm not lost in the chatter of my mind.

Earlier in sobriety I was using CrossFit to cope and getting very strong....but I think it caused some adrenal fatigue. I had quite a crash for awhile.
I've heard that about CrossFit. To me, it just seems like way too much work and strain on the body.

Now I’ve been using food to cope, which is absolutely the wrong direction, and a cross addiction for me.
That's not uncommon. Mindful Eating is a fascinating subject, if that helps.
I’ve been trying to come up with a strategy, I have some personal changes afoot. Thinking about how I’m going to go about this.
Good luck! If it helps to share something my previous therapist said--(paraphrasing) "addiction is like Wack-a-mole. You'll just keep switching addictions until you resolve the root cause." Or something like that.

My favorite movie is “silver linings playbook.”
That was a good movie. It just was triggering for me personally because the parents were emotionally supportive of him, and I never got any emotional support from my family.

The therapist in that movie has a couple of memorable lines.

One is, “one incident can change a lifetime.”

Another: “When you have these feelings, you have to have a strategy.”

In other words: the feelings will come. I will deal with it either way, so what will be my strategy to deal with it in a way that helps and soothes me?
I'd forgotten that. It truly is all about feelings and how we deal with them. If we were taught to stuff down feelings, or that our feelings don't matter, to not have feelings, etc., that's where I think it all starts from. I like the line you quoted. When I am aware of my feelings now, I observe them without judgement. I no longer deny my feelings, pretend I'm not having them, run away from them, jump into addiction to avoid feeling them, or allow them to bottle up and then come out sideways. Mindfulness has been key for me even though I still have a lot more to learn on the subject. I'm glad to read it's helping so many others, too.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oooh, that movie sounds right up my alley. That strategy quote is so me!

And, re food. From my teens days battling anorexia and through the rest of my decades, one of the truly content places I was happened back at that high point in mentioned before the back injury. In short, the ice cream etc became a huge problem again during the first couple months of the back injury (I actually did a Step one on ice cream when I realized how anxious I was about having "enough" in the freezer like I did with vodka) and I was miserable at the weight I gained. knew I wasn't happy and wanted to lose it by our party Dec 1, so I pretty much switched to comfort shopping. I've got a clear pattern.....

Oh and yesterday my therapist and I discussed that it is good I am not using sleep as "a substitute for drinking" - ie escapism - the way I have needed to use it sometimes during my recovery. It was a good coping mechanism for a long time but now that I know I have plenty of other tools for dealing with emotions, I have to be honest about using that one. It's not a bad substitute for stress etc, in and of itself, but getting too far away from when a short nap is needed (I am not a good sleeper) and when I'm actually "napping" from 3-6, getting up for a few minutes to say hello to my husband and going right back to bed.....
Old 01-17-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
With mindfulness I try to just stay in the moment if possible and not get too overwhelmed or stressed about the future....easier said than done, right?!?
Yes if it were only that easy! lol

My chakras were way off balance as well; I had no idea! Still a lot of work to do....I have a Chakra Meditation Kit which I found at a local Metaphysical/book/gift shop...it includes contemplation cards, a guided meditation cd and a guidebook (Authors Amy Zerner and Monte Farber)
It's funny because after one of the yoga instructors went through all the chakras in different weeks, I said to her that I think mine are all out of balance. She smiled and said she thought that too about hers.
I also have a box of Chakra Wisdom Oracle Cards: "The complete spiritual toolkit for transforming your life" by Tori Hartman
Thank you for sharing your resources with us. I'll have to look around for a metaphysical store.

I sawthis book at a spiritual type health store recently:
A Little Bit of Chakras: An Introduction to Energy Healing (Little Bit Series) . It looked like a good intro.