Notices

3-Day Weekends, post sobriety

Old 01-03-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

3-Day Weekends, post sobriety

We all just came off the holiday season. Those of us that were sober going into it, hope you persevered and made it through! My "Rolling back the tape" thread caused me to just do that: ponder back to extended weekends, plowing through fifths (or handles!) of bourbon or vodka (if I wanted to be sneaky). Get started the night before, wake up feeling like death, only to be back at it by mid-morning. Couldn't remember anything that happened beyond mid-afternoon. Next day, start all over. And the day after that. First day back at work was pure horror, and every time was worst than the last time.

I remember my first sober three-day weekend... I shocked myself at how much I was able to get done, be it outside chores or inside projects. Multiple trips to Home Depot... I'd go late into the evening trying to get "one more thing done." I ran myself so ragged that I'd fall asleep at the dinner table. At bedtime, I'd be asleep when my head hit the pillow. It drove my wife *nuts*, but it was a good *nuts*. Better than being blacked out by 2pm. And the best part? I remember what happened, both the good and the not so good.

I could go on. Sometimes rolling back the tape isn't always a bad thing, but can sometimes make a person feel like they can be successful in sobriety.

Happy New Years to all.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Loved the rolling it back thread, Steve! I still to this day, I roll back, play forward, pause replay etc! It’s works for me!,

Great stuff, thanks for sharing! Wishing you the best in 2019! It’s going to be a good year!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, I need this right now. I am having strong cravings right now. It is after 3 PM, which is the tail end of my trigger time and I am bored. Need to do something and get past this.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aren't they fun?

I love any type of weekend, but by all means 3 day weekends.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel like this post was specifically written for me. This describes my weekend experience for the last few years exactly. The times I could actually fend off the drink I was shocked at what life was actually like without it. You are right; the weekends become so much more productive and fulfilling. Thanks for sending this out as a reminder. Have not had a drink since Sunday this week was somewhat dreading the weekend but this is a great reminder.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

I was out walking the dog the other night in my yard and i recalled when i used to walk the dog when i was drunk. I remember going out totally drunk barely able to walk it would be super cold and dark and i'd wonder if i'd make it back to the front door. I'd be totaly obliterated too.

I realized i dont miss that.