Notices

I need to recant police report

Old 11-11-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to recant police report

I gave too much information to the police while drunk. I was awoken in bed by them in my room and didn't know why they were at my house and said way too much. I didn't expect the consequences would hurt someone else.

I want to recant the statement but I know my lawyer is going to say not to because I am on probation.

Should I wait and tell my probation officer? I don't even think if I confess or recant it will change anything.

Essentially, I was worried about someone's safety, but I said too much. I asked the police who showed up at my house to go check on the person, which they did, but it didn't end well for that person.

Last edited by worstperson; 11-11-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Add
Old 11-11-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To clarify, I definitely didn't call them to my house and I had no idea why they were there. I'm on probation and wouldn't intentionally draw attention to myself. So I just answered their questions and explained someone was overreacting to a break-up and they should probably go over there because he had been suicidal in the past. I shouldn't have sent them over there.

I honestly wish this person didn't have the mentality that the police are somehow his friends or exist to solve his personal problems. I didn't even say anything that would cause him to call them to my house. I just fell asleep and didn't answer the phone. :/
Old 11-11-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2/2016

Did you commit a crime? were the police questioning you about a crime you committed? if not then stop with this drama.

do not have more contact with the police, do not cause more drama.

if in doubt contact a lawyer
Old 11-11-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like it's not about you and its over.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you supposed to be drinking while on probation? I think you have reason to worry if they came over and you were drunk/passed out.

I guess you have to let it play out. Be honest, that's all you can do. If you were drunk, how do you know what happened between you and the person who called?
Old 11-11-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If there are legal implications, talk to a lawyer.

And above and beyond everything, don’t drink. When we ( alcoholics ) do, we are reponsible for whatever we did when drunk, even if we didn’t “mean” to do it.

You can’t contol the lives of others, but you can control your choices today. Glad you came here for help, you will find a lot of support for quitting and staying quit.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No, I didn't commit a crime I don't think. But I want to retract my statement, and you can be charged if you decide to tell police you made up a story. Which is the only way to get him off the hook unfortunately. I didn't make anything up, he was threatening to kill himself and called the police on me for some reason.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have no restrictions on alcohol while on probation. I just need to stay out of trouble and report to my PO once in a while.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't know if it's possible to retract your statement; however, what's done is done and this other person sounds like they definitely needed help. If they called the police, then they have to face the consequences, and whatever ever those consequences are, they are not your fault.

This person doesn't sound like someone you need to be associated with.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by worstperson View Post
I have no restrictions on alcohol while on probation. I just need to stay out of trouble and report to my PO once in a while.
Even if you have no legal restrictions regarding alcohol, it’s still getting you in trouble. You very likely wouldn’t be in the situation you are now if you hadn’t been drunk at the time.

If what you said to the police was the truth, I’d have to say that you need to accept it and move on
Old 11-11-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know. Unfortunately saying the truth is sometimes worse than not saying anything at all. Like, the reason why you keep thoughts to yourself while not drinking. :'(

I was watching this KGB spy doc and they were trained to go "drinking" with someone, only to drink water instead of vodka while the suspicious person was actually drinking. Because it's essentially impairing normal inhibitions. Ugh. I know all this.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would no longer associate with someone who called the police to MY house over THEIR nonsense/drama. I don't do drama,especially other people's drama. "ain't nobody got time fo dat!" I'd be pissed at him...but yeah..sounds like drinking isn't working for you either way and that's where your focus should be...on your problems.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah. This isn't the first time. I was a little frustrated when I read my text messages and saw the call log when I got back to bed. He wants to solve everything immediately and I need to stop, think, cool down, sleep, then assess. I told him he needed to leave me alone sometimes, but he always needs to save me or something and I need to do that on my own. He even told my friend that, that he was trying to save me. That is my responsibility alone.

I hope he realizes why it didn't work out between us and doesn't harbor hatred forever. I don't hate him or wish him harm. I just need to start a new life and he does too.

Thanks for mentioning that. I haven't considered why things got to this point yet. I have just felt guilty because I do love him and I don't want to see him hurt. I am still feeling terrible but we really needed to go our own ways. I'm sorry it got to this point, but something really big had to happen for the change because I love him so much and my heart aches. I hope he's okay and moves on to better meadows or whatever the saying is.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your post sounded so familiar to me....I think I read it on another forum. Ha...I'm searching around here thinking what the heck?

Anyway, talk with you lawyer. Hopefully you'll stop drinking. Then ya never have to worry about crazy drunk stuff again.

Last edited by entropy1964; 11-11-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: I'm a dumb azz